Quick Poll About Full Gear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do you always wear FULL gear when you ride?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 62

qryb

Quick Poll About Full Gear

Post by qryb »

Feel free to respond with details as well!

I ask because I'm finding it is already WAY too hot and muggy to ride with my big armored jacket on and it's only FEBRUARY!

I've been very, very, very bad and just riding in jeans, a 3/4 length sleeve shirt, and my helmet. :-\

Yes, BAD qryb! BAD! I know...

Just checkin' to see if I'm alone in this.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You might like to check this thread out...

topic9716.html

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Actually, a nice big heavy armored jacket on a nice hot day is very cool and refreshing, you'll be twice as hot without a jacket on.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

jfrost2 wrote:Actually, a nice big heavy armored jacket on a nice hot day is very cool and refreshing, you'll be twice as hot without a jacket on.
Um, that's a lie Mr.Ohio... come down here for the summer and you will see what I mean.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Yea that was a bit of a stretch.

But it sorta is true, if you live in a really hot place, a mesh jacket instead will keep you even cooler since it has a million little holes that let wind it.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

it has been hot and muggy these past few weeks, all i've been wearing are jeans, short sleeves and helmet, today, i went to work at 730 am and it was kind of chilly so i threw on a cardigan, by the time i got out and rode home, i was sweating and sticky from the hotness.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'm not saying that mesh jackets are bad, I have one and it's hotter than the jacket I normally wear, but it has armor and my other one doesn't.
I opt for the protection over comfort unless its like ridiculously hot.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jfrost2 wrote:Yea that was a bit of a stretch.

But it sorta is true, if you live in a really hot place, a mesh jacket instead will keep you even cooler since it has a million little holes that let wind it.
Yes just a BIT of a stretch, frosty, but I do agree that while moving (key piece of info there), a mesh jacket can actually help direct wind to all the right places and keep you cooler. The problem is the stop lights!

To answer the OP (and I second checking out the link in the first reply), I do the same thing a lot. No jacket, just boots, jeans, gloves, and my helmet. I do try to wear the jacket most of the time though. Stupid stop lights.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Man I sure hope mesh jackets help to keep you cooler. I just bought 2 today!! :shock:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'm looking forward to warmer weather, yes, but not to having to get another jacket. Hopefully I'll find one I really like by May when the 90F days start.

I definately plan on wearing jacket and full-finger gloves, though. (Helmet goes without saying.) I'm not fond of short sleeves and exposed fingers ever since my bicycling days when I came back from a ride with sunburn from my knuckles all the way up to my shoulders and across my cheeks.
Never again!
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

I ride with a helmet, riding jacket, gloves, and shoes at all times.

Sometimes I'll wear shorts if I'm just going around town but anything outside of that I wear pants all the time.

I'm fortunate enough to have a mesh jacket and a selection of different helmets and gloves for different occasions.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Having ridden last summer with full gear I wear mine and agree that while moving I am fine in my gear. The stops are brutal but you get used to it after a while and you learn that hydration is no joke when that temp gets high.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:You might like to check this thread out...

topic9716.html
+1

qryb, it's probable that you missed this thread because of the subject line, "MOTGMOTT." It means "Most of the Gear, Most of the Time," which is a play on a more common acronym, "ATGATT," which is "All of the Gear, All of the Time."

Even when we discuss "full gear" or "all of the gear," you'll find people hgave different definitions of what this means. In the MOTGOTT thread, for instance, some people say they wear "a jacket," but for me and many others the only jackets that make much of a difference are armored riding jackets or riding leathers. Others may wear a helmet all the time, but does that mean an open-face, full-face or other?

For me, full gear or ATGATT means full face or modular helmet, armored riding jacket, riding gloves, riding pants, and boots. ATGATT adherents are in the minority, but tend to be pretty dedicated to it. If you check the other thread, you'll see that there's quite a range in what most of us wear.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vegetable

Post by vegetable »

Always ! :helmet:
the full face helmet, gloves ,& last summer bought a mesh jacket winter leather jacket.
only exception when fukkin with my jetting to run up & down the street quick
Cheers VegetAblE
(A)//(E)
Ten Inch Scooter Crew
Kaos

Re: Quick Poll About Full Gear

Post by Kaos »

qryb wrote:Feel free to respond with details as well!

I ask because I'm finding it is already WAY too hot and muggy to ride with my big armored jacket on and it's only FEBRUARY!

I've been very, very, very bad and just riding in jeans, a 3/4 length sleeve shirt, and my helmet. :-\

Yes, BAD qryb! BAD! I know...

Just checkin' to see if I'm alone in this.
So get a lighter jacket. I find in the summer, I'm actually cooler riding in a mesh jacket than without it.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Trust me. Summer time in Texas, it doesn't matter. You can cook an egg on the black top here. I own a mesh jacket and put it through trials in May. I got so hot sitting in traffic I almost passed out. And you need a modular or 3/4 helmet so you can take a drink of water at a stoplight.

And it may only be February, but it was 91 degrees in Austin yesterday.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i always wear boots, full face helmet and mesh gloves. i have a mesh jacket and mesh pants both with armor that i wear 98% of the time. otherwise jeans and the mesh jacket, but i am sure it doesn't get as hot in the summer here in Dixie as it does in Houston. Stop lights weren't tooooo bad in the height of summer. once i wore boots, ff helmet, gloves, tee-shirt, and shorts. it was nice but i felt naked.
dmerzbac

Post by dmerzbac »

I just bought my scoot today, and I am still waiting on all the gear, but I do plan on ff, mesh jacket, gloves, and boots all of the time. I agree with others. It isn't worth taking the chance.

Dave
qryb

Post by qryb »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:You might like to check this thread out...

topic9716.html
Thanks!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Step 1. TAKE YOUR PHONE OUT OF YOUR JACKET!!!!

Step 2. dunk your mesh jacket in water.

Ahhhhh. Cool.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
qryb

Post by qryb »

Thanks y'all!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Strange how the stats here don't seem to jibe with the mottgott thread. Hmmm.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

LisaLisa wrote:Step 1. TAKE YOUR PHONE OUT OF YOUR JACKET!!!!

Ahhhhh. Cool.
I'm utterly excited to try this this summer and utterly embarrassed that I hadn't considered it before...
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
LisaLisa wrote:Step 1. TAKE YOUR PHONE OUT OF YOUR JACKET!!!!

Ahhhhh. Cool.
I'm utterly excited to try this this summer and utterly embarrassed that I hadn't considered it before...
by the way if you forget step 1 (like I did), you need to immediately remove the battery and sim card and put the phone in a ziplock full of rice. Do not turn the phone on. If you do, it makes the resurrection process take longer, and may limit its efficacy.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:Strange how the stats here don't seem to jibe with the mottgott thread. Hmmm.

Howard
I think it's still a matter of what people think is "full gear."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
qryb

Post by qryb »

ericalm wrote:I think it's still a matter of what people think is "full gear."
Yeah, my question is pretty vague...
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

I voted no because I don't wear armored pants or boots. I tend to wear thicker jeans (none of that pre worn crap) and leather shoes.

I wear an armored mesh jacket and while you tend to melt and go a little crazy from the heat in your helmet once you take off it feels real good. Humidity and other variables apply. I'm usually more concerned that my shoes will melt to the road.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I always wear full gear which, for me, = FF helmet, hiking boots, gloves, jeans and armored jacket (one for cold; one mesh for hot). Yeah it can get hot at stop lights but I would rather sweat it out than "chill-out" in a nice ICU bed again. :P

My $.02: physics and asphalt don't care what the temperature is when you crash or how far from home you rode. I work in the medical field and I've seen far too much to take any chances. :?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.