scooter scavenger hunt*NEW*week one- scooters at the library

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sailortot

scooter scavenger hunt*NEW*week one- scooters at the library

Post by sailortot »

scooter scavenger hunt week one- scooters at the library
sept 7-13
this hunt will end midnight your time on saturday.

EVERYONE should be able to join our first round.

3 pts- your scooter and a library (no bookstores)

plus...

3 pts if it is an academic library at a college or university

10 pts if it is a FAMOUS library (the library of congress, for example). you can find a list at the bottom of this site.

1 pt if you are in the picture (full body. camera timers may be essential for this to happen.)

props:

1 pt if youre holding a copy of just any book, but you must tell us why you chose that particular one. (no magazines, instruction manuals, etc)

3 pts if youre holding a classic novel like moby dick or 1984. you can find a list here. pm me if you are questioning a certain book that isnt on the list.

6 pts if youre dressed like a character in the book youre holding. huck finn would not be wearing a corazzo jacket and capris.

happy hunting!

same rules apply:
-A new photo subject added every sunday. Participants will have until the following saturday to post their pic (TAKEN THAT WEEK) .
-Only one photo may be submitted by each member for each week’s subject. (but if you get a better pic later in the week, PLEASE edit your original post note that you posted a better pic and note in the newer post that it is a replacement for a previous pic.
-Old photos you have lying around can NOT be used- they must be NEW photos taken the week the photo subject was posted
-10 BONUS POINTS (good anytime all summer) for a photo of you getting a ticket (photo must include your scooter & a cop writing the ticket) only one of these may be submitted per player. (Thanks to kazoo for the suggestion)
(Edit – you don’t have to be REALLY getting a ticket… if you can get a cop to pose like he/she is writing you a ticket, that is good enough)
-No Photoshop submissions
-Prize? Sure, if we can figure out a way to do that, but the real prize will be bragging rights & all the fun we all had all summer.
Last edited by sailortot on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Great topic!
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Woohoo! Thanks!
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
m. gorhon

Post by m. gorhon »

awesome subject!

crap!

scooty is back in the shop for some fine tuning on the prima pipe! i hope he is ready before the end of the week.

we have SO many libraries here it's ridiculous.

::fingers crossed that he will be ready by saturday::
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

glad you all like the idea.......now go get those pictures! :D

m.gorhon, i sure hope you get to join this weeks hunt, but if not, please jump on board for next weeks.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

3 pts- your scooter and a library (no bookstores)
1 pt if you are in the picture
1 pt if youre holding a copy of just any book, but you must tell us why you chose that particular one.
I am holding a copy of Florida Roadkill by Tim Dorsey www.timdorsey.com
Tim is my favorite author topic7515.html
5 points
Last edited by ScootLemont on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I haven't even read the subject, and can't till later, buy thank you for bringing purposer back into my life! :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bwahahahaha. I went to 2 libraries yesterday! Dang! That's okay, I go pretty frequently. Much like riding mass transit in L.A., half my friends make fun of me and half say, "Really? The library? Huh… Well, that's cool." I actually have cards for 4 different area public library systems, all in LA county. Nuts, huh?

Photo forthcoming! I'm in this one!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

I am definatly gonna get in this scavenger hunt. The last one I was only able to participate once.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Great topic sailtortot....but Ashland doesn't have any famous libraries! :lol:

But we do have a couple of libraries in town. Here's my official entry this week....and a bonus pic.

3 pts- your scooter and a library
3 pts if it is an academic library at a college or university McGraw Page Library on the campus of Randolph Macon College
1 pt if youre holding a copy of just any book. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. I think this is one of the best little story books for children AND adults that I've ever read.

8 points total

and the bonus pic....'cause I think it's a cool pic and because I can only play in 2 hunts this month! :( (Note the left-over prop from last week! I need to trade it in for the pink one they had.)

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

anyone have a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird?
If you still have your bib overalls from last week, you can be Jem or Scout Finch... come to think of it you could also be Tom Robinson or Bob Ewell, well you could be just about anyone in the book 'cept for Atticus - snappy dresser that Atticus was
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is the Powell Library at UCLA, on the linked list of "famous" libraries. I'm pretty sure I passed a sign saying "motorcycles, motor driven cycles and motorized bicycles prohibited," but campus police were scarce today. The book is "Vroom with a View," Peter Moore's travel memoir about touring the length of Italy on a vintage Vespa. I suppose you could say I was dressed as the character—a 39 year-old guy who bought a Vespa, but I won't try to claim 6 points for it. :) I chose this book because it was the smallest book on my desk as I was leaving. I've already read it, but was looking up a passage last week.

scooter & library: 3pts
academic library: 3pts
me in pic: 1pt
famous library: 10pts
holding book: 1pt
The tally: 18 points!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

and on the 15th week..... Eric finally joins the scavenger hunt
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

3 pts if it is an academic library at a university (BYU)
10 pts if it is a FAMOUS library (Harold B. Lee Library - BYU)
3 pts if youre holding a classic novel (The Call of the Wild - given to me by my parents, Christmas 1961)
6 pts if youre dressed like a character in the book youre holding. (Dressed for winter like John Thornton - I'm glad it was only about 85 degrees today :wink: )

Total = 26 pts

MB#1749 RBC#8

OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

WTG MarsR. I'm looking forward to watching you and Orange Guy go for it! It'll be interesting to see who else steps up to give you two a run for the gold!

Good luck to everyone.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

wow. you guys are making me think this one was too easy. :wink:

not really....but nicely done.

an impressive first day (and its not even over yet)!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

OScoot! wrote:I'm looking forward to watching you and Orange Guy go for it!
When Mrs. Orange Guy saw me looking at this thread earlier, she said, "I thought you were done with that! You're not going to do that all over again are you?"

I do have other things I should be focusing on ...
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I'm terribly tempted to edit the Wikipedia page to add a "famous" library in my town just for the sake of it. I can't really justify any of the local libraries as particularly famous though. It is a bit annoying that there are none of the famous ones anywhere in the midwest or south.

Oh well, I'll just have to find a costume instead!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Scooter Hoot wrote:It is a bit annoying that there are none of the famous ones anywhere in the midwest or south.
Agreed. We can only hope that one of the next three hunts is skewed in our favor and leaves the coastal folks in the dark.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Your scooter on a farm? 1 point for every cow in the picture :lol:
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Orange Guy wrote:
Scooter Hoot wrote:It is a bit annoying that there are none of the famous ones anywhere in the midwest or south.
Agreed. We can only hope that one of the next three hunts is skewed in our favor and leaves the coastal folks in the dark.
Yes....and with such huge points for "famous", that really gives those in the big cities quite an advantage. Maybe sailortot will adjust future points so that no one item skews things quite this much.

Just my 2 cents.......but then I'm not playing this time for points. :)
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

For a rules question - I noticed the bonus points for getting a ticket were still listed in the rules. Does that apply to each month's contest separately?

Having police friends could net me a "ticket" every month :-P
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

OScoot! wrote:
Orange Guy wrote:
Yes....and with such huge points for "famous", that really gives those in the big cities quite an advantage. Maybe sailortot will adjust future points so that no one item skews things quite this much.

Just my 2 cents.......but then I'm not playing this time for points. :)
Yeah, I thought that was a lot of points for a "famous" library, too. And I'm more than willing to take a hit on the points if sailortot were to decide to knock it down a little. I want to be fair. And mostly I want a good picture rather than points, but if the points are easy to get, I figure, hey, what the heck? I'll go for it. Of course, ericalm would take a hit too. And maybe some others that haven't posted yet....
MB#1749 RBC#8

Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Nah, I wouldn't advocate changing it up now that it's already started. MarsR, you earned the points and deserve them.

I am in favor of future big point items being things that are difficult to obtain, but offer an equal opportunity for all to get.

Orange Guy, Inc.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Scooter Hoot wrote:I'm terribly tempted to edit the Wikipedia page to add a "famous" library in my town just for the sake of it. I can't really justify any of the local libraries as particularly famous though. It is a bit annoying that there are none of the famous ones anywhere in the midwest or south.
I would ask sailortot if this counts, if I were you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Ideson_Building
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Orange Guy wrote:I am in favor of future big point items being things that are difficult to obtain, but offer an equal opportunity for all to get.
Looking at the famous library list, it doesn't really favor cities. It favors England. There are few anywhere in the US. Aside from the fact that I scored these points :) (I'd gladly lose some of them if points were adjusted), coming up with a spread that's completely equal to all members in all places is pretty tough. sailortot came up with some creative bonus points for props and costumes. With a little more effort, the chance to score is there. Plus, this is a 4-week hunt, so it may all balance out in the end.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

i thought the chances of getting the famous library were more slim, and thus deserved the higher points. in our last scavenger hunt we faced this same issue (ie major league parks, beaches, etc). i live in oklahoma and we have none of those things, which proves you can still earn points by taking every opportunity for bonus points and props. everyone will have opportunities throughout the hunt.

how far is chicago from our players? theres a famous library there.

if you cant get a famous library, dress up for the shot to add some points.

some hunts will favor certain areas, next week may favor yours, but ultimately, everyone will be able to play for some amount of points in every week.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sailortot wrote:how far is chicago from our players? theres a famous library there.
The library at U of C in Chicago is only 32 miles from me - I sure could ride that (although it would not be a "nice" ride (South Side of Chicago is in the way) - but I sure could do that if I wanted to)

anytime you do something intersting with a specific destination (major league ball park, national park, etc) some people might be left out - but I think it is worth it to see the interesting photos at those locations
-just my 2 cents

sailortot - this is a good start to hunt 2.0 - I might even go get another pic at another library in costume if I have a chance
Last edited by ScootLemont on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

It's 106 miles (or 1,084 in my case) to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses ... Hit it! 8)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Scooter Hoot wrote:It's 106 miles (or 1,084 in my case) to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses ... Hit it! 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

I am 11 miles from the prison in the opening of The Blues Brothers... I assume the prison had a library....
Syd

Post by Syd »

ScootLemont wrote:...I am 11 miles from the prison in the opening of The Blues Brothers... I assume the prison had a library....
And if there is a library at Joliet Correctional College, I'll bet it's a famous one!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

The wikipedia list of "famous" libraries is very *ahem* random. Why some University libraries and not others? Because someone from that University's library knows how to edit a wikipedia article. (Obviously no one from Brown University can figure out how to do since most of the other Ivies are represented. I'll have to make some calls.)

I realize you're trying to get folks to go to NYPL, Boston Public, Chicago Public, or even the new Seattle Public Library, because the pics would be beautiful, but I think if someone participating in the Hunt can make an argument and edit the article to add a local library, than by all means, do it!

*disclaimer: I am not a librarian but I live with one and socialize with many others. And I've edited several wikipedia articles :)
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

siobhan wrote:I realize you're trying to get folks to go to NYPL, Boston Public, Chicago Public, or even the new Seattle Public Library, because the pics would be beautiful, but I think if someone participating in the Hunt can make an argument and edit the article to add a local library, than by all means, do it!
So you think I should argue that the Rock Island Public Library is famous because it is the oldest in the state, founded in 1855?

Orange Guy, Inc.
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

Hi! Here's my entry at the Dowtown Dallas Library with my book of choice: "What If I Had Never Tried It", Valentino Rossi's autobiography. I chose it because we're going to MotoGP in Indy this week, and I am huge Rossi fan.

Anyways... on to the points... I think it's 5

However, I was wondering if since the book is about a motorcyclist and I am wearing a motorcycle jacket, helmet and boots if that would count (motorcycle gear). A stretch? Maybe... So, I'll leave it up to y'all.

Hasta!

Last edited by StacyB on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

nice picture stacy!

what do you guys think on the motorcycle gear as "dressed like a character"?

p.s. if anyone can find a better famous library list, let me know. otherwise, prove to us that your library is "famous." its not necessarily a requirement that your library be on that specific list.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

sailortot wrote:nice picture stacy!

what do you guys think on the motorcycle gear as "dressed like a character"?

p.s. if anyone can find a better famous library list, let me know. otherwise, prove to us that your library is "famous." its not necessarily a requirement that your library be on that specific list.
Yeah, I say the gear counts as "in character" for the book...it's a great effort and great pic!

sailortot, not trying to be a pain during your first week as Huntmistress!
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

sailortot wrote:what do you guys think on the motorcycle gear as "dressed like a character"?
Looks good to me.

Nice pic StacyB! :D
MB#1749 RBC#8

Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I vote for the gear counts as costume.

Orange Guy, Inc.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

+1 on the vote for gear as being in character.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

:D :D :D

Yea!!! Thanks everyone!!!!

11 points!!!!!
MiguelATF

Talent, Oregon Library with Edgar Allan Poe!

Post by MiguelATF »

Well, I'm a recent (new....or should I say, Newb!) Modern Buddy Member...but here's my first entry in the Scavenger Hunt. One of these days I'll have the cash to buy a Pamplona Buddy but right now, my main Scoot is a classic 1986 Honda Elite CH150 (with styling reminiscent of the old Jetsons TV show....way cool back then...and still cool now). And here's my Entry -

It's the Talent, Oregon (my hometown) Library - which gives me 3 Pts

And since I'm in the photo, that's 1 more Pt

Another 3 Pts for holding a Classic Novel - this one is 'Tales' by Edgar Allan Poe - and it actually (no, I'm not making this up) is a real bona fide 19th Century ancient edition of Poe! (does that get me extra points - for having the book published in the Same century it was written?!)

And then, I think...another 6 Pts for being dressed like a Character in the book - the character in Question is the Ape/Gorilla from Poe's classic 'Murders in the Rue Morgue' - and as you can see from my Ape mask and hands, I'm definitely in 'costume'!

So....if my Math works....that makes a total of....14 Points!

I think the only appropriate thing to add would be in the words of the Master (Edgar Allan Poe) himself....

"Nevermore"!

-Miguel
Attachments
EdgarAllanPoeRueMorgue.jpg
EdgarAllanPoeRueMorgue.jpg (42.05 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
TalentLibraryCloseUp.jpg
TalentLibraryCloseUp.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
TalentLibraryScavengerHunt.jpg
TalentLibraryScavengerHunt.jpg (45.52 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

nice 1st entry!
way to jump in with both feet
& nice elite - there is one about 6 blocks from my house - I think they are very cool (course I graduated high school in 1985)
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

i agree. fantastic first entry. way to make a good impression! the ape costume is killer.

ONLY 3 DAYS LEFT TO SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

hey sailortot,

I like that you changed the days to sun - sat. For some reason, I often couldn't get my act together with the Fri - Thu original hunt (weird,yes, because 7 days is 7 days).

And MiguelATF...fabulous pic! You shoulda had the light popped up. Gotta love the Elite.
MiguelATF

Post by MiguelATF »

siobhan wrote:hey sailortot,And MiguelATF...fabulous pic! You shoulda had the light popped up. Gotta love the Elite.
Thanks, siobhan. The thing about the pop-up lights on those old Elites is - they were originally designed to only pop up when the engine/ignition was off - but the motors which make the lights pop-up and then pop back down tended to break and it's a complicated fix - so on about 3/4 of the Elites you see (and there are quite a few of them since they are such great scoots and tend to run forever!), the headlight is stuck permanently in the up position. But mine, which I was lucky enough to buy for an xtremely reasonable price....actually has a pop-up light that works! And I had to turn the engine off cause it's uncool to have a Scooter running that close to our local Library and I didn't want to get busted.

Miguel

P.S. I'm plotting however to find a way to get one of our local Cops to actually 'bust' me in a Photo-Op for another Scavenger Hunt....or as they say in that famous old Humphrey Bogart movie - 'Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking Badges!'
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

MiguelATF wrote:P.S. I'm plotting however to find a way to get one of our local Cops to actually 'bust' me in a Photo-Op for another Scavenger Hunt....or as they say in that famous old Humphrey Bogart movie - 'Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinking Badges!'
I would like to see a photo of the cops giving you a ticket in that mask - now that shold be worth bonus points!
ScootLemont

Re: Talent, Oregon Library with Edgar Allan Poe!

Post by ScootLemont »

MiguelATF wrote:my main Scoot is a classic 1986 Honda Elite CH150 (with styling reminiscent of the old Jetsons TV show....way cool back then...and still cool now).
Cool enough for Jim McMahon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpa0lYgSWh0
Go Bears!
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Ok here is my submission.

3 pts if it is an academic library at a college or university
1 pt if you are in the picture (full body. camera timers may be essential for this to happen.)
3 pts if youre holding a classic novel like moby dick or 1984. you can find a list here. pm me if you are questioning a certain book that isnt on the list.

For 10 points.

I got a ruling that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would be considered a classic. I really wanted to find a top hat and coat with tails as well as a cane and fake beard for the in costume points but couldn't find anything that wasn't going to permanently cost me a lot of bucks. Ah well oh and Sailortot great first week choice I look forward to next week.
Attachments
Library.JPG
Library.JPG (38.25 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
m. gorhon

Post by m. gorhon »

i am getting my scooter back in the morning!

i can't wait to go take the picture and join in the fun!

and tomorrow is looking to be a nice day for a ride too!
Christy

Post by Christy »

well, unfortunately I've been away for work and now that I'm home Ike is trying to flood the entire state. We're expecting some ridiculous amount of rain tomorrow so I will probably not be able to get a pic this week...I'll try to get in next weeks challenge.
EPSP #76