1st Oil Change on a 2021 Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ipso_no_facto

1st Oil Change on a 2021 Buddy Kick

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

So, my first 500 mile oil change is due and I thought Id combine my first oil change with putting on a new rear rack and a top-case. The only problem, my dealership is 95 miles up a mountain. Something that just didn't occur to me at the time of purchase and wouldn't have mattered anyways, its still the closest Genuine Scooter dealership near me. Just getting it to the location is going to cost me close to 300 dollars both ways and that's if I do it myself with U-Haul. My question is this, Can I, with some fairly adept auto-mechanical knowledge do all these things myself? First Oil change, Rear-rack and Top case install? I've seen some videos online of Buddy 125 oil changes and need to know if there is that much difference in doing one on a KICK instead. Also, besides the obvious chunks of metal coming out, is there anything else that I need to be aware of, especially on the first change? I think removing the trunk liner and installing rear rack and top-case will require a lot less "performance assessment", but if I can do all 3 things myself and save the just getting it there cost I thought maybe I would. I looked on the Tech pages on this board and the oil change file is quite old, missing pictures and I have no idea what Genuine Scooter product it's really for. And, if it were intended for one kind could it be said it was the same for the KICK? That's my pack of questions. Mostly its an oil change question with a rear-rack top-case twist in a glass full of are oil changes the same throughout the Buddy line kind of inquiry?
scootERIK

Re: 1st Oil Change on a 2021 Buddy Kick

Post by scootERIK »

The 500 mile service is not just an oil change. There are a bunch of things that are supposed to be checked like the valves. If you don't follow the recommended servicing you might void your warranty. So if you want to keep it under warranty you might want to check with Genuine to see what service has to be done to not void it.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Okay, I'm just curious. How did you get it home from the dealer?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I rent Uhaul pick-ups for $125 for 250 miles. As soon as I can find a stealth receiver hitch for my car I can use a small trailer. Now, onto your question. I usually pay the shop to do the first service and do the rest of them myself. It's not hard to do, and if you do it yourself you know it was done right.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

eggsalad wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:27 am Okay, I'm just curious. How did you get it home from the dealer?
As part of the deal, I told them I would need it delivered. Its just not something they're interested in doing regularly.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

scootERIK wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:51 pm The 500 mile service is not just an oil change. There are a bunch of things that are supposed to be checked like the valves. If you don't follow the recommended servicing you might void your warranty. So if you want to keep it under warranty you might want to check with Genuine to see what service has to be done to not void it.
Yeah, thanks, fortunately my dealer is a good guy, he's just got a business run and doesn't have the time to be a delivery service too. But, he has given me some instruction as well as a list of all the required parts, O-rings, washers, oil, gear oil etc.. He doesn't seem to think the first oil change requires any valve work.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The first service on the Kick does require that the valves be checked (cold). See pg. 32 of the Kick manual. If they are out of spec they need to be adjusted. My dealer did that inspection during first service. Why would your dealer think that it was not required?
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
tenders

Post by tenders »

On transporting the scoot: there are lots of ways to get a 150cc from Point A to Point B inexpensively, and one of those is in the back of a minivan. Take the mirrors off, and the windscreen and top case if equipped, and with a little tilting and padding here and there it’ll fit easily after being rolled up an 8’ 2x12.

I’ve moved three Buddy 50s several hundred miles this way (one at a time), a Vespa 150, and an Aprilia 460 (which was tight, I’ll admit). Your Kick will definitely fit.