Newbie here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Oaken007

Newbie here

Post by Oaken007 »

Hey everyone!!

I admit I have been lurking for about a week, but have been registered so I thought I would introduce myself today, because I want to finally start talking.

I do not have a Buddy yet. I know, it's a shame. I plan to buy a Buddy soon. Italia.

I have been debating on what I will use the scooter for. I would like it to be everyday transportation or every other day transportation to and from work and around. I would also like to take trips with it to the West Coast of FL. Keep in mind I live in South Florida. Traffic is a tad under NYC. Especially in Miami. Here is where I have my concerns...

I won't have to worry about weather too much, as it is mostly hot here but it is sometimes rainy. I am very nervous that the chances of getting into an accident are 100%. From what I'm reading, it seems everyone has crashed.

Right now, myself, I have a humongous bruise on both of my calves. One is the size of a baseball. In the Bahamas two weeks ago, I almost hit a car right in front of a police station on a scooter. LOL I braked so hard the scooter started to fall onto its side (I wasn't going very fast) and I caught it with my leg. The other bruise is from holding onto the back of someone on the scooter. I am 5'2" about 160lbs very strong muscles for a little chick.

But guess what? I was hooked.

And so started the search and find of the Buddy. Happy to introduce myself to everyone! Nice to meet you.

I plan to be very safe and careful, but worried about accidents. Anyone in South FL? And can anyone tell me about their fears riding or getting into accidents and how you got over that.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Welcome to the board!!

As far as accidents are concerned, it's just part of the territory. There are some measures you can take to minimize it though.

1. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course if you can afford it. it will teach you invaluable driving/maneuvering skills and help you to become very familiar with the way your scoot feels. If you can't afford it, pick up "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough and practice the exercises in the back of the book.

2. Wear gear- it will protect you in the event of an accident. And put some reflective tape on your scooter and helmet for night visibility. Or wear a yellow safety vest. Reflectivity= safety.

3. Try not to ride in situations you don't feel comfortable in (i.e. the rain- well, that is me anyways)

4. Pick out some good insurance. If you have to take out a loan (or use other credit), get it so you won't be stuck financially if there is an accident.

Enjoy your new Buddy when you get it!!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

The more you ride the more you learn the more comfortable you become and then you will want to ride even more and you will learn more and be even more comfortable and want to ride even more. Before you know it you'll be considering a really long ride somewhere and then you'll want to ride even more.

Wear the gear (if you so choose), ride and rest assured all will be well. Baby steps. Consider it a fantastic voyage of discovery. :D
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i fell, had BAD roadrash, took 2 1/2 months to heal, i am MORE cautious than before when riding, i always wear shoes and helmet, but not so much on jacket, it gets pretty hot here in the summer but now that winter's around the corner, i wear all gear

take small steps at a time, don't rush to get on the highway until you feel that you can do it. just ride around the neighborhood so you can get comfortable with your scooter then graduate to the outside roads and so on

good luck on your purchase and welcome to the forum! :D
Oaken007

Post by Oaken007 »

Thanks for the advice!

I definitely plan on full gear. Definitely plan on the MSC. And definitely plan to ride around in my neighborhood.

I'm scared. :cry:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Welcome! Don't let the "Who's Crashed?" thread scare you. Its not indicative of the hobby as a whole. There are TONS of people who've not crashed. I've been a full time scooterist for over a year with no problems at all. Again, welcome!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

don't be scared, but if you are too scared at the moment to hop on a scooter, just let the time pass you by, before you know it, you have urges to to hop back on again

i remember the first few weeks after i fell, i was really scared to ride again, i even thought about retiring, pressures from everybody to stop riding, but within a month of not riding, and my scab was healing, i suddently had the urge to just go out for a ride

now, i am back in love with riding :D

i hope you'll overcome your fear of riding, just give it time!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Hey welcome to MB!

I'm in your area, and you can get around this crazy place on a little scooter. I ride mine every day on Federal Hwy in competition with all the idiots and it's actually kind of fun.

MSF course, Proficient Motorcycling, and a serious amount of awareness will all go a long way.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions specific to South Florida riding.

I've also got some thoughts on area dealers, etc.

Finally, read the thread I have linked (where it says "tell us") in my signature... it's the companion post to the "Who's Crashed" thread. Yes wrecks are a serious concern and there's danger. But most everyone on this board rides every day without incident.
Oaken007

Post by Oaken007 »

Joe,

I definitely need some dealer lists because right now I have no idea where to go. I want someone reliable and not too far from me.

Thanks!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

When I first learned to fly an airplane with retractable landing gear my instructor told me there are those who have landed gear up, and those who will. Over 35 years of flying later, I have not... yet. Thinking that everyone will crash is simply a way of keeping safety in mind when you ride. I have not crashed a scooter... yet. During 20+ years on Harleys, I have crashed a few times.

Take the MSF course. Dress for the crash, not the beach. Search here and other places for ATGATT. Have fun! That's what scooters are for.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Hardly any human endeavor is 100% sure of a particular outcome. Lots of people crash. Lots of people don't crash. Work to be part of the second group, but be prepared to be in the first group. It's way smarter than the reverse.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Newbie here

Post by jrsjr »

After reading about your experience in the Bahamas and seeing that you still want a Buddy, all I can say is, for sure, you're our kinda rider. :D

Welcome to Modern Buddy.
Oaken007 wrote:I plan to be very safe and careful, but worried about accidents. Anyone in South FL? And can anyone tell me about their fears riding or getting into accidents and how you got over that.
My answer is to use the fear to keep you vigilent. Take course(s) to level up your riding skills. Get good gear and use it. Watch the road. Learn to read the traffic around you. It's amazing how often cagers will telegraph their intentions if you can read the clues and are paying attention.

Enjoy!

Again, welcome to Modern Buddy!
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmazza

Re: Newbie here

Post by jmazza »

jrsjr wrote:It's amazing how often cagers will telegraph their intentions if you can read the clues and are paying attention.
Yup, this is very true. I haven't had any close call "come out of nowhere," except my own stupidity, which never ceases to amaze me.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Actually, being intelligent enough to realize that you've done something stupid is a good thing. It's when stupidity is your natural state of existence (I can provide a list of names, if necessary) that everything starts to snowball.

If I may, I'd like to offer another piece of advice given to me by some extremely experienced bikers at my place of work: when you're riding, you're riding, and that's all you should be thinking about. Not the bad day at the office, not the late rent payment, not the paper clip sale going at at Office Depot. If you're having one of those days where something's gnawing at you to the point of distraction, consider taking a brief hiatus from the scoot until you can give it your undivided attention once again.

I was scared stiff when I first started, even more so after I dumped. But it does get better.

Regards