Scooter thieves v. golden glove boxer

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Quo Vadimus

Scooter thieves v. golden glove boxer

Post by Quo Vadimus »

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

cool. sad thing though that a former golden glove boxer would be a custodian. I guess there are worse jobs.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:cool. sad thing though that a former golden glove boxer would be a custodian. I guess there are worse jobs.
It's not like the Golden Gloves are a fast track to a corner office. Boxing is great, but I don't think they offer college prep courses on the side!

I like that they then spend the rest of the article jumping the guy's case for fighting back. The University seems more concerned with that than with knife-wielding scooter thieves.
According to University police, the suspects were last seen running toward the Washington Avenue Bridge.

They were both described as 16- to 17-year-old East African males, approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall with thin builds.
East African?! How the heck do they know that? Weird.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

ericalm wrote: East African?! How the heck do they know that? Weird.
I noticed that too. Maybe they were wearing Obama buttons. Um, is there a macro I wasn't aware of? Is it an anti-political macro by any chance? That's great. McCain, Obama. Obama Obama Obama.
Last edited by Quo Vadimus on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
I noticed that too. Maybe they were wearing Scooby Doo buttons. Um, is there a macro I wasn't aware of? Is it an anti-political macro by any chance? That's great. Clinton, Huckleberry Hound, Palin, Scooby Doo. Scooby Doo Scooby Doo Scooby Doo.
Yup! I'll remove it once the post-election euphoria/hubbub/commiseration dies down.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
I noticed that too. Maybe they were wearing Scooby Doo buttons. Um, is there a macro I wasn't aware of? Is it an anti-political macro by any chance? That's great. Clinton, Huckleberry Hound, Palin, Scooby Doo. Scooby Doo Scooby Doo Scooby Doo.
There are a lot of "Lost Boys" from Sudan in the Fort Worth area & most are very gracious hard workers and decent human beings. That aside, I think he was referring to the way they look.

People from every part of the globe look different. Look at a photo of a generic white male from the US, England & Russia. Notice anything...even though they are all white they have a particular look to them. The space between the eyes, eyes to mouth, shape of the head. Those are characteristics, everyone has them.
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kilted texan wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:
There are a lot of "Lost Boys" from Sudan in the Fort Worth area & most are very gracious hard workers and decent human beings. That aside, I think he was referring to the way they look.

People from every part of the globe look different. Look at a photo of a generic white male from the US, England & Russia. Notice anything...even though they are all white they have a particular look to them. The space between the eyes, eyes to mouth, shape of the head. Those are characteristics, everyone has them.
There's some truth to this, but what I'm questioning is their ability to properly identify the suspects as such. The article doesn't state that the police ever saw or came into contact with them, so they're going off a description provided by the victim. Even those who think they know all the phenotypic traits of certain races or geographic regions would have difficulty making an ID based on second-hand reporting from someone who was just in an altercation or from other witnesses who saw two males, at a distance, running.

It's probably the case that there is a large East African population in the student body or community and that Minnesotans are more familiar with them. It would be like identifying someone as "Hispanic" in CA/TX/AZ/NM, etc. It stood out to me because I'm not as familiar and because the news item rather sloppily doesn't provide attribution for the description.

I lived in Fort Worth for almost 30 years and never met anyone from the Sudan. Is this a immigrant population that's grown in the past 10 years?
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

ericalm wrote: I lived in Fort Worth for almost 30 years and never met anyone from the Sudan. Is this a immigrant population that's grown in the past 10 years?
Yes. The Lost Boys have been immigrating to various parts of the US for about 10 years now. There are a few larger populations, but you can find them in a lot of places. One of the original metro regions was Minneapolis. Later on they started moving them to warmer regions like Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Miami, even Tucson has a fair number. Apparently they were having difficulty adjusting to the weather difference. They had 'seasonal depression' or whatever it's called. It was affecting them so much they were having trouble finding jobs and getting out and meeting people. So now they move to warm regions and once they have adjusted to the culture some of them will move on to northerly climates.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Maybe the custodian recognized an accent. When I lived in New Jersey I could tell the difference between a Puerto Rican and Dominican accents, and between Indian and Pakistani. Can't do it now- you have to be in it for a while and you lose it if you don't hear them.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

rabbitgod wrote:
ericalm wrote: I lived in Fort Worth for almost 30 years and never met anyone from the Sudan. Is this a immigrant population that's grown in the past 10 years?
Yes. The Lost Boys have been immigrating to various parts of the US for about 10 years now. There are a few larger populations, but you can find them in a lot of places. One of the original metro regions was Minneapolis. Later on they started moving them to warmer regions like Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Miami, even Tucson has a fair number. Apparently they were having difficulty adjusting to the weather difference. They had 'seasonal depression' or whatever it's called. It was affecting them so much they were having trouble finding jobs and getting out and meeting people. So now they move to warm regions and once they have adjusted to the culture some of them will move on to northerly climates.
There are actually hundreds here in Tucson. A lot of Somali Bantu came here from the Kenyan refugee camps as well. I spent last night tutoring four adorable Somali Bantu children :3 they call Bella my "scootercycle" ^_^
Lift heavy eat clean!
BGK

Post by BGK »

Yes, there is a very large popluation of Somali and Eritrean immigrants settled in the Minneapolis area and most within walking distance of the University.
ericalm wrote:
It's probably the case that there is a large East African population in the student body or community and that Minnesotans are more familiar with them.
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

That's cute.

The Food City on Ft. Lowell is patroned by quite a few East Africans. The Walgreens used to have a Dinka (is that right? might be confusing with another group. Definitly that region, but maybe no the right culture) cashier. And then there's Isaac over at Albertsons, I'm not sure of his culture though.

edit: on second thought the Walgreens guy might have been Nuer. I'm pretty sure he had the forhead scars. Which means Isaac might be Dinka and I was transposing the two.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

rabbitgod wrote:That's cute.

The Food City on Ft. Lowell is patroned by quite a few East Africans. The Walgreens used to have a Dinka (is that right? might be confusing with another group. Definitly that region, but maybe no the right culture) cashier. And then there's Isaac over at Albertsons, I'm not sure of his culture though.

edit: on second thought the Walgreens guy might have been Nuer. I'm pretty sure he had the forhead scars. Which means Isaac might be Dinka and I was transposing the two.
The first time I saw Isaac at Albertsons was just after I watched God Grew Tired of Us. He looks so East African I just knew he was one of the Lost Boys. I wanted to cry and hug him. He was probably like "Why is this sad girl staring at me?" :P That's when I started talking to the SBATA about tutoring. I just wanted to do something to help. :(

If anyone here hasn't seen it yet, rent that documentary. It's amazingly well done. There are very funny parts in spite of it being a very sad topic.
http://www.godgrewtiredofus.com/
Lift heavy eat clean!
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

That's cool.

I have an AA and a BA in Anthropology. For one of my classes we read the first ethnography about the Nuer written by E.E. Evans-Pritchard (yeah, that's his actual name. And guess what, the second E stands for Evan.) He generalized quite a lot (as was the style at the time) so for half the class we talked about the differences between the Nuer, Dinka, Masai, and a few others and their current plight.

I can still pick people out, but now it's all getting mushed around. Like LisaLisa said, you lose it if you don't use it.
charltons

Post by charltons »

ericalm wrote:
I like that they then spend the rest of the article jumping the guy's case for fighting back. The University seems more concerned with that than with knife-wielding scooter thieves.
The report said he "took a fighting stance" only. If the University is going to jump this guy's case, then it should have been for not giving them a thorough thrashing. stupid punks.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

charltons wrote:
ericalm wrote:
The report said he "took a fighting stance" only. If the University is going to jump this guy's case, then it should have been for not giving them a thorough thrashing. stupid punks.
The victim actually contradicts the police report and says he threw some punches. Hilarious. He's King Badass of the University custodians now!
Although the police report stated Acevedo only took a fighting stance, the former golden glove boxer said he fought back.

“I threw a couple punches,” Acevedo said. “I was ready to dance a little bit.”
old and in the way

Post by old and in the way »

So maybe the Flying Tigar mouth on Buddy with twin 50's mounted in the front sheld are not such a bab idea after all?1? :twisted: I specialize in large Bowie knives;as Crockidile Dundee said"no , THIS is a knife!" :roll: old and in the ya !
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Title of the article should have been "OLD GUY KICKS ASS!" The school is concerned that other employees might try the same thing and get hurt. Then they get sued for not telling people to run away. I would have let them have the scooter. That's what I have insurance for.
PeterC

Scooter Thieves, etc.

Post by PeterC »

Back in the 19th Century, there was a little poem printed inside the box containing each Colt revolver:

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size.
When danger threatens, call on me,
And I will equalize."

A word to the wise is sufficient.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

A couple of years ago an older gentlemen (in his 70's) was threatened by a couple of punks and he whupped their butts. I think he was an ex-marine. He was my hero.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

chloefpuff wrote:A couple of years ago an older gentlemen (in his 70's) was threatened by a couple of punks and he whupped their butts. I think he was an ex-marine. He was my hero.
I saw a similar thing on Cops once. They show up at the scene and there's this old guy with blood on his cane and a young punk bleeding on the ground. o_O Don't mess with old folks...
Lift heavy eat clean!