Cold weather gear oil for the 2T buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Micah_Prophet

Cold weather gear oil for the 2T buddy

Post by Micah_Prophet »

I am finally getting around to changing the gear oil on my scoot (50cc) and am wondering about what weight to use - the recommendation from the service manual is SAE85-140 -

It is really cold in Colorado - the morning rides has been in the teens for the last two weeks and will likely stay that way for the next month and then maybe into the 20's - evening rides home are in the 20's and 30's.

A coworker recommended putting in something more like a 75-80 or 75-90 weight gear oil - any other recommendations? I am calling the folks at Sportique this afternoon and will share what they recommend.

Post by Micah_Prophet »

Called the folks at Sportique - they use 75-w90 that is likely where I will end up.

Post by Keys »

I use a full synthetic version of 75w-90 with good results.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Hey! Just now realized, you're near me! I bought mine scooter at Sportique too! Great folks, aren't they? :) They're patient, even with "confused people" like myself. :D

Oops, I stand corrected. I forgot they have three stores. LOL Maybe that's my dippy for the day. :D
Last edited by Catalyst on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micah_Prophet

Post by Micah_Prophet »

So I gave it a try last night and it was as thick as cold honey - yikes. I let it sit an hour and only about 300ml dripped out. Next time I will ride it for a while then let it sit inside (a recommendation from a coworker to pull more heat out of the engine and into the gear box) and then give it a go. I am a bit concerned about overfilling - is this a problem?

Post by Keys »

Yes. Overfilling IS an issue. There are several on this board who have overfilled their gearbox only to find their rear tire covered in oil where it had escaped through the weep-hole. The manual calls for 90-100 cc's.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"