Gas Tank Leak

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kalajosh

Gas Tank Leak

Post by kalajosh »

Hi a few hours ago my gas tank started leaking from the tank itself above the part that I have attached to this post. The white tube thing has broken off in the tank. My coworker drained the tank and put 2 oOrings and some silicone sealant then put the part back on and filled it with gas. For now the leak has stopped. I ordered a replacement part and gas tank sealant. I haven't rode it yet because the silicone sealant is drying. Any suggestions on how to get that white piece out and what to do about all this?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230521_075456_Samsung Internet.jpg
DeeDee

Re: Gas Tank Leak

Post by DeeDee »

That white piece is an in-tank pre filter. It's compression fitted. It is not attached to the petcock. They are two seperate pieces. It slides into the tank first, then the petcock snugs up on to it. you can use a small all, a dental pick or a small screw driver to start to remove it. Onces it's proud of the tank flange, grab it with some needle nose pliers. I have also had success pushing it from above with the blunt end of the wooden handle from a rubber mallet. I suspect, the piece in your tank is still fine, and doing what it is supposed to be doing. Do you have the plastic or steel fuel tank?
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

It's steel I can't see the white thing but my coworker said he did.
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

I see it now I attached a picture 📸
Attachments
Screenshot_20230521_101421_Gallery.jpg
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Did you try snugging the petcock down 1/8 of a turn before you started ordering parts? If one of these fails, it's usually the internal diaphragm.
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

We tried to loosen it a little idk 🤷‍♂️ if it was 1/8 but it started dripping faster.
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

I replaced the petcock and sealed the area around it with tank sealer. It's been fine since then. Thanks everyone
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

I think the replacement petcock failed and is now leaking gas into the oil. I want to get a new one with fast shipping would this fit?

Fuel Gas Switch Pump Valve Petcock For Gy6 50cc 125cc 150cc Scooter Moped Go Kart ATV Fuel Gas Tank Petcock https://a.co/d/bCsvy3h
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How did you come up with that prognosis? If your float needle is doing what it's supposed to the fuel would stop there. Remove the gas line at the carb wih your scooter off. Is the line spewing fuel?
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

Yes yesterday I pulled the fuel line to clean the carb it kept leaking fuel so I pinched it off and cleaned the carb.
I ended up ordering this one.

1PZ GY1-M14 Vacuum Shut off Fuel Value Petcock 1/4 inch 1/4" port M14x1.5 Thread for GENUINE Scooter Moped Buddy 50cc 125cc / Rattler 110cc / Rough House 50cc # P6523000000 https://a.co/d/iJOWKTw

I want to try and replace the vacuum line too. Anyone know the inside diameter? I ordered a 3mm vacuum hose 5 feet long. Just a guesse if it will fit or not.

Ucreative 5FT High Temperature Silicone Vacuum Tubing Hose 130PSI Max Pressure Blue ID: 1/8" (3mm) https://a.co/d/6MyOTGo
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Vacuum line is 3/16, fuel line is 1/4 on these.
LilBuddy125

Post by LilBuddy125 »

I also had a problem with the automatic petcock. It started leaking internally, and flooded the chamber and filter. The carb needle valve did not stop it...

Not a big deal, but when you go out to get on and it reeks of gas, you might check that. I disconnected the fuel line at the carb, and fuel slowly poured out. An easy replacement, and still sound 3 years later.