Honda doing market research

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

Honda doing market research

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I bought a Ruckus for my wife this year (She didn't want a Buddy cause it doesn't look tough enough for her badass 5'1" self :lol: ) Honda just called me, they are doing market research and one of the questions they asked was would I be interested in a 125cc Ruckus and how much would I pay for such a scooter. I told then hell yeah I'd be interested as long as they put a disc brake on it (her brakes suck and I'll be adding a disc up front to the tune of about $500) and it didn't cosy more than $3000. I really hope this is a sign that Hondas back in the scooter game.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

Oh man, that'd be awesome. I'd be all over it if Honda offered a Ruckus like that.
'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
laxer

Post by laxer »

Would a Rattler or Roughhouse be "badass" enough for your wife?
jasondavis48108

she looked at them but shes way too short! Even with the Ruckus she can only put one foot down if she stays on the seat
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
laxer

Post by laxer »

Ahhh, got ya! Well, as long as she's happy. Maybe ask Citizen-X about some simple mods to make the thing a bit quicker...
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd love to see a 125cc ruckus on the same exact body, but with disc brakes. The concept 125cc ruckus a few years back was really ugly and fancy looking, not off road looking like the current ruckus.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Under $3K? Have you seen Honda's recent prices?

Ruckus 125 would rock, though. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

See, for me, I'd be interested in a 125cc Metropolitan...

Then again, I do OWN a Metro, so I suppose I'm a bit biased... :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'd buy a 125 Ruck if it was cheap enough (probably wouldn't be) and I'd LOOOOVE to see a higher displacement Yamaha C3, of course I've said that like a million times.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If honda would sell a 125cc ruckus and c3 for $2500 MSRP, that would seriously compete with the buddy. Ruckus's are great bikes for their value, but the problem is they only come in 50cc currently. People who love the style, but not the displacement are forced to look else where for a 125cc bike.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

bring back the big tuckus
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Big Ruckus is nice, the seating position is perfect IMO. Plus the cool folding back seat to backrest thingy...
Only problem was I think it's butt-ugly, they didn't quite get the look of the little Ruckus.
jasondavis48108

I don't think that Honda really considers the Buddy its competition. I think that its more likely that they are considering a 125cc Ruckus to compete with the Zuma 125 which is an awesome scooter but lacks a kickstart which is a nessessity as far as I am concerned. The Zuma has an msrp of $2999 i believe so if Honda wanted to compete with it they'd have to set thier price right arounf that mark. I know the new Elite is a 108cc and it will have a $2999 msrp. I too sincerly hope that if they do bring out a 125cc Ruckus that it looks more like the current 50cc version and not like the god aweful ugly 125cc concepts they had a few years back. I am excited by the prospect of a 125cc Ruckus though. I already have a 50cc buddy so I'm not really looking to get a 125cc buddy unless I find one at a price that would justify it. The Ruckus is a very unique looking scooter and if a 125cc version used the same body as the 50, it would be very popular and have tons of aftermarket support. I would love to have a scooter with that kind of aftermarket support so I could really make the thing my own custom ride. Its the only thing I'm really jealous of when it comes to my wifes Ruckus and I'm jealous enough that I've seriuosly considered picking up a used Ruck and doing a 150cc conversion. Having Honda produce a 125cc would be alot easier and cheaper :)
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

I love my buddy but a 125 Ruckus. Ohhh, the possiblities.... All terrain tires, improve the low ind torque, better shocks. I have a new off road toy. 'Couse I could do that with the 50 but as Tim, The toolman, Tayler is so fond of saying "More power".
TVB

Post by TVB »

LisaLisa wrote:bring back the big tuckus
I've been trying to get rid of mine. ;)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I don't think that Honda really considers the Buddy its competition. I think that its more likely that they are considering a 125cc Ruckus to compete with the Zuma 125
Bingo.

And the Vino 125.

And to have something else to sell customers when they stop laughing at how much the SH125 costs.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I covet the Big Ruckus something bad. If I see one pop up in my area, and it's not a total piece, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. That thing reaks of comfort and it's "WTFness" just adds to the beauty of it. Me and my oddball, low production run lusts....

A 125 Ruckus (small frame) would be kinda awesome though. Kinda very awesome. I saw a Ruckus yesterday that had ammo can side cases... man, I really would love something like that. Ruckuses (Rucki?) are ugly as sin, but in all the right ways.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:I covet the Big Ruckus something bad. If I see one pop up in my area, and it's not a total piece, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. That thing reaks of comfort and it's "WTFness" just adds to the beauty of it. Me and my oddball, low production run lusts....

A 125 Ruckus (small frame) would be kinda awesome though. Kinda very awesome. I saw a Ruckus yesterday that had ammo can side cases... man, I really would love something like that. Ruckuses (Rucki?) are ugly as sin, but in all the right ways.
There's a guy that rides with my group all the time on a Big Ruk, I always thought it was kinda a neat looking scoot. He calls it his sport utility scooter :) It seems kinda slow for a 250 though, I outpace it easily.

You could always get one of the GY6 conversion Ruckuses, then you'd have a 125/150 Ruckus on the 50cc frame ;)
jasondavis48108

Kaos wrote:
You could always get one of the GY6 conversion Ruckuses, then you'd have a 125/150 Ruckus on the 50cc frame ;)
I've given this route some serious thought. There was a Big Ruckus for sale near me but they wanted $5500 for it and I just didn't have that kind of loot. I could get a burgman for considerably less than that around here. Also, the Big Ruck looks like it may be a 1st or 2nd cousin of the little Ruckus but Honda definitely did not get what was drawing folks to the little Ruckus when they birthed the Big Ruck. It could win an ugliest scooter contest without much effort and most of the reivews that I read said that it was underpowered and over priced. Then again, I think I paid too much for the little ruckus seeing as it has front and rear drum brakes (they suck something fierce) so I'm gonna have to dump a ridiculous amount of money into it in the spring to upgrade to disc. The things we do for the ones we love :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Kaos wrote:
I've given this route some serious thought. There was a Big Ruckus for sale near me but they wanted $5500 for it and I just didn't have that kind of loot. I could get a burgman for considerably less than that around here. Also, the Big Ruck looks like it may be a 1st or 2nd cousin of the little Ruckus but Honda definitely did not get what was drawing folks to the little Ruckus when they birthed the Big Ruck. It could win an ugliest scooter contest without much effort and most of the reivews that I read said that it was underpowered and over priced. Then again, I think I paid too much for the little ruckus seeing as it has front and rear drum brakes (they suck something fierce) so I'm gonna have to dump a ridiculous amount of money into it in the spring to upgrade to disc. The things we do for the ones we love :)
I'd never noticed that they were front drum scoots. That seems kinda silly when discs are so easy and inexpensive these days.
jasondavis48108

yeah, my wife damn near wrecked herself (and me) at a stop lihgt when she was following me and I had to brake a bit hard. Another time she tried to stop at a yellow light and wound up in the middle of the intersection. You really have to plan your braking on the ruckus cause the drum brakes suck so bad. I will definitly be doing the conversion in the spring but we just don't have the loot right now and the conversion kits cost upwards of $500.00 :cry: Its sad, Honda really dropped the ball on this one.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote: There's a guy that rides with my group all the time on a Big Ruk, I always thought it was kinda a neat looking scoot. He calls it his sport utility scooter :) It seems kinda slow for a 250 though, I outpace it easily.

Yeah, I wouldn't get it for speed. It'd be a cruiser scooter (with adventure riding gear and all). If I want quick and light, I'd get... wait, I've already got that one covered! :lol:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I don't think that Honda really considers the Buddy its competition. I think that its more likely that they are considering a 125cc Ruckus to compete with the Zuma 125
Bingo.

And the Vino 125.

And to have something else to sell customers when they stop laughing at how much the SH125 costs.
I think a portion of their target for the Ruckus 50 (and possible 125) are also customers in the powersports/dirt bike/ATV markets who are just looking for something fun but not necessarily a scooter. Many buyers probably don't really think of these as "scooters" in the sense that we do. There are also those Battlescooter types who regard these as not belonging to another category of 2-wheeler and who are all about tuning and tricking these babies out. They're a lot like the bicycle customizers, who don't see themselves as part of a culture that includes bike commuters, trail riders, etc. and who are into it for totally different reasons.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
laxer

Post by laxer »

If a 125cc Ruckus had been available when I was looking, I may very well have not bought the Rattler...
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

A buck ten or a ruckus 125. Now that is a deciesion i would not want to make. To tuff to call. I just have to get both. 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A_Hunter wrote:A buck ten or a ruckus 125. Now that is a deciesion i would not want to make. To tuff to call. I just have to get both. 8)
With the Buck Ten you get AWESOME 2-STROKE FURY!
A_Hunter

Post by A_Hunter »

ericalm wrote:
A_Hunter wrote:A buck ten or a ruckus 125. Now that is a deciesion i would not want to make. To tuff to call. I just have to get both. 8)
Could not have said it better myself.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Please Honda, please. Please bring the SH300i to America. And price it no higher than the mesosphere.

Little Ruckus body with a 125...that would be some kick-buttness.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

laxer

Post by laxer »

A_Hunter wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Could not have said it better myself.
Yes now that I have moved to "somewhat educated about scooters/owner" status, I would definitely take my RatJack. But back then, I had no idea about anything, and kinda lucked out that they only had the fifty, cause I test drove it first... :oops: (for shame)
jasondavis48108

I'd definitly take the rattler over a ruck 50 anyday. If the ruck were to be a 125cc however, I'd probably go with the ruck and the insane aftermarket support they would inevitably have. btw have any of you rattler owners done much off road with the rattler? If so how does it handle in the dirt?
laxer

Post by laxer »

After playing with the unifilter pod and the jetting, I'm a huge fan of the 110 2-stroke! There is SO much untapped power in that engine, I can't wait to see what else I can do to get "More Power, ugh arr ugh arr arr!"
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

laxer wrote:After playing with the unifilter pod and the jetting, I'm a huge fan of the 110 2-stroke! There is SO much untapped power in that engine, I can't wait to see what else I can do to get "More Power, ugh arr ugh arr arr!"
I'd be interested in seeing what you could get outa it. We're doing tons with the 125 4T's, that I'll bet the 110 2T can be fantastic as well.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Kaos wrote:
laxer wrote:After playing with the unifilter pod and the jetting, I'm a huge fan of the 110 2-stroke! There is SO much untapped power in that engine, I can't wait to see what else I can do to get "More Power, ugh arr ugh arr arr!"
I'd be interested in seeing what you could get outa it. We're doing tons with the 125 4T's, that I'll bet the 110 2T can be fantastic as well.
There are a couple guys on the rattler site that have done some neat one-off stuff and have gotten some really high top speeds. Too bad I'm not as good at the DIY stuff...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

laxer wrote:
Kaos wrote:
There are a couple guys on the rattler site that have done some neat one-off stuff and have gotten some really high top speeds. Too bad I'm not as good at the DIY stuff...
Yeah, and unfortunately one-off doesn't usually lend itself to reliability.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Kaos wrote:
laxer wrote:
Kaos wrote: I'd be interested in seeing what you could get outa it. We're doing tons with the 125 4T's, that I'll bet the 110 2T can be fantastic as well.
True dat! If you ever get REALLY curious about what the 110 is capable of, I'd be happy to lend you mine to tinker with over the winter, granted it comes back running similar to your buddy :P
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

laxer wrote:
Kaos wrote:
laxer wrote: There are a couple guys on the rattler site that have done some neat one-off stuff and have gotten some really high top speeds. Too bad I'm not as good at the DIY stuff...
True dat! If you ever get REALLY curious about what the 110 is capable of, I'd be happy to lend you mine to tinker with over the winter, granted it comes back running similar to your buddy :P
Don't tempt me :P My wife barely tollerates me spending money on parts I don't really need for my Buddy, I don't think she'd go for me spending money on someone else's bike ;)