NBR: What's the best way to destroy a scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ooOOoo!!!

How about "Guess which bolt isn't Lock-Tited at 60mph"? Now that'd be a show!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Melting is great…but then how do you get the plastic hot enough to melt without blowing the whole thing up? (Okay—empty gas tank, for one… uh…)

There are various types of industrial heaters for plastics manufacturing and other purposes.
http://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/ht_radiant.cfm
http://www.tempco.com/Default.htm
Infrared heaters apparently work better on plastics than other materials!
Big list of plastics processing heater manufacturers:
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/heate ... 401-1.html

There are also different types of giant industrial ovens and furnaces such as this one: http://www.plastivac.com/polycarbonate.asp

And these walk-in industrial ovens. The problem with the ovens is that I don't see any windows.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kurt
Dealer

Post by Kurt »

I can think of a few scooters I'd like to see steamrollered.

I saw a video where a VW Beetle was dropped into a giant shredder. The "owner" walked away with a piece of door panel. That was pretty neat, but it took a while to do.
<a href="http://urbanvillagescooters.com">Urban Village Scooters</a>
700 South Clinton Ave.
Rochester, NY 14620
585-643-5540
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Give it to the Top Gear guys to ride through Vietnam again...
EZPZ #65
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

Another idea...

Put the scooter in some type of open top container, supported above the ground. Have a vat of cement/hot glue/epoxy/molten metal/caustic liquid (pick one) suspended above the container. The idea is to stop or divert the flow of nasty stuff emptying out of the vat, or free the scooter from the container, or otherwise protect the scoot, before it's encased. If possible, a transparent container might make it more entertaining to watch if they fail.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Too funny. This is fast becoming one of the most creative and motivated threads on MB!

What a sick group of individuals. Don't ever change. :)

Weird coincidence after following this thread - Friday night I am riding out to watch a well known rock band blow a house to matchsticks for a rock video. (I can't mention what band but you'll see it on tv in a couple weeks.) If you think this stuff is cool to see on tv, it is really something to see live! If they let me take photos I'll see if I can get a shot of my scooter in the foreground...

Have fun everyone!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bunny

Post by bunny »

Do you remember those elaborate toothpick contraptions with an egg in the middle? Physics classes did it a lot. (*geek* alert)

Do as Galilleo and built same such contraption for the scooter and drop it from a really tall building...or cliff in the desert...yeah. That would be interesting.

Immolated scooter just sounds like a mechanically assisted bonfire to me.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kschulz wrote:Another idea...

Put the scooter in some type of open top container, supported above the ground. Have a vat of cement/hot glue/epoxy/molten metal/caustic liquid (pick one) suspended above the container. The idea is to stop or divert the flow of nasty stuff emptying out of the vat, or free the scooter from the container, or otherwise protect the scoot, before it's encased. If possible, a transparent container might make it more entertaining to watch if they fail.
I like this idea. You could build an acrylic frame (Mythbusters make them all the time) and have liquid plastic pour down onto the scooter. If the teams fail, the Bello will be encased in plastic, which would be extra cool.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kschulz

Post by kschulz »

ericalm wrote:
I like this idea. You could build an acrylic frame (Mythbusters make them all the time) and have liquid plastic pour down onto the scooter. If the teams fail, the Bello will be encased in plastic, which would be extra cool.
That's even better. Might not get a scooter, but they can at least go home with one helluva paper weight.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

This is probably dumb to ask, but that hasn't stopped me yet. Why are we assuming it will be a plastic scooter? I just reread the OP and the type was never mentioned. Maybe this game show is part of an evil scheme to rid the world of metal scooters. Just asking?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kazoo wrote:This is probably dumb to ask, but that hasn't stopped me yet. Why are we assuming it will be a plastic scooter? I just reread the OP and the type was never mentioned. Maybe this game show is part of an evil scheme to rid the world of metal scooters. Just asking?
It's a Flyscooters Il Bello. Plastic. Chinese. Goofy-lookin'.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Bridge to Nowhere: The contestants have to build a bridge out of available supplies, none of which are really long enough to form the backbone of a bridge. At the end of the allotted time, the scooter is towed across the bridge, with an Elmo doll on the seat and some training wheels to keep it upright.

If the bridge doesn't collapse and spill the scooter down into ______, they get to keep it.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

ericalm wrote:Melting is great…but then how do you get the plastic hot enough to melt without blowing the whole thing up? (Okay—empty gas tank, for one… uh…)

There are various types of industrial heaters for plastics manufacturing and other purposes.
http://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/ht_radiant.cfm
http://www.tempco.com/Default.htm
Infrared heaters apparently work better on plastics than other materials!
Big list of plastics processing heater manufacturers:
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/heate ... 401-1.html

There are also different types of giant industrial ovens and furnaces such as this one: http://www.plastivac.com/polycarbonate.asp

And these walk-in industrial ovens. The problem with the ovens is that I don't see any windows.
i empty those ovens at work such fun we use them to cure our parts
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scalpel wrote:Bridge to Nowhere: The contestants have to build a bridge out of available supplies, none of which are really long enough to form the backbone of a bridge. At the end of the allotted time, the scooter is towed across the bridge, with an Elmo doll on the seat and some training wheels to keep it upright.

If the bridge doesn't collapse and spill the scooter down into ______, they get to keep it.
This is an interesting angle on this—they have to somehow build something to safely convey the scooter.

If the bridge is over a pit of molten lava, even better. :)
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Anyone ever see a show called distraction? I think they destroyed a Vespa on that show at one point
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

ericalm wrote:This is an interesting angle on this—they have to somehow build something to safely convey the scooter.

If the bridge is over a pit of molten lava, even better. :)
Lava might be more than their budget can support. :) On the other hand, having them build a ten-foot bridge over the top of a car crusher, or one of those industrial shredders, or maybe between two buildings with a several-story drop into an alley or something. That would allow for a nice long drop, which would look great on TV.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

+1 on the Distraction comment...

They destroyed quite a few Vespa 50's for the show...proving once again that there are NO ORIGINAL IDEAS IN TV.

Jimmy Carr didn't create the series either...it was stolen from a BBC game show.

In any case here's my idea - and in keeping with the theme of this thread...it's completely un-original.

Place the scooter in the middle of the PVSC scooter rally and bust the key off in the "ON" position. I'm thinking right in the middle of the football field with a sign saying "I dare any sissy skinhead to ride me". Adding a "100% Vegan" or "Pure EMO" sticker might be a nice touch.

Your job is to keep that scooter intact for the weekend.

Bet you can't.

This is autobiographical. I've brought more than my fair share of detestable, flammable, unpopular, and downright annoying scooters to traditional rallies and had to work hard to keep them in one piece long enough to pitch them in the fire on Saturday night.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
hi2525

Post by hi2525 »

I believe mixing up some 64 grams iron oxide to 24 gram of aluminum. Mix it up. Put the mixture somewhere on the bike that gets hot from the bike running. Start the scooter up. Hopefully the scooter does not get melted and other fun stuff. They get to keep the scooter. Just be careful to wash it down, very carefully.
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:
kschulz wrote:Another idea...

My vote would be for these ideas ... I like them. The only problem could be that without some creative forethought, preventing a flow of liquid into a container might be relatively easy.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

nuttmeg75 wrote:Well, I think we can rule out the catapult. Network says they've had enough of 'em for a while. I think a steamroller or some form of melting are the office front runners so far. Keep those ideas coming. Thanks again.
You could set a steam roller on fire and have it run into the scooter.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Rob wrote:The only problem could be that without some creative forethought, preventing a flow of liquid into a container might be relatively easy.
depends on what materials they are given.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, here's the thing…

IMHO, the parameters for a good scooter death trap:

Time element, to build anticipation and allow teams opportunity to avert destruction
Not too elaborate or expensive
Must be replicable for each team
Actual destruction should be fairly quick rather than gradual. Teams shouldn't save the scooter, only to find it's half melted.
Destruction should be visible for cameras and should be dramatic or entertaining
Should require some amount of cleverness to prevent
Should be preventable using different approaches (i.e., more than one way to skin a cat)

My latest idea, then, based on the famous egg drops: Drop it out of a helicopter or plane over the Mojave.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Sorry you all wet. The Gorilla one is the best. After all Samsonite is plastic.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

First you need a track with sides high enough to keep the scooter upright...kinda like a hot wheels track.

The scooter is then suspended.

The scooter begins to lower as time elapses...this also pulls the string wrapped around the throttle increasing revs (did I fail to mention that the return spring has been removed?)

lower and lower...faster and faster.

Once contact with the track is made the suspension system is released.

Scoot runs down the track WFO untill...well what else could it be

BRICK WALL

Sometimes I scare myself...but not this time.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

hi2525 wrote:I believe mixing up some 64 grams iron oxide to 24 gram of aluminum. Mix it up. Put the mixture somewhere on the bike that gets hot from the bike running. Start the scooter up. Hopefully the scooter does not get melted and other fun stuff. They get to keep the scooter. Just be careful to wash it down, very carefully.
Does anywhere on the scoot get hot enough to start a thermite reaction? It usually takes a bit to get those started, also since the reaction provides its own oxygen from the rust, you can't exactly snuff it so once it starts you've lost.
would be a bit neater on a metal body scooter like a vespa because the whole thing would melt, even better just get an old rusty one and add aluminum shavings, expose to fireworks or road flares.
nuttmeg75

Post by nuttmeg75 »

Thanks so much for all of your ideas. Now it appears that we're going to put training wheels on the scooter, build a ramp and run it (rider-less, of course) off the roof of a tall building.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

nuttmeg75 wrote:Thanks so much for all of your ideas. Now it appears that we're going to put training wheels on the scooter, build a ramp and run it (rider-less, of course) off the roof of a tall building.
Oh, sure… that'll probably do it, too. :)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Aw, can there at least be Mortal Kombat spikes at the bottom with flames?
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

you've gotta use thermite for something at least on another episode, keep X from igniting because once it does, you can't put it out 'til it's done and everything is melted.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

ericalm wrote: It's a Flyscooters Il Bello. Plastic. Chinese. Goofy-lookin'.
Hah SO simple! Simply ride the bike normally for 300 miles.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

nissanman wrote:Give it to the Top Gear guys to ride through Vietnam again...
+1
rondothemidget

Scooter Destruction

Post by rondothemidget »

I like the classic suspense cliche used in movies - with time ticking down and a bomb about to explode, which wire do you cut? The red wire or the green wire?!? If the contestant picks the right wire, they get to keep the scooter. If they pick the wrong wire - kablooey!
Latch

Post by Latch »

pull up on the left side of a GRTC bus as it signals its about to pull away from the bus stop, its GOING to pull off no matter what!
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

i say you just put it in a large spinning cylinder with a door and crank up the speed.
nuttmeg75

NBR: What's the best way to destroy a scooter? UPDATE

Post by nuttmeg75 »

In case you're curious, the first episode of "Catch It/Keep It" airs on Friday July 17th at 10pm on the Science Channel. In this episode, a Flyscooter il Bello will be launched down an 80 foot runway and off a 15 degree ramp at the top of a 26 foot building. 3 contestants have 48 hours to build something to save it. Sorry for the shameless plug, but I was the editor this episode.

http://tinyurl.com/nntpxa
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

My wife and I got a chuckle out of the teaser commercial where the guy is cryin' over the front panel being removed. :lol: Nice touch with the cylinder head on the ground in the next clip. Looks like it could be interesting...
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

try this,, on a drug infested street

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

,,chain it up overnite downtown in a know drug infested area,, it will look like
paranahas(sp) got ahold of it,, do use an alarm so that they will run away and come back and try to disable the alarm..kewl,,
oh and use a big stainless steel cable lock
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

The show sounds cool, I don't have cable so I haven't seen any commercials for it... So if they save the scooter do they all get their own or do they have to share? One gets it mondays and thursdays, one gets tuesdays and fridays, the other wendesdays and saturdays... but what about sunday? :shock:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

KRUSTYburger wrote:The show sounds cool, I don't have cable so I haven't seen any commercials for it... So if they save the scooter do they all get their own or do they have to share? One gets it mondays and thursdays, one gets tuesdays and fridays, the other wendesdays and saturdays... but what about sunday? :shock:
That sounds like another episode. Battle robot build-off. 10' squared arena, keys suspended in the middle, the droids have to snatch the keys and make it out of the arena alive and/or disable the other bots to be declared winner. 2-hour time limit so as not to ruin a day's worth of riding for the winner. :twisted:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

That's what I'm talkin' bout. 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alright! I'll set the DVR. Wonder if we could talk a joint with a big screen to host a local group watching party?
robby

Post by robby »

Paint it green and drive it through Iran.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Ride it into a 1 percenters biker bar and tell everyone there that Harleys suck and they're dumb shits for riding them...

(No, wait... -That's how to get yourself destroyed!) :shock:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200