So I'm doing a service on a Buddy 50.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

So I'm doing a service on a Buddy 50.

Post by sc00ter »

This is Pinky, the Buddy 50 I started a thread on awhile back. It now has 12,000 miles on it. That may not seem like high miles, but on a 50cc it seems higher to me. I found this weird but I don't fully know the riding habits of the owner. The variator was worn out with bad stepping. But I discovered the OEM variator is cheap, so I ordered a new one. That poor little scooter should have been totaled after it was hit! It pulls to the right really bad but the bars are twisted to the left! This is the same owner who let the lady who hit her leave the scene because she was nice. I hope the owner of Pinky learned a lesson.
sc00ter

Re: So I'm doing a service on a Buddy 50.

Post by sc00ter »

Well, no more service on Pinky. It got totaled! Again, someone ran a stop sign and finished Pinky off. The owner is okay minus some serious bumps and bruises. But the car that hit Pinky didn't have insurance. So as a friendly heads-up to 50cc riders in a state that do not require insurance, GET INSURANCE! In Virginia you can ride a moped (50cc) without insurance. But you can still get insurance for a moped. The insurance is based on the VIN number and you can select what coverage you want. I had full coverage on my 1998 Yamaha Zuma for $60 a YEAR. With an agreed value of $2000. The agreed value was a bit tricky but I just wanted to be able to replace it with a used Rough House should anything happen to it. A moped for me is a hobby toy.

So again, get insurance! Pinkys owner cannot afford to replace the scooter, the driver got away with hitting a scooter rider and even if Pinkys owner gets restitution it could take forever to get reimbursed. The driver who hit Pinky got cited for driving with no license. There is a court case coming as well, but having insurance would have made this much less painful.
Racer50

Post by Racer50 »

Thats a drag, I hope the Pinky rider didnt get injured. Pinky should show up to the court hearing and get a lein put on the car's title.
2022 Roughhouse 50
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

She (Pinkys owner) cannot afford an attorney on her own, so she got one of those TV attorneys that go after CASH, CASH. CASH! But the 'We don't get paid if you don't get paid' attorneys go after insurance policies, and if the person who hit her doesn't have (or provide) insurance she's outta luck. I told her to go to the court date but I have a bad feeling she wont go. I still can't believe someone hit her and no insurance information was asked for. I told her to do 3 things:

Call the responding officers boss and ask why insurance info wasn't obtained, and if no proof of insurance was provided then why was the driver of the car allowed to just drive away.

Call our DMV headquarters and ask why proof of insurance isn't required at the scene of a accident. Pinkys owner has the cars information, maybe DMV can audit the owner of the car for proof of insurance?

Call our local news channels investigative division and see if they will do a story on the high number of uninsured drivers and why our DMV isn't doing their job.

Rock the boat! Make noise! Get SOMETHING done so other motorcycle riders have safer streets to ride on. She got hit, the driver got cited and just got to drive away with no valid drivers license, no proof of insurance and the only ticket the driver got was operating a motor vehicle without a license and failure to stop for the right away.

If it was me I'd just pay the deductible and let my insurance company handle it. So if you live in a state that doesn't require insurance on a moped you can still get it.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I think the owner of Pinky is gonna just let the whole thing go. Shes letting the lady who hit her just walk away. Pinkys owner won't call the officers captain and find out why the driver got to just drive away. Not gonna call the DMV headquarters and get a 'proof of insurance audit' issued and finally, no bothering the local news to consider a story on uninsured drivers. Ignore your problems and they just go away I guess.