***Solved*** Stella bogging or misfiring at high RPM?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Neutronbomb

***Solved*** Stella bogging or misfiring at high RPM?

Post by Neutronbomb »

I have a new issue with the Stella (with sidecar) that I can’t figure out.
After riding for a few minutes (or sometimes an hour) suddenly the Stella will start bogging down at higher rpms. And when I say higher rpms, I don’t mean racing around, I mean just going a few mph even.
I’ve replaced the cdi, the coil, new spark plug wire with new boot.
I’ve cleaned and rebuilt the carb with new gaskets.
I’ve replaced the fuel line, oil line, new fuel tap.

It’s hard to explain what it’s doing. It’s almost like when you get water in your gas. Possibly a misfire?

What’s weird is one day it started doing it, so we inched home and as we got close to the house it started running normal again. So we ended up riding for another couple of hours with no problems.

The next day we took it out and after about an hour of riding it started to do the strange bogging/misfire. So we started inching home at 10 mph. After about 10 minutes of inching home, suddenly it started running normal again.
So we started going regular speed of about 35mph. After about 5 minutes of regular riding it soft seized.

Got it home and I’ve tuned the carb and I think it’s pretty well tuned at this point. Rode it around for an hour, everything is normal.
Took it out the next day, everything is normal for an hour. Park it, get back on 30 minutes later, and after 5 minutes of riding it’s bogging/misfiring at high rpm again.

Any suggestions on what I could do to remedy this?

It’s a 2008 Stella 2T.
Last edited by Neutronbomb on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Vacuum in the gas tank from a cap that isn't venting?

Pickup coil in the stator nearly out of spec, and coughing/farting once it gets good and hot?

What happens if you hit the choke while it's bogging? Any difference?
Neutronbomb

Post by Neutronbomb »

Stanza wrote:Vacuum in the gas tank from a cap that isn't venting?

Pickup coil in the stator nearly out of spec, and coughing/farting once it gets good and hot?

What happens if you hit the choke while it's bogging? Any difference?
I haven’t attempted to hit the choke while it’s bogging.
It’s been sitting a few days so I’d need to get it out and have the problem occur again in order to test that.

I think I’m going to go ahead and get a new stator/flywheel setup anyway.

I’ll update if or when I get the problem fixed.
Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Might be running out of fuel at prolonged speed. Fuel line, fuel tap or jetting. Not good for the motor for prolong runs. No fuel, no lube
Neutronbomb

Post by Neutronbomb »

I said I’d update when I got it figured out, and I think I got it.

I replaced the stator and flywheel, and everything seems to be working fine now. I’ve only put about 20 miles on it since the replacement, but so far it’s working great.

I believe the stator was the problem, but I went ahead and replaced the flywheel since I could buy both together for not much more than the price of the stator.

If the problem comes back, I will update.