Calibrate speedo?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

13squared

Calibrate speedo?

Post by 13squared »

I've noticed that a few posters have speedos that read 5mph slow or so -- is there a method to calibrate the speedo on the scooter?

Just started looking to buy a scooter... Buddy seems fantastic so far. I just need to test ride one asap. My family will be in the Orlando area in early March -- does anyone know of a scooter rental shop or dealer in the area to try out several different scooters?
ellen

Re: Calibrate speedo?

Post by ellen »

13squared wrote:I've noticed that a few posters have speedos that read 5mph slow or so -- is there a method to calibrate the speedo on the scooter?
I don't think theres a scooter anywhere in the world which the speedo isn't off by 5 MPH :roll:
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I can't say what the speedometer is off by on mine, as I've never tried it with a GPS or a chase car. I've heard that they're off on almost everything. I don't know of a way to calibrate it, or hearing anybody mention they were going to.

"Orlando area" usually means Disney World, doesn't it?

I'm afraid that doesn't put you any closer to a Genuine dealer than where you are now:
http://www.genuinescooters.com/dealers.html

I know if you want to drive down I75 a couple hundred miles or so to Cincinnati you could test ride a Buddy this week (or pretty much whenever you like) at Metro Scooter. I hear Seth has ordered some Series Italia special editions...
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's about a 10%-15% variance on the speedos on all motorcycles and scoots. The reasons why have been debated all over and; I have no idea why it's this way.

I haven't heard of a way to calibrate them... Most riders do it in their head on the fly.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

meh, i just go with what it tells me and ignore the variance. I know it's there but I go a lot faster when I ignore it
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Dang! I didn't know this!! I was followed by an MP for a short while on base once, but he didn't make a move to get me, so I guess mine's not off by that much, if it is. Military bases are rather strict on this score, especially here, we have morons and speeders out the wazoo. :shock:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Catalyst wrote:Dang! I didn't know this!! I was followed by an MP for a short while on base once, but he didn't make a move to get me, so I guess mine's not off by that much, if it is. Military bases are rather strict on this score, especially here, we have morons and speeders out the wazoo. :shock:
The speedometers tend to be a bit optimistic -- if it said you were going 30, you were going closer to 27-ish or so...

Good for those of us with a heavy throttle hand. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The indicated MPH on the speedo is actually x% faster than your actual speed... so you're going slower than the speed limit if that's what it reads.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

ericalm wrote:The indicated MPH on the speedo is actually x% faster than your actual speed... so you're going slower than the speed limit if that's what it reads.
Beat ya! :lol: :P
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Jinx!
13squared

Neat links

Post by 13squared »

I was thinking that if my road bike's speedometer can have the ability to calibrate it by inputing the rim and tire size, certainly a scooter would have a similiar adjustment on it.

In fact, if the scooter's speedo couldn't be calibrated, i was considering just mounting a bicycle speedometer to it and calling it a day.

But then i was also thinking that it doesn't really matter all that much either....
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Actually hearing (what was actually in the back of my mind) that the speedometer is actually a tad faster than what you're actually going kinda eases my mind a bit.

I'm a bit anal about speed limits (must be me getting older. LMAO At 19, I blew the doors off an unmarked cop car, just outside my hometown, and didn't know it until my Sister said something to me. Well, he was going just a "taaaaad" under, and I wanted to the EXACT 45mph [Dad TOLD them to go get me.] So what was I suppose to do? LMAO)

I would still like to know how off I am. Knowing exactly how fast you're going is half the battle. I no longer have to have a speedo on my bicycle. I know my capabilities and my average speed. (14-15mph 18-21 in a good push 12-13 if I'm hauling the trailer, depending upon grade)

It really helps in up and coming accidents, you can better judge what you can and can't do to minimize the situation.

Dang, I think I've ridden a bike in traffic too long. LMAO :shock:
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

I've been wanting to make a custom faceplate that goes inside the speedo display. I was thinking it just might be easier to find out the percentage and at what point the MPH are off and then create the new faceplate with the adjusted markers. Nothing mechanical, purely superficial!... the sweetest kind of mod. To preserve the integrity of the original display I'll see if I can't make something that will just slip over the current setup.

Does anyone know if the speedo needle is removable? I've yet to mess with the display other than pushing it around to paint the panels on the scoot.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

As soon as I saw this thread I was thinking how fine a detail that would be.

Going now.

Kaz
BadBrains wrote:I've been wanting to make a custom faceplate that goes inside the speedo display. I was thinking it just might be easier to find out the percentage and at what point the MPH are off and then create the new faceplate with the adjusted markers.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

No hair is too fine to split. :D

Dennis
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

BadBrains wrote:I've been wanting to make a custom faceplate that goes inside the speedo display. I was thinking it just might be easier to find out the percentage and at what point the MPH are off and then create the new faceplate with the adjusted markers. Nothing mechanical, purely superficial!... the sweetest kind of mod. To preserve the integrity of the original display I'll see if I can't make something that will just slip over the current setup.

Does anyone know if the speedo needle is removable? I've yet to mess with the display other than pushing it around to paint the panels on the scoot.
Ive been wanting to do this too. I figure if you make the 80 a 70 and space the rest out accordingly it will be much closer to true speed. I think people have made custom faceplates before. Maybe someone can explain the precedure of changing it?
Scoot first, ask questions later.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Or you could just tape some thin lines or red electrical tape on the glass of the speedo every 10 mph or so. Much simpler.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

"There's about a 10%-15% variance on the speedos on all motorcycles and scoots. "

Wrong.

Its not that hard to make an accurate speedo.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Its not that hard to make an accurate speedo.
That doesn't mean they're not all off. I'm sure they ALL aren't, but I've compared several scooters and a few cars to GPS readings, and they all seem somewhat optimistic, it must just be an industrywide thing.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

agreed. Most scooters I know of are off. Not all bikes are off. Some are really close.

I believe most bike speedos are optimistic for marketing reasons.

My buell firebolt has been tested twice the stock set-up was only off -2% I attribute most of that to non stock tires and tire wear.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Most cars are optimistic, as well, people. ;)