Cuppini Tall winshield (WSBUD2) on an '08 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bluelghtning

Cuppini Tall winshield (WSBUD2) on an '08 125

Post by bluelghtning »

Okay, Sarah really wants this tall Cuppini Tall - WSBUD2 windshield on her 08 Buddy. From searching the forum, it looks like the reason it won't fit is that the headlight was smaller in 06 and increased in 07 and hence the reason for the WSBUD3 windshield for 07 and later models. We actually just picked up the WSBUD3 windshield but she thinks she'll like the taller one better.

Has anyone modified their 07 or 08 to accept this WSBUD2 windshield. This thread gives some good hints about modifying your windshield and I've modified screens before on other bikes when I was making them fit.

Does anyone have any pics of them on their scoot with this screen (any year) to share?

I saw these pics on the Scooterworks site.

WSBUD2

WSBUD3

I guess there is also the Prima, but not sure on the look on this one since its more universal
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I love my National Cycle Scoot 66 windshield. There is a thread here somewhere...

Here it is.
viewtopic.php?t=8900&highlight=windshield
Attachments
My spawn on the Buddy. The shield deflects the cold air but at 5"1" she can still see over it.
My spawn on the Buddy. The shield deflects the cold air but at 5"1" she can still see over it.
Em on Buddy.JPG (21.76 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Interesting, I hadn't seen those shields before.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Ah, the power of "search". I got mine at a substantial discount via a link someone posted. Your turn to go look. I am not a fan of tall shields. Looking through a full face helmet AND a rain covered windshield at night is not fun. Also, even the smaller shield has caused a 5mph drop in top speed. The "flyscreen" on my Vespa added 5mph. The advantage of wind tunnel testing.

The Scoot 66 is a generic shield but it looks custom made for the Buddy. It fits nicely around the headlight. The rectangular shape blocks a bit more wind than a tapered one.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

olhogrider wrote:I love my National Cycle Scoot 66 windshield. There is a thread here somewhere...

Here it is.
viewtopic.php?t=8900&highlight=windshield
+1 on that shield. Otherwise slip streamer makes a SUPER TALL windshield too. I wouldnt go too tall otherwise you create wind drag. Small/medium windshields help on top speeds and increase mpg.
Lagerhead

Re: Cuppini Tall winshield (WSBUD2) on an '08 125

Post by Lagerhead »

bluelghtning wrote:
Does anyone have any pics of them on their scoot with this screen (any year) to share?
Quite a few if you snoop around here...---> http://flickr.com/photos/78266126@N00/3142872356/

All on 2006 Bud's though. We (Bonegirl and I) run the tall windshield all winter and none in the summer. We don't like the smaller W/S's we've tried.

Sorry for the link, I don't think you're supposed to direct link to flickr and I'm too lazy to rightclicksaveasuploadbrowsedesktopjpgphotobucketcopyandpasteimgcode... :lol:
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

The picture of the ivory buddy with the tall windshield is exactly the same set up that went out of control in a 20 mph cross wind ended up taking 2 toes off of 2 toes off Renae.

We have now seen 3 crashes where too tall of a windshield on a lightweight scooter was the direct cause. In a side wind you simply can't maintain control once it starts flapping.

Yes, I've heard how if she was wearing boots or steel toes this wouldn't have happened, but if the bike didn't have such a big windshield there would have been no crash to speak of.

DO NOT CLICK BELOW UNLESS YOU'RE READY FOR SOMETHING GROSS..

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/toes.jpg
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think losing toes has to do more with whether you are wearing the right foot gear or not rather than the windshield all to blame.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Without the windshield there would have been no crash to begin with.

She also suffered hand, elbow and torso injuries. She was wearing a $300 armored jacket, riding gloves and a top of the line full face.

She's a very experienced daily rider and I was directly behind her. Blaming the footwear for the injury is like blaming rape on attractive clothing. .
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I took my windshield WSBUD3 off and sold it.
It caused a roaring sound with my helmet, and I didn't like how it changed the feel of the ride.

So I wear a FF helmet, and a leather jacket when it's cold.
No wind gets through my leather jacket. It's great.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Gypsyangel

Post by Gypsyangel »

I'm diggin' that scoot 66 windscreen. Do they all come with the cured-out upper lip? That always seems to work the best with motorcycle touring.
Another thing I noticed with the windscreen I currently have is a slight front wobble or head waggle, whatever you want to call it, it seems to catch wind and cause the front to waggle side to side ever so slightly. Not enough for me to worry about,but I noticed it. Anyone else ever hae this issue?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Let's try to stay on point, people, and avoid any spurious comparisons or laying of blame for things that happened long ago and have already been discussed ad infinitum here and elsewhere.

Tall windshields pose a danger when used on these lighter scooters.
Proper footwear can help prevent injury in the event of a crash.

To the OP: I'm not sure there's much benefit from a windshield that tall unless you live in the coldest of climates. The mid-sized ones (12"-14" or so off the headlight) provide a lot of benefit in terms of acceleration, MPGs, etc. but take some getting used to because they can redirect wind to the chest or face and are noisier than riding without. Personally, I'm a big fan on the mid-sized ones in general… but some riders never get used to them.

The other option if you're willing to do it is to buy the tall shield and cut it down to a better height. Most tutorials I've seen recommend just under the rider's eye level. I don't know if that would still be subject to the same issues as the tall shield, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Well, GypsyAngel above you is who the windshield is for and her Pink Buddy. What she is trying to do is block the cold in the winter and she liked the fact that it comes out far enough to block the hands also. It probably wouldn't be a windshield that would be used in warmer weather.

Granted it doesn't get that cold here in GA, but Sarah has been spoiled by electric gear and hand grips along with Hippo Hands or her Kawi Ninja 650R. From everything I've read, most scoots this size including the buddy don't even have enough extra juice from the stator to power heated grips, much less a vest.

I think overall, she is not happy with the WSBUD3 windshield. Not sure that real tall one would be any better. That is a good point that a bigger windshield can catch the air and cause you issues. However, we generally have no wind here in GA, unless a storm is rolling through.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I got Hippo Hands for my Buddy for Christmas. I haven't tried them on the bike yet, but my husband ordered them and they supposedly had them sized for the Buddy.
old and in the way

windscreens!!!!!!!!

Post by old and in the way »

:D Can't say enough good things about my new 66 scoot screen I instaled over Holidays!! I'ts great at directing the wind up and over my chest AND face without acting like a sail! I wear a levy jack and scarf and scorpion 200 3/4 helmet and I don't feel wind in my eyes at 55mph. I am 5ft.8" and it just goes over the top. I left a gap of appx.1/2"above the headlite so it doesn't bounce aginst the lite when Ihit a pothole.Doesn't seem to let wind under gap. :) Also my scooter cover still fits over all! At 66$plus tax Ithink you can't go wrong.................old and in the way,going for a scoot tomorrow as it's suposed to be in the 60's or 70's ,full moon, and sunny!!!what more can you ask in Jan.?????????????/
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

WSBUD3 here on my 2007 Bud. The wind is channeled over my head which is above the screen. There was a bit of noise when I first put it on but after adjusting it a tad for angle all is well. I look over it and wear a full face helmet and am 6' tall, like long walks on the beach... :mrgreen:
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Yes, I think the key thing for any windscreen is to be able to test drive it on your (or similar) bike before you buy. I think it's a love it or hate it kind of thing.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Maybe I'm missing something here but I have yet to hear any negative comments on the Scoot 66. Got mine up to 75 bmph yesterday. No ill effects.
old and in the way

Scoot 66 the way to go!!!!!

Post by old and in the way »

Ican't say enought good about the new scoot66 I put on!!! I don't know how you[oldhogrider]can pull that much topend out of your Buddy!!!! I have aPrima pipe ,scoot66,and topcase plus lots of junk[tools,etc.]and my 220lbs. to carry.What mods would you recomend,oldhogrider,as you must be doing something right!!! Hope you got out for a ride today!!!!!!,What a day! Don't recall seeing so many bikes out in a long,long time. old and in the play :lol:
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Bone stock, downhill with a tailwind.
jfrost2

Re: windscreens!!!!!!!!

Post by jfrost2 »

old and in the way wrote::D Can't say enough good things about my new 66 scoot screen I instaled over Holidays!! I'ts great at directing the wind up and over my chest AND face without acting like a sail! I wear a levy jack and scarf and scorpion 200 3/4 helmet and I don't feel wind in my eyes at 55mph. I am 5ft.8" and it just goes over the top. I left a gap of appx.1/2"above the headlite so it doesn't bounce aginst the lite when Ihit a pothole.Doesn't seem to let wind under gap. :) Also my scooter cover still fits over all! At 66$plus tax Ithink you can't go wrong.................old and in the way,going for a scoot tomorrow as it's suposed to be in the 60's or 70's ,full moon, and sunny!!!what more can you ask in Jan.?????????????/
So many people have bought this windshield since I first introduced it to the forums, I wonder what windshield brand/model would be on everyone's bike if I never posted pics of it. Seems like every person so far has no complaints about it, expect loose mirrors, but this happens on all windshields since you cant turn the mirrors a full 360 degrees with the windshield itself blocking the way.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Bluelghtning,
I think you chose the best looking screen out of all the one's available.The WSBUD3.Hope it works well for Sarah and you.
Aerosmith, None Other.
MrNatural

Re: windscreens!!!!!!!!

Post by MrNatural »

jfrost2 wrote:
old and in the way wrote::D Can't say enough good things about my new 66 scoot screen...

So many people have bought this windshield since I first introduced it to the forums, I wonder what windshield brand/model would be on everyone's bike if I never posted pics of it. Seems like every person so far has no complaints about it, expect loose mirrors, but this happens on all windshields since you cant turn the mirrors a full 360 degrees with the windshield itself blocking the way.
First I'll give a shout out to jfrost2 :yawn: She seems to be in need of one.

I have a tall shield on my '06 Buddy. I'm aware of Phil's warnings. I rarely drive fast or way out in wide open spaces so I'm not too concerned about the wind pitfalls.
Living in MN it allows a more comfortable ride when temps drop under 30 degrees keeping the wind off me and my hands. Tho I doubt that's a factor in bluelghtning's decision. In warm temps I can't say enough of the height benefit keeping the noise down when I have the half-bucket on my head.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

I would never put a super tall windshield on a lightweight scooter like my Buddy... -A good wind gust could blow you all over the road and out of control!
I also would be leery of 55-65 MPH local hiway travel (which I do sometimes) on a small lightweight scooter equipped with such a giant windshield! :twisted:

Sailing, sailing.... !!?? :roll:

I would suggest that anyone who wants to ride around on a lil' Buddy with a giant windshield and only a half bucket on their noodle should indeed stick to 25 MPH local streets, on only perfect weather days, and even then there are no guarentees that massive windshield might'nt toss you....... :(
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I should say I DO plan to cut it down somewhere near the mid-sized one sometime this spring. Just wanted to get it installed last fall.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

olhogrider wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here but I have yet to hear any negative comments on the Scoot 66. Got mine up to 75 bmph yesterday. No ill effects.
I have it too and cautiously say I love it. I have not ridden for more than 10-15 miles at a strech yet.

-0 temps and icy roads are keeping me from writing a review :cry:

I had the tall windscreen, and loved the hand protection, but was aware of the risks. I have to say one time I hit 70 on a strait away and had trottle to go. scary. best it is no more
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

MrNatural wrote:I should say I DO plan to cut it down somewhere near the mid-sized one sometime this spring. Just wanted to get it installed last fall.
Good move. (At least IMO...) I had a very tall one on my Vespa GT200, but I cut it down to just about nose height. A bit noiser, true, a bit more wind too, but the handling is much better, with no noticable wind grab, and I don't have to worry about sudden rainstorms where I can't see thru the dang shield either! :twisted:

Best thing about a cut-down big shield is that the extra hand protection still remains, which is a real plus in colder NJ months..! 8)

I use the stock smaller shield on my Buddy, which means in colder months the Vespa usually gets the nod if I'm going out.. (And its having a bigger legshield doesn't hurt either!) :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Animaetrix00

Post by Animaetrix00 »

I'm not sure which one mine is, but my Buddy came with a windshield installed by the previous owner. Having never ridden one WITHOUT it, I can say it doesn't annoy me at all. :) I use a full face helmet too but flip the visor up a lot when it is really warm and the wind is out of my face.. 5'6"

Image[/img]