Royal Alloy GT150 wobble when turning

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jakejakejake

Royal Alloy GT150 wobble when turning

Post by jakejakejake »

Hello, I have a Royal Alloy GT150 that wobbles when turning. If I am driving on a curvy road I do not notice any issues. When I am making a left turn from a stop the scooter wobbles as I turn through then stops wobbling as I straighten out. Same for right turns that I yield through. I did find one post about a blur having the same issues but its no longer available. I think they replaced the tires though they never mention if that was the cause. My local scooter shop currently wont look at it as they cant/wont get parts for it(trying to figure that out now) so hoping to get some kind of info or direction I could take myself or check out as this sounds like it might be costly just to look at. Thank you!!
350kmi

Re: Royal Alloy GT150 wobble when turning

Post by 350kmi »

I have had tires cause issues similar to what you are describing at low speeds. A couple times it was simply low tire pressure and once it was a bad tire that was a little out of round.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with scooters tires, but I have noticed that sometimes my car will have a bit of a wobble in the steering wheel if it sits for an extended number of days when the temperatures are below 35F. In the car's case it always goes away after a few miles and I believe it is caused by the tires develop flat spot from sitting and after some of movement and heat the flat spots to go away.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

When I test rode a Royal Alloy GP300 I noticed a little bounce/wiggle from the front tire in slow speed turns, roughly 0 mph up to 10 mph. I was the only person out of the five people who rode it who said anything so I figured it was just me. I mentioned it to the owner and he hadn't noticed it. At the time it felt like the front tire had too much pressure or the front shocks were too tight(too much preload.) I didn't do any further investigation since I figured it was just me. I also had a similar experience when test riding a Rattler 200. Again I figured it was just me since I am used to riding a Buddy 125 with soft shocks and medium to low air pressure in the tires.

If it was my scooter I would start by checking the tire pressure and then do some research to see what other riders are running(side note the Royal Alloy I rode has Pirelli Angels.) I would also have a look at the front suspension to make sure it is set properly(I believe I was the lightest test rider so there is a chance the one I was riding had too much preload for my weight.) I would also ride the scooter a bunch to see if the problem would go away once the shocks get used more and the tires starts to wear.

If you figure out what is causing the wobble let us know.
jakejakejake

Post by jakejakejake »

In this case it really seams like the tires were misshaped from the cold weather (if that is a thing). I did notice this wobble during times when it would normally be cold and had been freezing - but had warmed up enough for a ride. After the temperature stayed above 70ish consistently (as high as 90 some days) I took it out for another ride trying to recreate the wobble but never happened. This was just last week. So hopefully that is all it was and new tires are not yet needed. Thank you!!
tonelar

Post by tonelar »

sorry for the late reply, check the front axle (nut)
if it’s a little loose the front end will wobble