So, how many miles do you have on your Stella 4T?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mgermano

Post by mgermano »

170 miles over about 4 weeks of ownership. Few kinks here-and-there (turn signal, choke) but overall I love my Stella.

I do look forward to the day she's fully broken in, and potentially has a top speed above the current 45mph (indicated).
vwgrl1999

Post by vwgrl1999 »

Pulling this thread from the depths!

I just turned over 3700 miles on my '12 4t yesterday, which I bought in April of this year.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I (fingers crossed) pick up my Yella Stella tomorrow from SF Scooter Centre. Hopefully I will be racking up the miles with you guys soon! :D
Crew

Post by Crew »

1500 miles in 5 weeks and been into the shop twice, once for its first service and once for an electrical problem. Went on a trip up the coast and lost all lights and the gauge. Turns out the wires in the steering column were rubbed through and shorted out. It took the shop two days to disassemble and fix the wiring which had no protective sheathing over the wire bundle.
The scooter is running like a Swiss watch with smooth powerful acceleration and my mileage check was 133mpg combined city(70%) and hyway(30%).

JohnThreeSixteen
neurosupply

Post by neurosupply »

Rather than start a whole new topic I just figured I'd chime in here. I've been lurking around this board for the past month or so while I waited for my Stella to be delivered to the local dealership (I am probably the first person in my area to own one). I just picked it up two days ago and have 40 miles on it. It's maybe a little too early to say too much, but so far this scooter has been a joy to ride. I love it! And this board has been a valuable resource in making my purchasing decision, so thank you all! Looking forward to hearing and sharing with you all the adventure of Stella ownership.

Cheers!
Tack One.

Post by Tack One. »

I'm at about 1600 kms which is 994 miles. I got it back in the spring, and ride it pretty often, but apparently a lot less distance than some of you.

usually just a few miles/km's here and there to pick stuff up in downtown toronto.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

I just clicked pass 1900 miles on my 2012 Stella. I got her back in July. I had the dealer swap to white walls. Not sure if I've been using to much rear brake but I had to switch my rear tire which was buring through the tread with the matching spare. Other than that I have had nothing but worry free riding the last 3 months.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

I had 2600 since April on mine now only 55. Amazingly it is a different color now. Is this normal?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

OK Max, I'll bite,

What did you do?

Rob
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

Robbie wrote:OK Max, I'll bite,

What did you do?

Rob
Genuine took care of me after having so many issues with the original one. I now have a shiney new black 4T. Hopefully i can break it in before it starts to snow.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Maximus53 wrote:
Robbie wrote:OK Max, I'll bite,

What did you do?

Rob
Genuine took care of me after having so many issues with the original one. I now have a shiney new black 4T. Hopefully i can break it in before it starts to snow.
Well now, thats really cool!

I dunno about gettin it broken in though.....weather gettin uh.....problematic.
I did ride to Scootoberfest last weekend....and proved to myself that when ya get old, ya get cold.

You might get a few days this week, 10/15 through the weekend....a few days for chance of rain but for the most part, up in the higher 50's

Congrats on your New, new, Stella.

Rob
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Just under 3,000 miles and I bought her back in May.

It would normally be much more but I moved house and I can literally see where I work from my bedroom window !
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Just put my first 12 miles on her riding around San Francisco late last night. Up and down Nob Hill and back to my neighborhood without a problem. Clutch is predictably tight and 1st gear hard to engage from a stop even when rocking back and forth, but otherwise rides like a dream. Now getting ready to take her to class.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Bump

Hit 1600 today, out of curiosity what are people at?
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Funny to see this again after two years. I'm now at just shy of 6700 miles. After getting past electrical maladies in the first 700 miles or so she's been great.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I've got about 3600 MI and loving every ride I take....
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

11,700 after 26 months and she's running like a top
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

According to the odometer, the mileage is 9. Just un-crated her today and she's all kinds of pretty. I look forward to turning all the digits over. :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JPL

Post by JPL »

Right around 4700 after 3 years. No major problems after the initial electronic bugs, although my electronic starter no longer works. Kick-start does, so I haven't bothered looking into it.
Frank Tabor

Post by Frank Tabor »

JPL wrote:Right around 4700 after 3 years. No major problems after the initial electronic bugs, although my electronic starter no longer works. Kick-start does, so I haven't bothered looking into it.
Steve's 4T shifter ran flawlessly through the 2014 SCR for about 4K miles in 10 days. He did no special prep and it used no oil.
finished 18 in 2014 Scooter Cannonball.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

2,000 last night! Hopefully more annoying posts from me for the foreseable future.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

About 3400. Starts first kick almost every time.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

10629 at the moment. Still on stock tires, too.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

5310.4 as of right now.

Donna is on the lift for a clutch cable adjustment, and a mysterious knocking sound that might be related to the slack in the clutch (I hope 8) ).

She's been on quite a lot of adventures these 5310.4 miles...backroads to Indy in preparation for Amerivespa, the Adirondack Mountains, The St. Lawrence Valley in Northern New York, and countless places near and around Bloomington, IN.

Just under a year left of warranty left too!
gburbank

3800 miles...

Post by gburbank »

mine is a 2012 4t, I had a sidecar attached when I bought it. it has 3800+ on it today. The clutch cable thing others have experienced seems common enough, I'm on my second, and I now carry a spare. Light bulbs are a common problem, I put in LED's. I had a major electrical short that was traced to overlong screws used for the steering dampener on the front column cutting through the brake light wiring, simple fix and ground the screws shorter so they no longer protrude into the column. At 800 miles I had a Sito + pipe put on and up-jetted the carb, a noticeable increase in power. the engine didn't feel fully broken in until 2500 miles, with a small gain in power to that point. Other than those two issues, I have had no mechanical problems. As snow falls this week, I am bringing it to the dealer for a 165 kit. the 150 will go into the storage box, oil fogged and wrapped should the 165 fail at some point. I hesitated to monkey with it as it is running so well right now, and if I didn't have the sidecar I would probably leave it alone for now. But I am always willing to be the guinea pig for our scooter club so I will report back on the 165 kit when I get it under me.
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Stilts wrote:10629 at the moment. Still on stock tires, too.

Wow, if those are the stock Sava whitewalls you are still rolling on I could not recommend getting rid of those enough. At about 5000 miles I replaced mine with Michelin S83's and I literally noticed the difference AS I WAS PULLING AWAY FROM THE SHOP. The bike actually wants to turn and lean now. Grip is vastly higher- and the Michelins are block-tread vintage style tires! The difference is incredible. I thought I would miss the looks of the whitewall but I don't (and I really don't miss cleaning them).
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

quen047 wrote:
Stilts wrote:10629 at the moment. Still on stock tires, too.

Wow, if those are the stock Sava whitewalls you are still rolling on I could not recommend getting rid of those enough. At about 5000 miles I replaced mine with Michelin S83's and I literally noticed the difference AS I WAS PULLING AWAY FROM THE SHOP. The bike actually wants to turn and lean now. Grip is vastly higher- and the Michelins are block-tread vintage style tires! The difference is incredible. I thought I would miss the looks of the whitewall but I don't (and I really don't miss cleaning them).
2012's came with Dunlop Maxilifes. Okay tire, grip could be a little better and the cross section is a little square making it harder to turn at speed, but they have fantastic treadwear.
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

I'm gonna have to try those. Sidecars eat rear tires bigtime, anexperience common to all sidecar tugs.A "square profile" tire would really help.
Crew

Milage update

Post by Crew »

Here is my mileage update. As of this January I have 18,000 KM and the scoot is running like a top. I will have to replace my swing-arm bushings soon as there is some side flex which is affecting my cornering. I have emailed a guy in the USA in order to buy the urethane bushings
JohnThreeSixteen
gburbank

Post by gburbank »

165 kit on and running. All mods co-operating with each other. Too cold and snowy to break it in right now. Busy mucking around with LED upgrade and underglow lighting. Plus bought a stella auto for the wife.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

hitting the 1600 mark....

gol'dang hard putting on miles whrn:
1) your daily commute is <3 miles round trip.
2) 80% of my needs are within 10 miles of my front door...
3) winter gets too dang dark too dang early and i hate riding after dark!

and yes, i'd like some fancy cheese with my whine... :P
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

3333!!!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Now just over 5,800 miles. ~230 after the motor rebuild.

All smiles :)
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I'm at 10,350 now. SF Scooter Centre dealer says it's the highest-mileage 4t they've seen with the original non-rebuilt engine (the back of the dealer is littered with the carcasses of 4t's that blew up at 7-8000 miles). I'm hoping to get it through the summer before the inevitable top end rebuild is necessary- it's my DD and I'm a couple months away from finishing a marginally-payed internship. I have had it serviced right on schedule from new and, starting at around 7000 miles started changing the oil every 1500 miles. I've never revved the crap out of it, so fingers crossed. Maybe I can beat Stilts' record of 13,121 miles?
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

As noted in another post, I hate approx 13, 121 (speedo cable was out of commission for a week or so, so I'm guesstimating actual mileage) before the head blew up on me. Waiting on new head and crank before Felicia's second life begins...
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

What are some of the averages for the 2T Stella out of curiousity if anyone knows?
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

got it back from second service...so, 2100 miles +/-.

my horn short is back.. :?
Professional nerd, Cube dweller, and wannabe Evil Overlord (OK, maybe not too evil or lord over more than I can manage...well,­ on second thought make that Suburbanite just trying to make his way in the world as best he can)
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

srbbnd wrote:What are some of the averages for the 2T Stella out of curiousity if anyone knows?
I know of at least two 2T Stellas that have 20k miles on them with minimal engine repair (maybe a seal or less).

Both are orange. Maybe it's the color.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Had it 6 mo. now and at 2379.
At this rate hopefully if the engines blows, it'll still be under warranty.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

EvilNerdLord wrote:got it back from second service...so, 2100 miles +/-.

my horn short is back.. :?
Is this one where you turn the handlebars to the left, the horn goes off?
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Just under 20,000 on my 200 4t I think,cant be sure because my speedo cable broke on the first day of my trip across America.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

My 2013 4t with sidecar that I've had since Jan of 2015 has 1350 miles on her now! I bought her with 32 miles...

Only had a couple of small issues so far: Bad over floating cut off valve, and loose wire connections to the magneto. Also just replaced the rear tire due to wear from pulling the hack.
Johnny O

Post by Johnny O »

@ Matt Tipper, First off congrats on the trip across the US! So glad you had a good trip and completed it mostly unscathed! I wanted to meet you when you passed outside Youngstown Ohio but I was out of town when you came through.

Since its in the general taste of this post regarding reliability of the LML generation of scooters (Stella, LML STAR); What issues did you have with "Lucky" upon return and checkout by your mechanic? Is "Lucky" still running good?

Any improvements or decline in overall performance that you notice? I remember you were downright religious about oil changes on the US trip. I'm sure that helped. Thanks! -John
chief101

Post by chief101 »

srbbnd wrote:3333!!!
3330 kms today. no engine problem yet. scared of doing long rides with the stell. currently using honda zoomer x for a long ride (3-4hrs/rest the run again to get at least 200kms) weekend getaway.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

DonnaStella update:

9,300 miles. About 4,000 miles on the rebuilt motor.

Motor problem: Improperly pressed bearing caused a knocking sound which would have quickly created havoc throughout the motor - stator, crank, internals...basically everything but the clutch and transmission. Case seemed alright as well. Thank goodness for the Warranty - complete rebuild and I didn't pay a dime! Even got to help the mechanic through the rebuild at the shop I work at.

Small modifications, electrical gremlins, etc. sorted out. Still a blast!
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

A little over 3900 miles now on my 2013 sidecar setup. I've owned her a year and a half, bought with just 32 miles.

Other than replacing some rubber bits, 2 clutch cables, and figuring out electrical gremlins on the extra lights I added to the sidecar she has been reliable and more importantly fun!
JPL

Post by JPL »

Just went over 6k on my 2012. Still in pretty good shape. No major issues to report.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Johnny O wrote:@ Matt Tipper, First off congrats on the trip across the US! So glad you had a good trip and completed it mostly unscathed! I wanted to meet you when you passed outside Youngstown Ohio but I was out of town when you came through.

Since its in the general taste of this post regarding reliability of the LML generation of scooters (Stella, LML STAR); What issues did you have with "Lucky" upon return and checkout by your mechanic? Is "Lucky" still running good?

Any improvements or decline in overall performance that you notice? I remember you were downright religious about oil changes on the US trip. I'm sure that helped. Thanks! -John
Sorry for the late reply,I havent checked in for a while.

The only real issue lucky suffered was he started burning oil about half way into the trip,I think this was down to worn rings and kinda started up a chain reaction. The oil lever would drop as I was riding flat out all day every day in the heat which would cause the rings to wear more which would cause it to burn more oil.

It took a couple of months to land back in the UK and fired straight up but performance was down slightly and the amount of oil it was using got beyond manageable. I have a new engine in it now but that was due to human error (more on that later).

Other than that I had to fit a new battery while I was over there as one of the terminals on my original one snapped off,changed the rear tyre when I got to Boulder and the speedo cable snapped about 200 miles in !

I got the oil and filter changed every thousand miles and the guys at scooterworks changed the clutch arm oil seals for me.These were leaking before I left as they had been fitted wrong by the 'mechanic' who tried to do the engine work before I shipped the bike over.

The only time Lucky really struggled was up in the rocky mountains. The massive change in elevation strangled the engine a fair bit and I spent a fair few hours at around 20mph in second on some twisty cold roads. I should have taken spare jets with me really but I didnt realise it was going to have such an effect. We dont have mountains that big over here.

Would I do a similar trip on my LML again ? Hell yeah,once my credit card is paid off I will be planning another adventure. The look on everyones face when I told them what I was doing was priceless and getting called a 'crazy son of a bitch' by some builders in the Sierra Nevada made me feel like I was in some kind of predator remake.

So the engine,well as I mentioned in another thread I checked the oil then forgot to re-fit the dip stick. 2 miles down the road the engine seized and made some interesting noises. I instantly knew what I had done and had a long shameful walk home. There is still an oil stain running down my road to remind me of my stupidity.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

5000!!!! Halfway to my goal.
Attachments
5000 Stella
5000 Stella
5000.1.jpg (127.93 KiB) Viewed 12786 times
matap

Post by matap »

Only have about 220 miles on it although I just purchased a few weeks ago with 195 miles.