Grinding sound after cover reinstalled

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DENscooterguy

Grinding sound after cover reinstalled

Post by DENscooterguy »

Doing some long overdue maintenance, replaced the rollers, and the belt. When I put the cover back on to get it started again with the kick start I hear this grinding sound that I don't hear when the cover is off. Is there a trick to getting everything aligned right? I got the cover seated just fine and all the bolts back in place as well, so I figured I was good. Seems not so much.
DENscooterguy

Re: Grinding sound after cover reinstalled

Post by DENscooterguy »

For reference, this is what I am hearing. It's something with the kick start not engaging.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ePmksA6aGuKxGuYq8
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

There a chance you didn't get the kickstart ratchet on far enough onto the splines. If this is the problem you have to turn the kickstart ratchet until it locks into the splines then install the washer and nut. When assembling the variator you want the belt as far in on the clutch as you can get it by hand so the belt doesn't keep the variator for going together.

No matter what the problem is I would recommend taking the variator completely apart and reassembling just to be sure that everything is where it should be, it doesn't take much to get a roller out of place.

The kickstart ratchet-
DENscooterguy

Post by DENscooterguy »

Thank you. I did some fiddling around with that and I got it so it starts from the kick and does not sound like it's rattling. I think I need new gas and some fuel cleaner as it won't idle now. It was idling just fine last year so I don't think I need to mess with the idle screw.