2009 Buddy Pamplona 150cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MillesOnWheels

2009 Buddy Pamplona 150cc

Post by MillesOnWheels »

I am considering purchasing a 2009 Buddy loaded with 5,000 miles. The price is $1650 and is in near perfect condition minus a scratch on the front. I wanted to see if others in the forum thought this was a fair price. I have never owned a scooter and would be using this for commuting to work and riding with my partner to social outings around town. I have read a lot of great reviews about the buddy but am hesitant to purchase a 12 year old scooter....

Would love to hear your thoughts!
scootERIK

Re: 2009 Buddy Pamplona 150cc

Post by scootERIK »

Seems a little high unless it is completely up to date on maintenance, at least in my opinion.

A 2009 with 5,000 is that isn't up to date on maintenance is going to cost you a lot of money in a short period of time. The CVT belt most likely is original and will need to be changed by 8,000 miles. It will probably need the brake fluid replaced. The tires are likely over 5 years old. A lot of the other rubber parts can dry out and need replacing. It is common on the 2009 for the stator to go bad and it is an expensive repair if you can't do it yourself. I would also want to know when was the last time the valves were adjusted.

Personally would keep my eye out for a newer Buddy 125.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Ask for maintenance records. Scooter should have had 3 engine oil changes, at least 1 gear oil change and a valve check at 4,000. If your brake fluid is original, it is way past due for a flush and bleed. You are coming up on a belt and roller service. Scooter prices have really gone up since the start of the Pandemic. If the scooter has been well cared for, I'd say it is a decent deal. Is it private party or dealer? Put your location in your signature, so we know where you are.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
MillesOnWheels

Post by MillesOnWheels »

Thank you both for the quick replies! I am in OKC. He is a private owner and he said they have been stored inside. I’m going to test drive today so I will ask about maintenance. Thanks!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My 2008 Buddy 150 St Tropez with 19K miles has been drop dead reliable so far. I bought it used at around 8K miles so I don't know it's entire history. The only things I've changed so far is the oil filter and oil, two sets of tires, and battery. I did flush the front brake fluid, adjust the valves, and I'm about to change the front brake pads. I probably should check the belt and rollers too.
The asking price, IMO, isn't horrible if it's as clean as you describe, but I'd try to talk the seller down to $1500 if you can. It would be a better deal then.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

About 1.5 years ago I purchased my first scooter, a 2009 Buddy Italia 150. It had 1500 miles on it, in great shape, and ran well. Now it has 4600 miles and has been rock solid. I didn't know the maintenance history when I bought it, but with only 1500 miles on it, didn't think it needed much other than a new battery. The maintenance that I have performed so far is a few oil changes, a gear oil change, and new tires. I know that I need to bleed the brake fluid and check the valves soon. One item that does need addressing is replacing the bystarter component. It's hard to start when cold. Overall I have been happy with it. :D

For a price point of reference, I paid $950.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Another point of reference, I paid $800 for a well-maintained 5k mile Buddy 150 1 year ago. Maybe I should sell mine if it's worth so much!
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

I have the same Scooter that I bought more than 8 years ago for that price. The scooter has been unbelievably reliable, had no major issue. Although I do maintain it as recommended. I do think the price is a bit high for how old it is. But either way, great scooter.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

MilesOnWheels,.. please take a second and update your profile to show your location as OKC. Price depends on location, and we shouldn't have to read through all the replies to see where you live. A fair price for that 2009 Pamplona in Florida would be $1,000.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

You pay retail for a scoot, you get (and should expect) retail service. If your local scooter dealer is sketch, you are far better off paying for a used scooter you like and DIYing or finding an independent shop you trust.

I got into scooters because my wife, a decade or so ago, wanted a small scooter to get back and forth to work. I bought a near-new scoot and had it taken to a "authorized dealer" for work. It sat there for 4 months. I know now it needed a simple ECU reset or replacement... and I was being played. The "authorized dealer" went out of business a few months later.

Learn. Ride. Wrench. You'll be so much better off.
tenders

Post by tenders »

vintagegarage wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:07 pm A fair price for that 2009 Pamplona in Florida would be $1,000.
I'd have agreed with that in February 2020. Maybe you can get it for that now, but I'd estimate increasing that price 25%.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

tenders wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:36 am
vintagegarage wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:07 pm A fair price for that 2009 Pamplona in Florida would be $1,000.
I'd have agreed with that in February 2020. Maybe you can get it for that now, but I'd estimate increasing that price 25%.
This time of year is great- people treat scooters like yard equipment and when they don't start immediately, they become disenchanted with the whole concept and put them on Craigslist/letgo/offerup/FB for far less that they're worth.