Buddy 50 - sluggish in cold weather??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kristin2008

Buddy 50 - sluggish in cold weather??

Post by Kristin2008 »

I have a 09 Buddy 50cc with about 480 miles on it.

Two days ago I took it for a spin after changing the gear oil (I know some have said to change that at 200 miles but some other things I have read said 4-500 miles). It seemed very sluggish to ride. I thought maybe it was just from the cold - it is about 30 degrees here and the scooter has not really be rode in about 2 weeks.

So after about a 15-20 minute ride I put it up. Yesterday I took it out again. It still seemed very sluggish. Specificially when I stop at a red light and then go to accelerate again, I turn the throtle and it has a couple second delay before it starts to move.

THEN while at a couple of lights, it died while stopped. It had been running for about 15+ minutes at this point, so it shouldn't have been "cold". But as I sat at the light w/out giving it any gas, it just turned off. I immediately used the electric start and it started right back up. It did this probably 4 times.

Any ideas? Should I call the dealer and have it serviced?
armacham

Post by armacham »

check to make sure you didn't overfill the gear oil. That happend to me after my first oil change, until I emptied it and made sure it only had the proper amount in it.
Kristin2008

Post by Kristin2008 »

Thanks, I'll try to drain it and start again
armacham

Post by armacham »

other than that, it is possible for gas to go bad in the carb after sitting for 2 weeks.

You can try to seafoam it, or some other kind of carb cleaning, to see if you can work any gunk out that may be in there.

Otherwise you might need to actually pull it out and clean it.

Also if it wasn't that cold the last time you rode, it might be running super-lean and just need an adjustment at the air screw
Kristin2008

Post by Kristin2008 »

Thanks for the tip. I put a call in to the dealer. I usually am a do-it-yourself kind of person, but being a new scooter rider this year, I don't want to do anything that I don't know anything about. Would rather pay the professionals to do it I think.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Where can you get Seafoam? And is that the brand name?
armacham

Post by armacham »

Any auto parts store will have seafoam by the carb and fuel injector cleaners.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/
AttacksUnicorns

Post by AttacksUnicorns »

I noticed the same problem with my brand new Italia, could the gas be bad from sitting at the dealer?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

armacham wrote:other than that, it is possible for gas to go bad in the carb after sitting for 2 weeks.
I don't really think it is possible for gas to "go bad" within two weeks after purchase of fresh gas from a station that has reasonable turnover of its supply. What is possible, is that the gas in the carburator evaporates and leaves some residue behind. Usually that cleans itself up simply by starting the scoot and running it for a moment.
armacham

Post by armacham »

Dooglas wrote:
armacham wrote:other than that, it is possible for gas to go bad in the carb after sitting for 2 weeks.
I don't really think it is possible for gas to "go bad" within two weeks after purchase of fresh gas from a station that has reasonable turnover of its supply. What is possible, is that the gas in the carburator evaporates and leaves some residue behind. Usually that cleans itself up simply by starting the scoot and running it for a moment.
yeah thats what I meant, but like you said, that should clear itself up with a few revs
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

If it doesn't clear up, give the idle speed screw a 1/4 turn clockwise.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

mine is doing the same thing. havent really been riding it much cause of the weather. im pretty sure its just bad gas from sitting. I need to put stabil in it..
tekrek

Post by tekrek »

Scooter's sluggish in cold weather. You're lucky it runs!
"I'm your Huckleberry."