Hooligan 170i - has any short rider here tried it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

w6euh

Hooligan 170i - has any short rider here tried it?

Post by w6euh »

Hi,
I used to own a Buddy 170i, and I really enjoyed riding it. But it's gone now.
I'm now starting to shop for a new scooter. As I'm vertically challenged (5'2", 140lb), a new Buddy with low profile seat, exactly like my previous one, would be the perfect fit. But I was looking for something with slightly bigger wheels, which has made me consider the Hooligan 170i.
(I did ask, on a different thread, about alternative tires for the Buddy, which is also an option I wanted to look into. Suggestions on that particular subject are welcome to this other thread http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=380529)

Now, unfortunately, none of my local (or even not-so-local) dealers has the Hooligan in stock, and AFAIK nobody in town owns one I can try, either.

So, I would really like to know opinions from other vertically challenged riders who may have had the chance to compare these two beauties, the Hooligan and the Buddy.

Thanks in advance.
Peace and ride safe!

Scootergoddess

Re: Hooligan 170i - has any short rider here tried it?

Post by Scootergoddess »

I am 5’3” and Hooligan is too tall for me. I cannot even get my feet down flat from my Buddy, only my toes. I cannot wait for my Buddy Kick to arrive because it is lower.
w6euh

Post by w6euh »

Scootergoddess wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:37 pm I am 5’3” and Hooligan is too tall for me. I cannot even get my feet down flat from my Buddy, only my toes. I cannot wait for my Buddy Kick to arrive because it is lower.
Thank you, Scootergoddess!
That really helped me simplify my decision (disappointing, yes, but extremely helpful).

I can "safely" tip-toe on the Buddy with low profile seat, and flat foot on one side. For reference, I wear riding shoes, with regular soles. Currently looking for short riding boots with slightly thicker soles.

Anyway, I think that you might feel perfectly safe and comfortable on a Buddy with low profile seat. IMHO the low profile seat for the Buddy is much more ergonomic than the seat on the Kick, but that's just a personal preference. The Buddy is a couple of pounds lighter.
They are both really nice scooters and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!

Thanks again, ride safe!
Peace and ride safe!

Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

Thanks…. Glad to help.
I know riders who feel perfectly comfortable without getting both feet down at a stop… but not me. I made a horrible mistake many years ago and bought a Vespa without riding one first (had to order it) and it turned out to be much too tall for me to safely ride. I sold it after only 3 months. Just a personal preference, but i am short and thin and scooters are heavy so I like bring able to put both feet down and feel in control. Best advice i can offer anyone is do not buy a scooter you have not ridden first! Hope you find the perfect ride for your needs and wants! It can take some hunting.