EICMA 2021 News

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

EICMA 2021 News

Post by jrsjr »

Okay, the first scooter-related news from EICMA is an Aprilia ADV scooter with 200cc and 125cc.

Everybody has an ADV scooter, right? But this one has an interesting design feature. The traditional "starter" motor is replaced by a brushless job located on the end of the crankshaft and the scoot is designed to stop and start at stoplights and such to conserve fuel.
Attachments
Aprilia SR GT-125.jpg
Aprilia SR GT-125.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
Mike1nw

Re: EICMA 2021 News

Post by Mike1nw »

I wonder about the cost/benefit ratio of saving a small amount of fuel vs. earlier starter failure (for cars too).
My 4 cyl. Saturn used 0.3 gallons per hour idling, it was 1.9 liters.
My Burgman 400 prob about 0.07 gal/hr? Buddy 125 maybe 0.03 gal/hr?

Just thinking here.
Although I do like the outboard rear springs, as opposed to the monkey-motion linkages etc on my Burgman.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Did you see that Honda ADV 300? It lists for more than a new Africa Twin. Good luck with that, Honda.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

wheelbender6 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm Did you see that Honda ADV 300? It lists for more than a new Africa Twin. Good luck with that, Honda.
oo, you've triggered a rant. Honda builds most of their small-bore bikes in Thailand these days, but they charge as though you're buying a Japanese-built bike. Quite frankly, I have more faith in our Taiwan-built bikes than in Thai quality.

And (at least around these parts) Honda Powersports dealers are awful rip-off artists who seem to not really want to stock or sell small-bore bikes. They pile fees upon fees and there's no getting out of them.

There's a new Honda out - I've forgotten the name - but it's sort of a mini-Grom with a CVT and a 110cc(?) engine. The MSRP is $1807. Seems cheap, right? But the dealers need a $400 "documentation fee" and a $400 "assembly fee". So you wind up paying 40% *OVER* MSRP and that's before tax. All of a sudden this $1800 bile is close to $3k out the door and it no longer seems like such a good deal.

I'd never even entertain the thought of buying a brand new small-bore Honda.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I stand corrected. Its a Honda 350 ADV. Still costs more than a 900cc+ Africa Twin.
https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-pr ... dv350.html
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I wisecracked that every company has an ADV scooter so SYM heard me and presented their ADV scoot, the Joyride 300. I think the exposed springs on the front forks are intended to make it look beefy and it pretty much worked on me.
Attachments
SYM Joyride 300.jpg
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

jrsjr wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:57 pmEverybody has an ADV scooter, right?
If Genuine makes a Buddy ADV I will be first in line. Even if it was just a little more suspension travel and some panniers for luggage.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

NIU (imported and marketed by Genuine Scooter in the US), has offered up several new electric offerings at EICMA. More speed and more range than previous models. These scooters are getting more interesting all the time.

https://electrek.co/2021/11/23/niu-laun ... -and-more/
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

wheelbender6 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm I stand corrected. Its a Honda 350 ADV. Still costs more than a 900cc+ Africa Twin.
https://www.motorcycle.com/new-model-pr ... dv350.html
Not to argue, but what you've done there is convert the UK price of a bike (that isn't imported into the USA) into USD and then compare that to the USA price of a bike that is imported to the USA.

The UK price of that scooter is 10,949 pounds.
The UK price of the motorcycle that you compared it to (without luggage) is 13,049 pounds.

That scooter is hella expensive (and better equipped than the base Africa Twin), but it is not more expensive in UK currency in the UK market.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Dooglas wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:10 pm NIU (imported and marketed by Genuine Scooter in the US), has offered up several new electric offerings at EICMA. More speed and more range than previous models. These scooters are getting more interesting all the time.

https://electrek.co/2021/11/23/niu-laun ... -and-more/
My next scooter will definitely NOT be gasoline-powered. If the NIU makes it to the US, I will buy one if I could find a dealer. My Genuine dealer doesn't carry NIU, and the nearest dealer is in San Diego :(
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

eggsalad wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:07 pm
wheelbender6 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 pm Did you see that Honda ADV 300? It lists for more than a new Africa Twin. Good luck with that, Honda.
oo, you've triggered a rant. Honda builds most of their small-bore bikes in Thailand these days, but they charge as though you're buying a Japanese-built bike. Quite frankly, I have more faith in our Taiwan-built bikes than in Thai quality.

And (at least around these parts) Honda Powersports dealers are awful rip-off artists who seem to not really want to stock or sell small-bore bikes. They pile fees upon fees and there's no getting out of them.

There's a new Honda out - I've forgotten the name - but it's sort of a mini-Grom with a CVT and a 110cc(?) engine. The MSRP is $1807. Seems cheap, right? But the dealers need a $400 "documentation fee" and a $400 "assembly fee". So you wind up paying 40% *OVER* MSRP and that's before tax. All of a sudden this $1800 bile is close to $3k out the door and it no longer seems like such a good deal.

I'd never even entertain the thought of buying a brand new small-bore Honda.
I just sat thru a 20 min homemade YouTube video on the bike you speak of. Here in the US it's called the Navi and at 110cc I wasn't all that interested in it as it is. My Buddy Kick is pretty quick at 125cc, but all I want to do is go faster, so it was never a real option for me. I just kept hearing $1800 and how it might still be a good bike for some, because that's w/out a doubt a damn good price point. better than almost half of their 50cc Metro. Very glad I didn't wait for this Navi to come out before I bought the Kick. I remember hearing people talk about how Honda's small-bore bikes were Japanese in name only.

When I first started looking for a bike, I of course fell back on my youthful memories of Sprees, Gyros and Aeros - none of which are still being made of course. I almost fell for the Honda name on a $3200 Metro, but I am pretty sure I heard that all the small bikes were being made in Thailand on a Honda on top of it too. Now I hear it from you too, just so glad I didn't get burned by a once decent brand. The extra fees that sit on top of that $1800 are practically bait and switch. I wonder if the PCX @150cc is also not made in Japan.