Any ideas on what else to try on a Buddy 50? Did full carb clean and new plug. Loses Power after

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CountChocula

Any ideas on what else to try on a Buddy 50? Did full carb clean and new plug. Loses Power after

Post by CountChocula »

Hi
So it's a 2013 Buddy 50cc with 1000 miles.
Ethanol gas sat and gummed up.
Drained old gas, did full carb clean and new plug and new air filter.
Starts easily now.
Idles great.
Has enough power to start accelerating but anything after that it loses power at about 1/4 throttle. Will die if floored.
Plug was a bit carbon-y. Tried old plug. Same.

What to try next?

Thanks!
sc00ter

Re: Any ideas on what else to try on a Buddy 50? Did full carb clean and new plug. Loses Power after

Post by sc00ter »

How deep did you go into cleaning the carb? Pulled the jets? Ultra Sonic cleaned everything? Check the atomizer for blockage? Ensure the float height is set correctly?
CountChocula

Re: Any ideas on what else to try on a Buddy 50? Did full carb clean and new plug. Loses Power after

Post by CountChocula »

sc00ter wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:20 am How deep did you go into cleaning the carb? Pulled the jets? Ultra Sonic cleaned everything? Check the atomizer for blockage? Ensure the float height is set correctly?
Hi thanks for the reply. I paid a motorcycle mechanic I've used before and trust. He did not ultrasonic. He was saying there are usually only two jets that get clogged. One was definitely clogged shut. He uses carb cleaner and copper wire. He's pretty proficient with carbs and works on all bikes including motorcycles so I can't CONFIRM the atomizer and the float height were set correctly but He spent other time looking at other things and seemed confident that the carb was 100% working properly.

He was saying it seemed like rings or piston were bad.

Any input would be appreciated although I know I'm not giving much info here :headache:

Thanks!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Wire to clear jets..... No. At least he said copper wire. I use a plastic jet cleaning kit. Anyways. You can do a compression check for the rings but I almost 100% think it's still a carb issue. Did you just take him the carb or the whole scooter? I would assume he did a test ride before giving it back if you dropped off the whole scooter.

Ethanol is the enemy of small carburetor engines. Usually, if the jets are gummed up an ultra sonic cleaner soak will clear out the atomizer and related passageways found in a carb. And if you have to remove the float bowl for any reason, check the float height and overall condition.

Good luck getting it sorted!