Piaggio MP3

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Piaggio MP3

Post by Rob »

Everytime I think I've narrowed down my search for a larger scoot, something else seems to come into the picture. I thought I was down to a SYM HD200 or perhaps a Citycom 300, or a Scarabeo 200 with a long shot possibility of the 500. Then .... I visited the dealer where I bought the Buddy. He doesn't carry either the SYM or Aprilia, but immediately got me looking at the Piaggio BV250 and the MP3 250. I was impressed with the BV250, so it's in the picture as well now. But he was really pushing the MP3. I took it (the MP3) for a short ride ... maybe 15 minutes, just in the city and never topped 35 mph as it was rather chilly (mid 30's) and I didn't have any warm gear. He offered me what he called a "new" MP3 for $6300 ... new with 1200 miles on it, but an 08 with a full warranty, so I'm assuming it was a demo.

Anyway, while the MP3 has some appealing features, I'm not sure I like it. First off, I don't particularly care for the looks ... maybe they'd grow on me, but I suspect not. Secondly, the handling seemed strange ... perhaps a bit on the sloppy side. Granted it was a short ride through town and I was going slow, but the cornering didn't seem sharp and the bike seemed less responsive than what I'm used to. Third, I think these scoots (MP3's) are fairly new, although he indicate they'd been around a while, but have only recently come to the US, so I was also wondering about their reliability.

Does anyone have any background or experience with and opinions of the MP3?

Thanks,
Rob
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I demo'd an MP3 for a weekend. The thing corners like a demon! It's amazing how much lean and how much stability it offers. I did not buy one realizing I could get a Gts for a lot less. It's a novelty IMHO, somewhat expensive and the jury's still out on reliabilty/repair cost due to it's newness and novelty of design. It sure attracted attention though EVERYWHERE!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know a thing about the MP3, and I ride an HD200, so here's my two cents: Ohh, Beverly, she is one fine looking scoot.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I took an MP3 400 for a short test ride and loved it. The handling was amazing. I do think what you felt was that it lacks some of the "flickability" you have on a such a small scoot like the Buddy, but its definitely not lacking in the handling. I was quite impressed. For a bigger scoot which I'm assuming you want for longer distances, you'll appreciate the stability the MP3 gives you, but you'll get the same thing with scoots like the HD200 that have the 16" wheels.

I would love to put an MP3 in my garage, but I think they are pretty pricey.

Although the $6300 he offered you for them seems pretty good. There are 2 local ones here in Atl and they are asking $6000 each and thats private sale.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Test ride one. That's all I can really say.

I don't know if it's for everyone and I have to say that if I had the scratch, I'd probably buy something else. But the MP3 is a good, reliable scooter and rides like nothing else (which I mean in a good way).

Also, if you haven't yet, hop on over to ModernVespa.com, where they have a MP3 forum.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

The Mp3 is an amazing machine, I have a 400, among a couple other scooters I own (a Rattler 110, and a Vespa GTS250).

I never planned on owning on myself, until a friend put me on his for about 35 mountain-y miles. I was enamored.

That being said, I don't particularly enjoy it in-town. It is indeed heavy, and tiresome to ride in stop and go traffic, and a bit thirsty starting/stopping in traffic.

But...put that bad-boy on the freeway, or take it into the twisties and it's quite the athlete, and frankly makes me feel like a better, more "youthful" rider :P

Many contend the Mp3 250 is best of the Mp3 models, and it may very well be, and that may make it better suited for in-town driving, but I already have a 250, so i took the 400 and IT is my "big bike", used for a different type of riding (for me).

I think the Mp3 is not for everyone, but anyone who rides one really appreciates it's unique qualities, and the more you ride it, the more you appreciate it. I'm not done riding on 2 wheels either though!
Attachments
_MG_48081-2.jpg
_MG_48081-2.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I found the 250cc MP3 to be a bit underpowered for the weight of the bike. It handled brilliantly, of course, but didn't have the pep I've gotten so used to riding smaller scooters. That may be true of all larger-cc scoots, though I think the Vespa GTS and Scarabeo 250 both have pretty good pickup.

There's definitely a trade off in all cases when going to a larger scooter. As well as the MP3 handles, it doesn't zip through city traffic like a Buddy, LX, Zuma, or other smaller scooter.

I was hoping to take a test ride on a MP3 400 or 500 at the motorcycle show in Long Beach but didn't get the chance. Plus, it's a lap around the block ride in a group. Maybe I'll call the local dealers…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rob

Post by Rob »

irishtim wrote:I demo'd an MP3 for a weekend. The thing corners like a demon! It's amazing how much lean and how much stability it offers.
bluelghtning wrote:I took an MP3 400 for a short test ride and loved it. The handling was amazing. I do think what you felt was that it lacks some of the "flickability" you have on a such a small scoot like the Buddy, but its definitely not lacking in the handling.
ericalm wrote: But the MP3 is a good, reliable scooter and rides like nothing else (which I mean in a good way).
Also, if you haven't yet, hop on over to ModernVespa.com, where they have a MP3 forum.
mattgordon wrote:The Mp3 is an amazing machine. That being said, I don't particularly enjoy it in-town. It is indeed heavy, and tiresome to ride in stop and go traffic, and a bit thirsty starting/stopping in traffic.

Well, I'm definitely in the minority (more like standing completely alone) in my initial impression of the MP3 handling, so I'll go with what's been said and assume I didn't give it a fair shot in that regard. One thing that became clear to me after doing a little research and something that I didn't know going into the short test ride was that the MP3 is designed to handle up to a 40 deg lean. I rode around town, kept the speed down, didn't ride very aggressively and took the turns easy ... mostly because I wasn't sure of how well it would handle the turns. Next time I'll take advantage of the lean capabilities. And as a side thought, I wondered if perhaps the tire(s) were uninflated. Being the middle of the winter and I don't think they are getting many test rides these days and seeing that I was at the dealer just as they were opening ... I thought perhaps the tires hadn't been checked for a while. The ride kind of reminded me of the Buddy the time I rode it with 23# in the front.

The stability of the MP3 is definitely nice. The real reason I'd consider this is because (and I wouldn't tell her) but I still worry somewhat about my wife riding the Buddy. Of course we got it too late in the year for her to attend an MSF riding course (She is set up for their "scooter school" in April). But she tends to be a little on the fearless side and adventurous to boot ... so an extra wheel would give me a little more comfort when she inevitably starts to push things on the scoot.

Eric ... thanks for the reminder about Modern Vespa. I did check that out and there is a lot of info there on the MP3.

Thanks for the opinions and info.

Rob
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

OMG the mp3 500 is my dream scooter!!!
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Rob wrote: Well, I'm definitely in the minority (more like standing completely alone) in my initial impression of the MP3 handling, so I'll go with what's been said and assume I didn't give it a fair shot in that regard. One thing that became clear to me after doing a little research and something that I didn't know going into the short test ride was that the MP3 is designed to handle up to a 40 deg lean. I rode around town, kept the speed down, didn't ride very aggressively and took the turns easy ... mostly because I wasn't sure of how well it would handle the turns. Next time I'll take advantage of the lean capabilities. And as a side thought, I wondered if perhaps the tire(s) were uninflated. Being the middle of the winter and I don't think they are getting many test rides these days and seeing that I was at the dealer just as they were opening ... I thought perhaps the tires hadn't been checked for a while. The ride kind of reminded me of the Buddy the time I rode it with 23# in the front.

Rob
The under inflation might very well be what you felt, plus as you said you weren't really pushing it. I'd definitely say give it another test ride and see.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

r0sa wrote:OMG the mp3 500 is my dream scooter!!!
It is so Mad Max. If I knew Photochop I would paste Mel Gibson onto one.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

photochop must be a new program...
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I owned an Mp3 250 and now have an Mp3 500 that we bought crash damaged. I wasn't completely thrilled with the 250, but the looks of the 500 make me very happy...It's still not what I would call "fast", but at least it looks like nothing else out there.

I sold the Mp3 250 because it was too slow for daily freeway riding.

They are not more "Stable", the design of the MP3 is such that it does not impede or enhance the vehicles ability to lean in either direction. It's neutral, just like it should be. What most are mistakenly calling "Stability" is actually "weight" they are VERY heavy compared to anything else in their respective classes.

They do not have more "traction" or "grip" this is simple physics. You divide your weight by your surface area and this gives you the pounds per square inch or "traction profile". The only way the mp3 could be argued as having more "traction" is based on it's weight alone. Spreading the additional weight of the mp3 over the additional 3rd contact patch does not increase its traction profile, in fact, it makes it less than most 250cc scooters.

The MP3 250 has a similar appetite for tires to the GTS250. Some customers are very upset about having to replace a very expensive
rear tire every 3000 miles. The 400 and 500 with their larger, wider wheels seem to be less susceptible to this wear.

What the Mp3 does have in buckets is rider confidence, that extra wheel definitely makes people push it harder than they would their other scooters. We know, we've picked up several crashed ones. We've seen people who low-sided and high-sided MP3's just like any other bike.

So far they are proving to be about as reliable as most other scooters, but there have been some very expensive repairs that sidelined customers for weeks while Piaggio USA didn't have adequate parts.

Here are some things I've pondered as an MP3 rider:

In a normal 2 wheeled m/c the front tire clears a path for the rear tire while riding in the rain. This doesn't happen on an mp3 and I've experienced the dreaded "triple hydroplane" it is NOT cool.

When you see a pothole on a regular m/c you can simply steer your tire-line around it. On an Mp3 you're 3x as likely to hit the hole.

The front wheels are WIDE, you can't fit as easily between things and it's easy to forget and clip a curb with the front wheel. If this knocks out your alignment, you'll wish you were on a 2 wheeler. Mis-aligned mp3's chew through front tires and are positively scary to ride.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

pocphil wrote: When you see a pothole on a regular m/c you can simply steer your tire-line around it. On an Mp3 you're 3x as likely to hit the hole.
Potholes are (one of) my pet peeve...and YES it is highly likely to NOT be able to avoid them on the Mp3, there's too many target tires! I like the 14" rear on my 400 for "pothole engagement", and less likely to throw something out of whack than either of the fronts....

Good point
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Prolly in the minority here, but I found the MP3 250, 400, and the Aprillia MP3 500, some of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever sat on! -So much so that I even refused to take a 400cc MP3 on a test ride, figuring why waste my time here; the seating position on this thing is crowding me and giving me cramps whilst just standing still! :P
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

In a normal 2 wheeled m/c the front tire clears a path for the rear tire while riding in the rain. This doesn't happen on an mp3 and I've experienced the dreaded "triple hydroplane" it is NOT cool.

I've been planning a test ride on an MP-3 for some time now and I don't think the above would've occurred to me until it actually happened. Thanks for the advance warning!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:

I've been planning a test ride on an MP-3 for some time now and I don't think the above would've occurred to me until it actually happened. Thanks for the advance warning!
I fishtailed on my test ride. :oops:
Recovered really fast, though! Vertical in no time at all!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Vertical... aka 1 wheel drive. That's one way to eliminate the pothole issue :lol:
EZPZ #65
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I got my MP3 500 shortly after we bought my wife's buddy. The buddy is still first choice for quick trips around town. Longer rides or two up the MP3 is the way to go.

LIke everyone says, it rides like a dream. Rock solid on the straights and eats up corners like it's on rails. In fact, I commute 75 miles round trip 4 days a week on mine. I would highly recommend getting one. They're a bit less on the mileage (60 mpg) but it's still a lot. And I think they are very reliable. Only problems I've had after ~8000 miles in 8 months was poor dealer setup (blown fuse, 30 second fix) and just now had a damaged bearing that was letting some gear oil leak out. Nothing serious and should be fixed under warranty soon.

Oh and if you love to talk to people you'll love having an MP3. Plan an extra 20 minutes for each trip so you can answer all the questions :D

And check out modernvespa.com a close cousin of this site. They have an MP3 section with a bunch of friendly folks and a couple of grump old gits (some of you know who I'm talking about :D ). lots of usefull info there.