So I was thinking

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Twentyfourskys

So I was thinking

Post by Twentyfourskys »

Has a scooter documentary ever been done riding coast to coast? I was talking with a friend and we were thinking it would awesome to ride coast to coast on our scooters and possibly somehow get sponsored. I was wondering A. If this has already been done and B. Your thoughts?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Alix B rode for peace scooter, she did a 22,000 mile trip around the USA on her 2007 black/silver buddy. She had some major problems here and there, but she got picked up and sent to the nearest dealer for fixes. You can read all about it on her blog. Genuine sponsored it and she has been on the news, but no official documentary with a crew following along.
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

Thats pretty sweet. I am thinking about getting a 3 scooter crew together, I am thinking no cars. We can film what we need to from the scoots. I was thinking about talking to genuine about it. My thoughts were to try and stop in big cities along the way and documenting the different scooter communities in each town.
underdog

Re: So I was thinking

Post by underdog »

Twentyfourskys wrote:Has a scooter documentary ever been done riding coast to coast? I was talking with a friend and we were thinking it would awesome to ride coast to coast on our scooters and possibly somehow get sponsored. I was wondering A. If this has already been done and B. Your thoughts?
Check out Scooter Nation. There are a couple of trailers on Youtube and the music is pretty cool, but I have never found it on dvd. It looks like it would be fun to do if you have seven weeks to spare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_fnC49CoU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXUu-UeovLo
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

Thats pretty sweet. My inspiration was the documentary 10mph. Which a bunch of people take a segway from coast to coast. It might still be up on youtube.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

1) When are you thinking of doing this?

2) Please take me with you!
Lift heavy eat clean!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Segway nationwide? That is cool as crap! Although they only go 20 miles per charge, 20-40 miles a day is pretty short.
msdallas2008

Post by msdallas2008 »

I'm a video editor here in Dallas & would love to be part of the post production process on something like this.
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

msdallas2008 wrote:I'm a video editor here in Dallas & would love to be part of the post production process on something like this.
Now we are talking. I took a film class and I have done videography at camps during summers. I am very confident in my ability to film the excursion however the production and editing is definitely not my strong point.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

you tube scoot stars

they did it on 50 cc chinese bikes.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
goatlover

Post by goatlover »

Eazy wrote:you tube scoot stars

they did it on 50 cc chinese bikes.
they never made it to las vegas.

however a guy named WAN made it from coast to coast 18K miles round trip. no sponsorship just help from friends along the way. he camped out everywhere seen most of our national parks here in America. he documented all pictures and his travel. his nick is "drinkbeer9"

the best part: he did it on a 50cc Honda Ruckus Scooter.

Part 1

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12143

Part2

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16406

at the end, he was able to raise $5000 and donated it to "make a wish foundation" he also raffled off his ruckus for charity.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Scoot Stars was allright, but I think they had to replace their bikes a few times and they ended up not really finishing it and it all fell apart. Those guys were pretty entertaining, though they didn't really come off as being interested in scooters, it was just a stunt for them.

So many people have crossed the U.S. with big plans and while many have finished their trip, few actually follow through on their exact plans. Alix is really the only person I can think of who consistently blogged and followed through on her media contacts and such.

The Cannonball is interesting, I've noticed every time they've done it, the new riders won't stop talking about their bikes and going over the details for more than a year before it happens (sorry Robonz, ha), then when it starts, there's almost a total blackout, and when it's over, no one ever mentions it again. I think once you spend that much time in the saddle each day, the last thing on your mind when you finally get to the hotel is blogging about it, and when it's over it takes on a whole different meaning than you expected which maybe can't be conveyed in words. Or, they were just cheating a lot and didn't want to talk about it.

I think that'd be a great documentary, since there's a bit of competition and more stories to tell, and it's easy to keep track of everyone because the route is carefully planned and they're at the same hotel every night.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

I am sure lots of things like this have been done. I kind of want to do it for the aspect of going from town to town and filming the different scooter communities that are out there.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Twentyfourskys wrote:I am sure lots of things like this have been done. I kind of want to do it for the aspect of going from town to town and filming the different scooter communities that are out there.
I work in film and video as a composer and audio engineer. I'm also a pretty good final cut editor and have been doing very well with Apple Motion. Anyway, focusing your film on the different scooter communities coast to coast is the angle you should work. The guys on the bikes doing a long journey is sort of played out. The fact that your travels to film a scooter themed documentary is being done on scooters is just a cool side note. Also, making the film about those communities will most likely get you some great support from said communities and help make your journey more fun and interesting. I wish I could go with you, but I too will offer my knowledge and services in the pre and post production processes.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

A couple of years ago a few guys doing a documentary on scootering showed up at the Cincinnati WKRP rally. They said that the company they worked for did BMX & skateboard videos and they wanted to branch out.

They did not get the warmest reception by the folks in Cincinnati. I went so far as to have them take my picture so they could make sure that I did not appear anywhere in the film. They set up something at the local Genuine dealer and have scooterists come out and do some trick riding so they could film it. Nobody showed up.

I get about 1 request a month for someone or a company to use me and/or one of my scooters for some kind of project. If it is a commercial project, I want to get paid or they may not use any image of me or my scooters. I am ok with it if it is a school project or a noncommercial project like that.

Long story short, if you are making a documentary of some kind, figure out what you are going to do with it. If you plan on selling it, do you owe it to the people you are filming to pay them? My thought is yes as you would have no documentary without them. I am also no big fan of films like that as I have no control as to how you are going to use my image.

Dave
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

I dont honestly plan on selling it. I would much prefer it to be available free online. I am just looking for a crew that is out there to have a good time and has about 3 weeks of time to spare. I plan on financing the trip through sponsors if I can get them.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Sounds like an awesome idea. I would definately download, hell, I'd even buy the dvd.
Seems like tt would be a good idea to see if you could hit several rally's as you crossed the country. Then you could realy see the various scooter communities in action (or just drunk and silly, hmmm, maybe not the best idea.) :D

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I love the idea! Have you seen "Long Way Round"?
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

I have not! I will try and find the video.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

just running into scooterists in towns along the way might be a shot in the dark but some phone calls to shops and follow ups as the scoot season starts up again in the spring might produce some fortunate "meet ups" with scooterists. maybe hitting some spots that host a bigger rally along the way. sponsorships might come in many forms but good planning may make the trip more of a reality. a great spirit for adventure will make this trip great but it would be amazing to share it with others. most of up i think will be very jealous. :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

As it happens I am a three-time Sccooter Cannonball survivor. I'd be happy to help you with planning and/or any other aspect of the trip. Just drop me a PM or e-mail.

Good luck!

-John