[SOLVED] Buddy 170i - Stalling at Idle, Trouble Starting, Running Rich

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

soggyjay

[SOLVED] Buddy 170i - Stalling at Idle, Trouble Starting, Running Rich

Post by soggyjay »

Hey guys! Have owned a number of scoots over the years (Aprilia, Vespa, now a Genuine) and recently bought a 2013 Genuine Buddy 170i off a guy on Craigslist. It ran great for the first couple weeks, then I started having some issues with stalling at red lights and rough idling. I put some seafoam in the tank hoping fuel system just need to be claned which helped for a week or so then the problems came right back, and last night it stalled a couple times within a minute and then would not start back up. So just behaving very erratically in general.

Woke up this morning and tried starting it again, but no luck. It cranks, I can hear the fuel pump start and I recently put a brand new battery in so don't believe any of those are the issue. When I pulled the spark plug I noticed it was black and wet. So it seems like the engine is running rich. I wiped off the plug, let it sit for an hour or so to let the fuel evaporate, and had some signs of life but wasn't able to get it to start.

Any other tests I can do? Should I reset ECU? Adjust something on the carb? Replace fuel pump/fuel injectors? Not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any advice or thoughts!
Attachments
IMG-7794.JPG
Last edited by soggyjay on Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soggyjay

Re: Buddy 170i - Stalling at Idle, Trouble Starting, Running Rich

Post by soggyjay »

Update - Took off the seat and noticed that the MAP sensor (circled in red) was just dangling. Comparing to the picture in the manual, I realize that little metal piece loose in the seat from the previous owner was used to ensure it stayed in place, he must have lost the bolt. Will go get a bolt to hold it in place but tried starting it while holding that down and still no luck. Is it possible something in the engine was damaged with this being disconnected?
Attachments
IMG-7795.JPG
IMG-7795.JPG (100.25 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
soggyjay

Re: [SOLVED] Buddy 170i - Stalling at Idle, Trouble Starting, Running Rich

Post by soggyjay »

Final update... I'm an idiot. Tried getting it going with some starter fluid and nothing happened. Decided to replace the spark plug just in case... and that did the trick.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Happened to me after I spent afew weekends cleaning my carb. When I tried to crank it, it spun like a washing machine but would not start.
I checked for a spark after testing everything else. My plug had gone bad somewhere during the carb cleaning process. !estupido!
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

An aside comment about carb cleaning on a Buddy 170i - there isn't a carb.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The signature line below my post shows that I ride a Buddy 125 (with a carb)!
the signature line may not be visible from your phone.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:42 pm The signature line below my post shows that I ride a Buddy 125 (with a carb)!
And the subject line on this thread says the discussion is about a Buddy 170i (without a carb).
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Spark plugs work the same on both.
If this is all we have to talk about, I can see why forum traffic is way down.