General Maintenance

Glossary, reference, tips, recommendations, editorializing and primers on scooters and riding

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

General Maintenance

Post by Lostmycage »

:arrow: <a href="forum9.html">Technical Library</a>

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?p=37705#37705">Scooter Tool List</a> (Thanks Corsair!)

:arrow: <a href="topic12556.html#162192">What's that hose hanging down on the left side of the scooter?! </a> (Hint: it's perfectly normal.)

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?t=10399&highlight=spark+p ... 8">Where's the Spark Plug?!</a>

:arrow: <a href="topic1375.html#16184">More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Motorcycle Oil</a> (Thanks POCPhil!)

:arrow: <a href=topic13716.html">Battery, Dead Battery, Charging and Tending</a> (Thanks POCPhil!)

:arrow: <a href="topic1298.html#14350">Fuel Additives</a> (Thanks POCPhil!)

:arrow: <a href="http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt2.htm">CVTs (automatic transmission) explained</a> (External Link to Howstuffworks.com)

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?p=138514#138514">Winterizing and/or Storing Your Scooter</a>

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?p=151886#151886">Maintenance intervals and SERVICE MANUALS</a>

Oil Changes :arrow: <a href="topic76.html#671">Buddy 125</a> (Thanks mlstephens!) (Buddy 150 is the same except the oil filter placement on cooler next to battery) and :arrow: <a href="topic5887.html#67846">Blur</a> Thanks illnoise and :arrow: <a href="http://failblog.org/">for the 2-strokes' oil changes</a> (External Link). See :arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?p=151886#151886">service manuals below</a> for changes (2-stroke gear oil for example) that have no member walk-throughs.

Valve adjustment :arrow: <a href="topic8312.html#101937">Method 1</a> (Thanks olhogrider!) or :arrow: <a href="topic5671.html#65196">Method 2</a> (Thanks SCOOTERSOLDIER!)

:arrow: <a href="topic4153.html#46188">Adjusting the idle</a> (Thanks Ericalm!)

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?t=492&highlight=headlight#4998">06 Headlight Replacement</A> (Thanks ebcspace!)

:arrow: <a href="topic12239.html#158340">How do I check the brake fluid?!</a>

:arrow: <a href="topic14596.html">How to change the brake pads (Buddy 50cc)</a> (Thanks jasondavis48108)

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?p=162817#162709">Tire removal/replacement</a> More coming soon! ...Hopefully...

:arrow: <a href="viewtopic.php?t=7470&highlight=mirror#90320">My mirrors wont stay tight</a> (Thanks olhogrider!)
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:34 am, edited 14 times in total.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Winterizing your Scooter

Post by Lostmycage »

Winterizing your Scooter

I'm going on suggestions found throughout the thread as this is something I've not done personally. I'm semi-ridiculous and rode mine through the winter. The general consensus is the following:

(Optional) Some folks suggest changing the oil before storage, others suggest after storage. You're going to want fresh oil in the Spring and oil needs to be changed once used regardless of mileage because it breaks down. There's strong opinions on either side or the argument - just be aware that it should be addressed before or after storage.

1) Fill up the Gas tank with fresh fuel.

2) Treat with Sea Foam or Stabil or some other fuel stabilizer (Sea Foam usually gets the most recommendations).

3) Run the engine for 5-10 minutes with the treated gas.

4) With the engine off, drain the float bowl on the carb. :!: Be sure to re-tighten the drain screw

5) Remove the Battery and connect to a Trickle Charger (Battery Tender Jr. comes highly recommended).

6) If you have chrome on your bike, find a good metal polish (like Mother's Metal Polish) or silicone spray lubricant. The idea is to create a barrier between the metal and the air so there's not a rusted hunk where that shiny bit should be.

7) Give it a good cleaning, you're not going to be spending much time with it for a few months. Apply a light wax or protectorate. Some people like Lemon Pledge... but some people like jumping off of bridges - to each his own.

8)Stuff a rag in the Exhaust to keep out any winter nesters. Be sure to remove this when you go to start it up again.

9) Write a list of all the steps that you've taken so you know the exact state you left the bike in. Tuck it in the Pet carrier or tape it to the speedometer. :!: Be sure to note, if nothing else that you've got a rag tucked in your exhaust!

10a) If parked in a garage, throw a tarp, painter's plastic or a proper motorcycle cover over it and wait till spring.

10b) If no garage is available, find a good spot to secure it to with a decent lock and cover with a weather resistant motorcycle cover. Try not to store in a place that's prone to winds and make sure it's on solid level ground. Use the center stand. If the cover has eyelets, loop a lock or a bungee through it to cinch the cover on the scooter good and tight: a loose cover flapping in the wind will rub up against the paint and if excessive, there's a small chance it'll scuff the paint.

Walk away and wallow in self pitty :cry: for a little while then get on with your winter. Don't start the bike until you're going to be riding it regularly, unless you want to drain the float bowl again, as well as the other steps.

That should just about cover it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Maintenance intervals

Post by Lostmycage »

Maintenance intervals AND Service Manuals :!:

Here's a handy picture you can print out for reference, or see the pages listed in the service manuals below. This is taken from the GMax Service manual, but applies for the most part to all Genuine models except the Stella (as of July 09).

Buddy 50
See Pages 21-24 for the maintenance intervals.
Buddy 50 Service Manual

Buddy 125/150
See Pages 22-23 for the Maintenance intervals.
Buddy 125 Service Manual

Blur/GMax 150/125
See Page 16 for the Maintenance intervals.
Blur (G-Max) Service Manual

Stella
See Page 48 for the Maintenance intervals.
Stella Service Manual

Rough House/Black Cat/Rattler
See Pages 28-31 for the Maintenance intervals.
Rough House/Black Cat/Rattler Service Manual