Prima Exhaust/Yoshimura Exhaust comparison

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Prima Exhaust/Yoshimura Exhaust comparison

Post by Kaos »

As many of you know, I had chosen to install a Yoshimura exhaust
on my Buddy instead of going the usual Prima exhaust route that
most people take.

The Yoshimura pipe has been working great for the last 2500 miles with no complaints. Till a week ago. The bracket that holds the pipe to the bike
randomly sheared off. The break was in a spot that would have required some serious welding to repair, so I said heck with it and purchased a Prima.

The Yoshimura added a fair amount of low end torque when I first installed it while maintaining about the same volume level as the stock pipe, though the sound was much more raspy than the stock one.
The top end also gained some, but it really made little difference in the middle ranges.

The Prima has added some serious low end torque to my bike, as well as a decent amount in the mid-ranges. I've not yet taken it out on a road I can test the top end.

But the sound! Man it growls like its got a pissed off little gremlin trapped in the resonator!

The look of the pipe is also much more highly polished, and looks to be of slightly higher quality steel.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Yeah, I love my Prima. My Harley riding neighbor gets a kick out of how loud it is. This coming from a guy whose bike will shake pictures off your wall when he drives by is kind of funny. Man, our buddies are starting to even out. I'll be ordering my cam this week :D . Once you verify the cylinder kit I'll be diving into that as well. Thanks for your research and balls out willingness to do that mod. I could jump in right now, but it was your gig from the beginning so I'd like you to get the initial glory of first adopter on that one.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:Yeah, I love my Prima. My Harley riding neighbor gets a kick out of how loud it is. This coming from a guy whose bike will shake pictures off your wall when he drives by is kind of funny. Man, our buddies are starting to even out. I'll be ordering my cam this week :D . Once you verify the cylinder kit I'll be diving into that as well. Thanks for your research and balls out willingness to do that mod. I could jump in right now, but it was your gig from the beginning so I'd like you to get the initial glory of first adopter on that one.

Dustin
Heh, yeah you're catching up to me quick! I'm going to grab a UNI filter and some jets here soon for that mod you did.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
djelliott wrote:Yeah, I love my Prima. My Harley riding neighbor gets a kick out of how loud it is. This coming from a guy whose bike will shake pictures off your wall when he drives by is kind of funny. Man, our buddies are starting to even out. I'll be ordering my cam this week :D . Once you verify the cylinder kit I'll be diving into that as well. Thanks for your research and balls out willingness to do that mod. I could jump in right now, but it was your gig from the beginning so I'd like you to get the initial glory of first adopter on that one.

Dustin
Heh, yeah you're catching up to me quick! I'm going to grab a UNI filter and some jets here soon for that mod you did.
Don't forget to slay the chicken first :)
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

r u selling ur yoshi pipe?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:r u selling ur yoshi pipe?
Yeah, if you want it. The bracket is busted though, so it'll be a bear to mount unless you want to fix it.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

how much do you want for it?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gearhead wrote:how much do you want for it?
Make me an offer. I don't mind helping ya out :)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Kaos wrote:
gearhead wrote:how much do you want for it?
Make me an offer. I don't mind helping ya out :)
you have mail :)