Top Case Max size?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BennyBen

Top Case Max size?

Post by BennyBen »

Hi guys,
I have a Buddy 50. I have finally got a rear rack. Now I am trying to find a top case. I am looking for the biggest I could fit as I could keep it once I get a bigger (read much bigger scooter). I am getting my motorcycle license to eventually get a maxi scooter. Here in Quebec, Canada we need to get a training before getting our motorcycle license.

I was thinking something like this : https://www.givi.it/givi-products/cases/monolock/b34
is it too big? Or should I get a smaller like a 30l ?

Please let me know.

thanks
DeeDee

Re: Top Case Max size?

Post by DeeDee »

I have a Kappa 35 Litre that I originally bought for my 170i. It will hold a full faced and a half helmet. I thought the proportion worked fine on the Buddy. I had it on my Vespa GT200 for 2 years, and it has been on the back of my Burgman 400 for the last 3. I think the size works good on all 3 of these bikes. I added a backrest pad on it for the Burgman. I bought the Burgman, so my wife could come out with me.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

DeeDee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm I have a Kappa 35 Litre that I originally bought for my 170i. It will hold a full faced and a half helmet. I thought the proportion worked fine on the Buddy. I had it on my Vespa GT200 for 2 years, and it has been on the back of my Burgman 400 for the last 3. I think the size works good on all 3 of these bikes. I added a backrest pad on it for the Burgman. I bought the Burgman, so my wife could come out with me.
This answer my questions.

I am thinking to get a 600cc or similar. Like the Burgman 650cc, BMW C650Gt or the T Max. But the TMax is hard to find in our part of the world. The bemmer might be expensive to maintian. I might get the the Burgman. It all depends what on the market when I'm there. I want ABS, I would like heated seat and heated grip and ACS would be nice too. I want a big one to be able to go in long trip with my wife.

thanks again :)
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Too bad Kymco corporate and dealer suppost is what it is. This looks like a great alternative to the TMax.
Attachments
ak550.png
ak550.png (138.34 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
tenders

Post by tenders »

There is another concern about larger top cases: what they do to the rack they’re mounted on in the event of a tipover. Those racks aren’t particularly strong and I’ve seen two Buddies with big top cases and broken rack mounts. A large case puts a lot of leverage on those bolts, and the little caps into the frame that the bolts screw into, and something seems to give pretty easily.

So I stop at 30L, and bungee something else on temporarily (removing the 30L case), if I need larger capacity for a run or two.
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

DeeDee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:40 pm Too bad Kymco corporate and dealer suppost is what it is. This looks like a great alternative to the TMax.
Oh I know, Kymco on the used market aren't that model. And it looks like the offer for large scooter is changing. Suzuki aren't putting the 2021 650cc and BMW are putting their 650GT either. Many 400cc and lower are out there. I do not think 400CC would suffice for long trip.
BennyBen

Post by BennyBen »

tenders wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:48 am There is another concern about larger top cases: what they do to the rack they’re mounted on in the event of a tipover. Those racks aren’t particularly strong and I’ve seen two Buddies with big top cases and broken rack mounts. A large case puts a lot of leverage on those bolts, and the little caps into the frame that the bolts screw into, and something seems to give pretty easily.

So I stop at 30L, and bungee something else on temporarily (removing the 30L case), if I need larger capacity for a run or two.
Thank you it is noted.
Clydeo

Post by Clydeo »

I don’t think you’d have any trouble touring two up on a 400cc scooter. In fact I have seriously thought about getting a Burgman 200 for touring with my wife. We toured together for years on a Suzuki 250, and discovered that the most important part of a touring bike is the sitting position. A large, comfortable seat and sufficient leg room are far more important that outright power!
It comes down to how you ride. Staying in the slow lane, we were able to easily keep up with traffic on the 250. We kept our mileage down to about 300 miles a day, and took plenty of breaks.
If you want to do some high speed long distance riding two up in relative comfort, I think you’ll be better served by a regular motorcycle. Our Vulcan 900 serves that function well for us (after adding a Mustang seat).
Suzuki TUx 250, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT, Genuine Buddy 50 “Brit”
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

tenders wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:48 am There is another concern about larger top cases: what they do to the rack they’re mounted on in the event of a tipover. Those racks aren’t particularly strong and I’ve seen two Buddies with big top cases and broken rack mounts. A large case puts a lot of leverage on those bolts, and the little caps into the frame that the bolts screw into, and something seems to give pretty easily.

I forgot about how crappy the Prima rear rack is for the Buddy. They want to break at the bend and the center hole of the cross bar. I had L brackets welded on my bends and a thick flat washer welded across the mounting hole. Not to mention the mounting points on the Buddy frame for the rear rack are notoriously prone to failure. Weakest link I've found on an otherwise great bike.