Must haves under the seat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

Must haves under the seat

Post by jijifer »

Hey, it’s been awhile. I am having memories like dreams about what I kept under my seat.

It comes with that screwdriver thingy. I have a tire gauge. I have an adjustable crescent wrench because, already, the mirror comes lose every other time. I may just keep fixed crescent - the mirror needs a 15mm - do we know what other bolts come lose and their size?

I have a small towel for wiping it down if condensation...

What am I forgetting to keep under there for emergencies?

Thanks in advance for helping me think through it!
eliu01

Re: Must haves under the seat

Post by eliu01 »

A mailing label pouch (e.g. from FedEx or UPS) stuck to the side of the pet compartment to hold your documents.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Put some blue thread locking compound on your mirror threads before screwing it in. Shouldn't come loose again.

How about a tire plug repair kit with a Co2 cartridge in case you get a flat?

Extra face masks.

If you have a rear rack then a couple of bungee cords would be good.

I keep a pair of glove liners and a balaclava under my seat in case it gets really cold.

I used to carry a small aluminum container with a screw on cap in case I run out of gas and have to hoof it to the nearest gas station. I just try to be extra careful nowadays to not run out of gas.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have big and small versions of many kits to carry on the scooter depending on the ride, distance, etc. The bare essential tools, the extras (more sockets, wire strippers), and the full “change a belt in a parking lot” kit with torque wrench, full socket set, other large wrenches and such. The day outing first aid kit and the group ride into canyons first aid kit. And so on.

IKEA makes some pouches that are really good for this stuff and sturdy. Mine last several years!

Essential (in my opinion):
I always have a first aid kit with me. I’ve probably used it for others more than myself but have had to restock it many times. You can buy decent pre-assembled kits for fairly cheap. Basically, supplies to deal with abrasions, antiseptics and pain relievers, cold pack, and first aid instruction booklet.

Small flashlights. Not just if something happens at night, but useful for looking under scoot and at engine during day. I always have one small tactical light and small Nebo Larry, which has magnets so can be places on the frame if you need your hands.

Small tool kit. What comes in the Hooligan tool kit? Most common wrench sizes for scooters are probably 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm. But the stock kits usually come with combo wrenches to cover the essentials, a wrench to adjust shocks, combo screwdriver. Some electrical tape, needle nose pliers, zip ties, all good.

Less essenital:
Tire plug kit. Since you have roadside assistance and such,may not be necessary for most riding. The ones with CO2 cartridges are much more convenient. If you have an old tire, good to practice placing a plug just to know how and what it takes. I’ve done this on the side of a highway. Not fun.

Battery chargers. I have a jump charger that will start a scoot. Especially useful for Hooligan and others with no kickstart. I also carry phone chargers almost all of the time.

A pen or Sharpie, small memo pad, bit of masking or duct tape. Good for leaving notes or if you need to handwrite directions for some reason.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Bourbon. Calms the nerves after you narrowly avoid death by cager.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
tenders

Post by tenders »

Does no good under the seat - you have to stop and dismount to get it out.*

A bottle of Elijah Craig will fit right into the cubby for rapid access. Suggest wrapping with duct tape first to obscure the label. Not compatible with Gen-U-Bin, however.

======================
*Did you know you don’t have to turn the engine off to pop the seat with the key in the ignition? Just press the key in and turn counterclockwise - the engine will continue to run.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

A couple more things other than tools that I like to carry.

A bottle of water or more. It's always good to have some extra water especially when it's really hot out.

Snacks. You never know when you might breakdown or have to walk for help. I usually have some snacks under my seat but my main supply is in my coat pockets

A couple of dollars and some loose change, at least a few quarters. The couple of dollars just incase you forget your wallet and need some gas, food, drink. The change is nice to have if you need to use the air compressor at the gas station.

A pair of clear safety glasses, the cheaper the better(incase you loan them out and they don't get returned.) Nice to have if you end up out after sunset. Also, good to have for group rides since most people don't think to bring clears even on rides that start at 7pm.

Pre-moistened towelettes like Wet Wipes. I like the individually wrapped ones. Good for cleaning yourself up after repairs or spills. I keep some nitrile gloves under the seat too. Plus, I will carry some paper towels too.

I also carry .2 gallons of gas in a fuel bottle that is strapped to the rear rack.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

wheelbender6 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 am Bourbon. Calms the nerves after you narrowly avoid death by cager.
Sounds like Bruce Springsteen and I think alike. He was riding his motorcycle at the time.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/entertai ... index.html
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
enzomatik

Post by enzomatik »

First aid kit
mini maglite
Leatherman Wave
Scooter Cover
Disk Lock
moleskin with maintenance log and documents stuffed in it and small pen attached
microfiber terry cloth
a few sockets w/ driver
a reusable grocery bag
packable cycling windbreaker to put under my jacket if it gets cold.
My Li emergency starter until my new battery arrives.