Oil Filter Questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

carreybat

Oil Filter Questions

Post by carreybat »

I'm ready to do my next oil change on my Buddy 125. I got my first one done by the dealer (which I can't stand). Here are my questions. Please excuse my ignorance.

1) What oil filters are the best? Should I find a PGO oil filter? Are the OEM filters ok?

2) By using any other filters does that void the warranty?

Well, if I think of anything else I will post it here..
Eazy

Re: Oil Filter Questions

Post by Eazy »

carreybat wrote:I'm ready to do my next oil change on my Buddy 125. I got my first one done by the dealer (which I can't stand). Here are my questions. Please excuse my ignorance.

1) What oil filters are the best? Should I find a PGO oil filter? Are the OEM filters ok?

2) By using any other filters does that void the warranty?

Well, if I think of anything else I will post it here..
1) The OEM filter should be a PGO filter

2) I doubt your going to be able to find many other filters that fit.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
ellen

Post by ellen »

Scooter Works has the Piaggio filters for $9.95. Best price I've found for OEM filters.
Oil Filter, ET4/LX150/GT/GTS / Buddy 125/150]
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Any filter that's the correct size is fine and won't void the warranty. The most common in the scooter shop distribution network are HiFloFiltro and Piaggio. They have subtle variations and the Piaggio one is arguably marginally better (see link below) but either will work just fine and dealers use whatever's on hand and the brand of your filter won't affect your warranty.

If you're doing it yourself, note that some have a slot head and some have a hex head. If you have hex sockets on hand, you might want to be sure to get a hex-head filter to avoid the need for a specialized socket.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358384

Oopsclunkthud who posted that sells some pretty neat "Snowflake wrenches" of both styles, which work well, though it's always best to use a torque wrench to be sure it's tightened properly.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

HF183 $4.65 each

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Sea ... Search.y=0

It's legit, I just received a box of 5. :D
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I pay twice that much, but I get a hex nut. I just don't trust that slot.
ellen

Post by ellen »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:HF183 $4.65 each

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Sea ... Search.y=0

It's legit, I just received a box of 5. :D
Yeah, but they don't have the 21mm hex top. I can't get those *** **** *** ** * ******* off.
If you can, you are invited to my house, I'll make dinner and everything!
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

uh???? Am I missing sum ting???

If I cant simply use my hands:

to remove, i use:

to intstall I use.

carreybat

Post by carreybat »

Thanks guys.. I have searched all over and couldn't find any real difference with the filters. Nothing from stores said anything about how well they filter :P

I'm going to order them tonight and hope to get them by mid week. Wish me luck with this and the weather (its been raining now for 3 days :[ ).
ellen

Post by ellen »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:uh???? Am I missing sum ting???
I have a channel wench, and this really cool Jettin.com wrench.
But the way Piaggio makes their damn scooters, the center stand is next to the friging bolt (pardon my french)

Can you tell I'm mad!
I am also mad that my local "dealer" put this "old type flter" on two months ago.
Okay, I am done venting! (for now)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If it was a tight, squared off notch, like a screwdriver slot, I could see using the file or any flat object, but those nubs are so small and rounded that I could just not get anything to grab it. Might just be a matter of leverage, on the Blur, the filter is mounted in an even tighter spot with the head on top instead of on the side. So you don't really have any room to push down against it, and you can only push down on one side of the file (or whatever.)

I ordered a few snowflake wrenches to sell on Scootmoto, but I have a feeling they'll be fairly useless on the Blur, too.

I don't even thing a socket with a slot (if such a thing exists, someone said they did, but I can't find 'em on the web) would work, because you just couldn't push down on it, and the slot seems too rounded off to get a grip when you can only exert rotational force.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Spinergy

Post by Spinergy »

The only existing "socket" I've seen online is like a big flat-blade screwdriver... not too practical. I've worked out a very simple design for a slip-on socket for these filters so you can use a ratchet or torque wrench. If space in front of the filter is an issue the same concept can be adapted for use with a ratcheting wrench. Just need to get my hands on a used filter [or two] from someone in the Nashville area to get the exact dimensions sorted out.