Need a traffic lawyer in Brooklyn, NY

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasong222

Need a traffic lawyer in Brooklyn, NY

Post by jasong222 »

Anyone know a good traffic lawyer in Brooklyn, New York? I gots me a ticket I want to fight.
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Cost of lawyer would exceed the cost of ticket. You are better off studying how to fight it yourself. I beat 2 tickets this way.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does the ticketing policeman generally show up at court in NYC? They don't in may cases, so show up to fight it. Cheaper than a lawyer.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

I'm not worried about the cost. I'm worried about the points. And an insurance hike.

And in NYC, basically you don't win unless you show up with a lawyer. Not interested in rolling the dice with whether or not the cop shows up.

So... still looking for lawyer suggestions.
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
mike932

Post by mike932 »

skipper20

Re: Need a traffic lawyer in Brooklyn, NY

Post by skipper20 »

jasong222 wrote:Anyone know a good traffic lawyer in Brooklyn, New York? I gots me a ticket I want to fight.
How about giving us some more details like what were you ticketed for?

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Thanks for the tip- have you used these guys yourself? What was your experience?
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

skipper20 wrote:

Bill in Seattle
Like if it was x issue you'd recommend this guy, but if it was y you'd recommend this other guy?

I got three tickets- pulled over for 'failure to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk', but they added on not wearing protective eyewear and not having an inspection sticker.

I dispute all three, but particularly the sticker riles me- My buddy is a restricted 50cc class B- and in NY state the inspection is NOT required. I just couldn't find the right designation on the title (and they didn't know it either) so they wrote the ticket and told me to bring proof to court. I found it later (it's "LMB").
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

jasong222 wrote:
skipper20 wrote:

Bill in Seattle
Like if it was x issue you'd recommend this guy, but if it was y you'd recommend this other guy?

I got three tickets- pulled over for 'failure to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk', but they added on not wearing protective eyewear and not having an inspection sticker.

I dispute all three, but particularly the sticker riles me- My buddy is a restricted 50cc class B- and in NY state the inspection is NOT required. I just couldn't find the right designation on the title (and they didn't know it either) so they wrote the ticket and told me to bring proof to court. I found it later (it's "LMB").
Sounds like you've got the inspection thing beat but the other 2, failure to yield to a pedestrian and lack of proper eye wear, are most likely stacked against you attorney or not. If it were me, I'd pay the ticket and learn from the experience. Not yielding to a pedestrian? Unless you have a witness that says otherwise, you're going to go down on that one.

Bill in Seattle
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

And not wearing protective eyewear? Seems like you either were or you weren't. Or is the question whether the eyewear you were wearing was protective?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Well, as a former NYC resident who frequently drove in the 5 boroughs, you sometimes have to take that "failure to yield" stuff with a grain of salt. While the law says that you have to yield, pedestrians frequently, and I mean FREQUENTLY, use that as an excuse to abandon all responsibility for their own safety. For example, dashing into crosswalks without looking, or just as the light turns against them. There's a lot of gray area.

As to the other two "offenses", they sound like "piling on" and "quota-filling" to me. And I'm not a cop-hater, just a realist who commuted in the NYC environs for many years.

All that said, your chances of getting a full pass are next to nil. You can probably get some of the points shaved, but it doesn't depend on your choice of attorney as much as it does upon whether the city's attorney got up on the wrong side of the bed or not.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Thanks to all for the interest.

Respectfully- I'm here for recommendations for traffic lawyers in Brooklyn.

Again, no disrespect, but I'm not here to decide what to do, how to take it or to suss my case out in 'the court of public opinion'.

I suppose if someone really want to discuss things they could pm me offline. But again, my goal here is legal representation recommendations. For Brooklyn.

If anyone had a lawyer they could recommend, I'd love to hear them.

Best to all-

-J
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

OK, fair enough.

Are you an AAA or AMA member? If so, maybe they have a list of attorneys that specialize in traffic matters. Or perhaps the NYS bar association?
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

charlie55 wrote:OK, fair enough.

Are you an AAA or AMA member? If so, maybe they have a list of attorneys that specialize in traffic matters. Or perhaps the NYS bar association?
I'm not, but I can probably find people who are. That's a decent idea, but also just kinda along the idea of just googling around.

Ideally, someone will pop up who'll say "Yeah, I used xyzLawyer a couple times and they were great."

Not sure why there aren't that many people..... (here and on other forums I'm looking at.... )
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....