stupid Buddy questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

black sunshine

stupid Buddy questions

Post by black sunshine »

the thread in which you may ask the questions that you've always wanted to know the answer to, but have been loathe to post, fearing mockery, finger-pointing, and the "hah hah" sound that Nelson from The Simpsons makes.

mine:

the switch above the yellow ignition button . . . with the blinky looking icon and then the plain dot next to it - what is it for? i've never had a manual and always forget to ask when i go in to the shop . . .

be kind . . .
gng

Post by gng »

Right above ignition button is the hazard light, and above that is the engine kill switch.
sunshinen

Re: stupid Buddy questions

Post by sunshinen »

black sunshine wrote: the switch above the yellow ignition button . . . with the blinky looking icon and then the plain dot next to it - what is it for?
That's the kill switch: If you flip the switch while riding (or in/after a crash), it will kill the engine. If you flip the switch while the engine is off, it will prevent the engine from starting. I always turn mine to kill when I park... as part of my efforts to thwart thieves who may not know why they can't get it started. =)

I read about an attempted scooter jacking, where the owner hit the kill switch in the midst of being knocked off the scooter and the person trying to steal it couldn't figure out how to start the engine back up.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

gng wrote:Right above ignition button is the hazard light, and above that is the engine kill switch.
Ahh, I have the 06, which doesn't have the hazard light. Jealous of that one.
black sunshine

Re: stupid Buddy questions

Post by black sunshine »

sunshinen wrote:
black sunshine wrote: the switch above the yellow ignition button . . . with the blinky looking icon and then the plain dot next to it - what is it for?
That's the kill switch: If you flip the switch while riding (or in/after a crash), it will kill the engine. If you flip the switch while the engine is off, it will prevent the engine from starting. I always turn mine to kill when I park... as part of my efforts to thwart thieves who may not know why they can't get it started. =)
GOOD TA KNOW! that solves a mystery for me, lol . . .

please tell me somebody else has a stupid Buddy question to ask.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Well, how about a stupid admission?

The 06 actually has the light switch — it just doesn't do anything because the Buddy headlight is wired to be on all the time. So I'd apparently just deleted it from my mental map of my scooter's controls. :oops: From your description, the switch you were asking about sounds like it's that switch, so I'm guessing you were asking about the non-functional headlight switch, not the kill switch.

And asking about a non-functional switch, really isn't that stupid.

I still like the kill switch though. :D
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

There are no stupid buddy questions, only stupid buddy answers :P .
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
armacham

Post by armacham »

djelliott wrote:There are no stupid buddy questions, only stupid buddy people :P .
fixed that for you
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

My stupid Buddy question:

Why does the center stand prevent use of the kick-start?

Today, I was at a stop light when my engine died, the electric start wouldn't work, so I had to quick hop off, put the scoot onto the center stand and then use the kick start to get 'er going again. The traffic I was holding up was not pleased.

I'm pretty sure that the reason my battery was dead is that I'm one of those folk that ride only 3 or 4 miles at a time, so the battery never gets the chance to recharge. Plus, it was 30 something degrees outside. But really, the center stand thing is irritating.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

itzhak37 wrote:My stupid Buddy question:

Why does the center stand prevent use of the kick-start?

Today, I was at a stop light when my engine died, the electric start wouldn't work, so I had to quick hop off, put the scoot onto the center stand and then use the kick start to get 'er going again. The traffic I was holding up was not pleased.

I'm pretty sure that the reason my battery was dead is that I'm one of those folk that ride only 3 or 4 miles at a time, so the battery never gets the chance to recharge. Plus, it was 30 something degrees outside. But really, the center stand thing is irritating.
I'm not sure how you mean "prevents using the kickstart" I've kickstarted mine on the center stand with no problems before.
armacham

Post by armacham »

i think he means he couldn't start it off of the center stand.
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

armacham wrote:i think he means he couldn't start it off of the center stand.
Correct.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Well, you all are lucky you can kick yours. I have tried 30+ times to kick mine and it won't have it. I started my friend's P150 in one kick.....*sigh* the mysteries of Buddydom....
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sunshinen wrote:
gng wrote:Right above ignition button is the hazard light, and above that is the engine kill switch.
Ahh, I have the 06, which doesn't have the hazard light. Jealous of that one.
Never be jelous when your riding a classic vintage scooter!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

maribell wrote:Well, you all are lucky you can kick yours. I have tried 30+ times to kick mine and it won't have it. I started my friend's P150 in one kick.....*sigh* the mysteries of Buddydom....
I have noticed that there is a big difference between kicking a 2T Vespa and a Buddy
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

I usually have to reach over awkwardly and give it some gas in order for the kick start to be effective... hey, maybe that's why the design forces you to place the scoot on the center stand in order to kick start it - so you don't feed it gas and make it roll away. Interesting.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

maribell wrote:Well, you all are lucky you can kick yours. I have tried 30+ times to kick mine and it won't have it. I started my friend's P150 in one kick.....*sigh* the mysteries of Buddydom....
It's very easy once you learn the motion. I made a brief "see you can kick a Buddy on the first try" video, but will make a more instructional one sometime soon.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Jake

Post by Jake »

On the left side of the scoot (when sitting on it), there's sort of a lip in the plastic with a hole near the back. What's that all about?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Jake wrote:On the left side of the scoot (when sitting on it), there's sort of a lip in the plastic with a hole near the back. What's that all about?
If its the hole I'm thinking of, its likely a body drain hole, so rain water doesn't pool inside the body panels.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

A whole in the side panels around the seats? If I am thinking the same thing as you, there is a hole so you can easily access a screw to take the air filter housing apart.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

when kick starting, the buddy has to be on the center stand........is this true? seems like i have done this while holding the bike up. i've only kicked it a few times, so i could be dreaming...............
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

It doesnt have to be on the center stand, but most people will kick several times before ever getting it started, it's safer you kick it on the center stand so it stays upright and never falls over. If you fell from a bad kick while holding the bike up, a 230 pound bike will crush you.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

i understand why you would want to have it on the center stand in terms of safety, although that didn't "necessarily" dawn on me when i did the opposite. :wink:

i was just curious as to whether it was an imposed safety feature.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've seen many people on 2 stroke vintage bikes sit on the bike and just kick the bike to start it up. I guess since it's easier to start than modern 4T bikes, you dont need much "Precuation"
skotot

Post by skotot »

sunshinen wrote:Well, how about a stupid admission?

The 06 actually has the light switch — it just doesn't do anything because the Buddy headlight is wired to be on all the time. So I'd apparently just deleted it from my mental map of my scooter's controls. :oops: From your description, the switch you were asking about sounds like it's that switch, so I'm guessing you were asking about the non-functional headlight switch, not the kill switch.

Are you sure it's non functional and not the lo-beam/hi-beam controls? Hi-beams are so nice when driving on poorly lit roads with no cars to light up the street for you.

Here's my stupid question: How can you get the steering lock to work? I've read the manual and tried numerous times, but can't get it to lock.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

skotot wrote:
sunshinen wrote:Well, how about a stupid admission?

Are you sure it's non functional and not the lo-beam/hi-beam controls? Hi-beams are so nice when driving on poorly lit roads with no cars to light up the street for you.

Yeah, the '06's have a dead switch where the hazzard switch is on the later bikes.

The wheel lock can be engaged as follows. Turn the handle bars fully to the left. Now edge them back just slightly to the right(doesn't take much)
Now turn the key all the way to the left(to the lock position).

If the key won't go into the lock position move the handlebars a bit left or right until it engages.

Here's my stupid question: How can you get the steering lock to work? I've read the manual and tried numerous times, but can't get it to lock.
itzhak37

Post by itzhak37 »

jfrost2 wrote:It doesnt have to be on the center stand, but most people will kick several times before ever getting it started, it's safer you kick it on the center stand so it stays upright and never falls over. If you fell from a bad kick while holding the bike up, a 230 pound bike will crush you.
I checked again before my ride to class this afternoon and my 2009 Buddy 50 definitely needs to be on the center stand in order to use the kick start, hence my stupid Buddy question.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

skotot wrote: Are you sure it's non functional and not the lo-beam/hi-beam controls?
The high-beam switch is on the left side.
skotot wrote:Here's my stupid question: How can you get the steering lock to work? I've read the manual and tried numerous times, but can't get it to lock.
Finesse. Turn the key all the way left and keep pressure to turn the key even further left (but don't push in or you'll just pop the seat). Then turn the handle bars left and wiggle them a bit — find the sweet spot. At some point it will click into place.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

thank jesus for this thread! :o

my stupid buddy question: why does my gear oil always leak out whenever my bf and i ride together?? are we too heavy? making the engine work harder in return making the gear oil want to squirt out?

the dealer changed my oil and gear oil yesterday before i racked up 150 or so miles on a trip to austin with just me on my scoot, nothing leaked out until later last night we both scooted around and noticed the rear tire soaked up with grime and oil :(
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

r0sa wrote:why does my gear oil always leak out whenever my bf and i ride together?? are we too heavy? making the engine work harder in return making the gear oil want to squirt out?
The gear oil was probably overfilled. This seems to be a common dealer mistake. And for some reason, the leaking from an overfill is not consistent. Sometimes it doesn't start till weeks or more after the change. I imagine the harder the engine works, the more viscous the oil gets, and therefore, the more likely it is to leak.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

a nonfunctional light switch? i have nothing of the sort.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

betsy q. bramble wrote:a nonfunctional light switch? i have nothing of the sort.
Your '08 has a hazard light switch where the dead switch is on the '06.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Kaos wrote:
betsy q. bramble wrote:a nonfunctional light switch? i have nothing of the sort.
Your '08 has a hazard light switch where the dead switch is on the '06.
ahh how mysterious! i see
crcsmnky

How much gas do you put in regularly?

Post by crcsmnky »

I seem to be able to fit no more than 0.8 gallons in my buddy but I thought the tank fit well over a gallon. I mean, what's the deal?? :)
Spinergy

Post by Spinergy »

r0sa wrote:my stupid buddy question: why does my gear oil always leak out whenever my bf and i ride together?? are we too heavy? making the engine work harder in return making the gear oil want to squirt out?
(
It's a weight/ heat thing. Double the rider weight = a much higher load on the diff. This produces more heat, hot oil expands and thins so out bubbles some gear oil till it gets down to a "leakproof" level. Seriously doubt it would get too low just from riding two up, but I'd still check it just to be safe. You can do an easy DIY fix for the mess problem by connecting a longer bit of hose to the diff vent fitting and fixing it to the back of the air filter housing. Could also rig a plastic film canister as an overflow catch can. Just tuck it away where no one will notice :)
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

hmmm, interesting. thanks for the input! 8)
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

My stupid question is!

What the heck does [NSR] or [NBR] mean? My best guess is not scooter related and not buddy related. Is that right or am I totally stupid?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Dean F wrote:My stupid question is!

What the heck does [NSR] or [NBR] mean? My best guess is not scooter related and not buddy related. Is that right or am I totally stupid?
You could be... but not this time. You got it!

Check the Posting Guidelines under Post Subject Lines.
Last edited by olhogrider on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

r0sa wrote:thank jesus for this thread! :o

my stupid buddy question: why does my gear oil always leak out whenever my bf and i ride together?? are we too heavy? making the engine work harder in return making the gear oil want to squirt out?

the dealer changed my oil and gear oil yesterday before i racked up 150 or so miles on a trip to austin with just me on my scoot, nothing leaked out until later last night we both scooted around and noticed the rear tire soaked up with grime and oil :(
You are on the right track. Mine only leaks when I ride at freeway speeds. I will be replacing the seal soon. I'll post pix when I do.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

^^^awesome! sweet, pics would be great, thanks
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How much gas do you put in regularly?

Post by illnoise »

crcsmnky wrote:I seem to be able to fit no more than 0.8 gallons in my buddy but I thought the tank fit well over a gallon. I mean, what's the deal?? :)
Never fill your tank until you've run out of gas entirely. Then you can fit a gallon in. Problem solved!
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dean F wrote:My stupid question is!

Check this out:
topic4954.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
armacham

Post by armacham »

Re: cleaning the air filter
Would it be okay to wash it off with water and then use a hair dryer to dry it off if I don't have an air compressor?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'm not sure about the buddy's stock filter, many aftermarket filters for cars and motorcycles are meant to be washed. If you dont have a air compressor you can use a can of compressed air. Remove the filter completely and spray from the inside to the outside. Be sure not to stay on a certain spot for too long, compressed air can freeze and crack the filter which would ruin it. But as long as you go all over evenly, it wont freeze or damage.

It would give a similar effect to a air compressor. Expect compressed air actually heats up.
broke

Post by broke »

My stupid Buddy question:I've watched for a long time, but still haven't stumbled across this one: Why is the under-seat compartment called a "pet carrier". Is this a cruel joke? Or is it an acronym? (Personal Equipment Transport) I did a google search, but that wasn't helpful.
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:My stupid Buddy question:I've watched for a long time, but still haven't stumbled across this one: Why is the under-seat compartment called a "pet carrier". Is this a cruel joke? Or is it an acronym? (Personal Equipment Transport) I did a google search, but that wasn't helpful.
Some Vespa's had a sticker in there warning you to not try carrying your pets in there.

Its likely a holdover from Modernvespa.com, since the Buddy has never had such a sticker.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Well, here's mine:

Can the stock Buddy shocks be adjusted? When I ride 2 up on my Buddy they will sometimes bottom out, so I'd like to be able to stiffen them up somewhat. Does that require new after market shocks like the NCY ones??
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Scooter Hoot wrote:Well, here's mine:

Can the stock Buddy shocks be adjusted? When I ride 2 up on my Buddy they will sometimes bottom out, so I'd like to be able to stiffen them up somewhat. Does that require new after market shocks like the NCY ones??
Sadly, no. They're not adjustable. You'll just have to spring(pun intended) for the NCY's.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
broke wrote:My stupid Buddy question:I've watched for a long time, but still haven't stumbled across this one: Why is the under-seat compartment called a "pet carrier". Is this a cruel joke? Or is it an acronym? (Personal Equipment Transport) I did a google search, but that wasn't helpful.
Some Vespa's had a sticker in there warning you to not try carrying your pets in there.

Its likely a holdover from Modernvespa.com, since the Buddy has never had such a sticker.
Yup. This and many other questions are covered in the MB Glossary:
topic4954.html

Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Time to resurrect the good ole stupid question thread...

I need to adjust my idle on the scooter - it's running too low and dieing at stoplights. I know there's supposed to be a screw for that near the carb ... but where's the carb? Is this something likely to break the buddy if I manage to screw something up or not?