Side panel covers?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Roninson

Side panel covers?

Post by Roninson »

Having just received my Blur this week, I noticed a bit of wear on the left side panel. I thought maybe this was due to some saddlebag strapping from the previous owner, but after parking it a few times, I soon realized it was probably due to getting the scoot on its center stand, as standing next to it with the bike resting on your hip seems to be the best approach to getting it on the stand.

Given this might only get worse with time (unless I figure out a better strategy to place it on the stand), I thought about attaching a small piece/strip of thin foam padding at the contact point. It may also protect the panels if/when I purchase some saddlebags.

Has anyone done this? Or am I just putting the scoot on the stand incorrectly?

Thanks!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Can't say that I've ever noticed making contact with body panels when putting it up on the stand. I just face the scooter with my left hand on the left grip, my right on the grab rail. A quick push straight down with my right foot along with a little pull to the rear with my hands and it's done.

What method are you using?
Roninson

Post by Roninson »

Hey Charlie - thanks for the reply.

Sounds similar, but I could be going about it the wrong way (or I'm just weaker, lighter).

I stand facing the scoot, place my left hand on the left grip, right hand on the rail, right foot on the stand. I push down with my foot, but I also need to throw my weight a bit to get the scoot to roll back. As putting more weight on my right foot, it causes my body to contact the bike. Perhaps I'm just not giving it the proper "rock" momentum to get it on the stand itself.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Oh, forgot to mention.....

It helps a bit if you consume three plates of pasta, an entire loaf of Italian bread, and a honkin' slice of cheesecake before attempting this. :wink:
Roninson

Post by Roninson »

Hehe, that would definitely help with leverage.

Actually, I tried the center stand again tonight and it was considerable easier to place than the previous evening. Perhaps the stand was being a bit stubborn last night.

Thanks for the reply - I might still invest in some trim to cover up the small worn sections on the panels.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

put your weight on the stand, it works as a lever to lift the bike. You wanna hold onto the bike to keep control of it, but you shouldn't have to lift it.

If it hurts your feet, you're not wearing safe scootering shoes. : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

yeah i've never made contact with the panels before either. just psuh it down with your weight, that should do the trick...

hope you're enjoying the bike!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Let the bike roll backward ever-so-slightly *then* put the stand down and it'll pop up on it like you've been doing it forever.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I had trouble with this the first few times until I realized that it requires little or no effort if the scooter is upright. I was trying to put it on the center stand when it was leaning a bit and it was hard as heck.

By the way, my center stand isn't retracting all the way lately. I suppose a little WD-40 is in order. Seems to stick. Bit hard to get it off the stand too. Anyone eles experience this?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I like white lithium grease (the stuff that they recommend for car door hinges) because it sticks to the hinges better/longer. That's the stuff I used when mine started giving me some trouble (same thing you're experiencing).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Roninson

Post by Roninson »

KCScooterDude wrote:I had trouble with this the first few times until I realized that it requires little or no effort if the scooter is upright. I was trying to put it on the center stand when it was leaning a bit and it was hard as heck.

Yep, this is exactly what I was doing originally. Since posting (and the replies here) I'm now able to place the scoot on the stand - and with a lot less effort.