Smoke out of front of Stella 4T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pfhat

Smoke out of front of Stella 4T

Post by pfhat »

I'm getting a somewhat neglected ~2014 Stella 4T up and running and finished rebuilding the carb and things seemed to be going fine yesterday in my test ride. But today after maybe 10 minutes, gray/white smoke started coming out of the FRONT of the scooter. Specifically up from the steering column, and had the visual effect of coming out of the grill. The only thing I can think of that's up there is burning electronics, or brake pads.

It vaguely smelled like clutch/brakes but not enough to really be distinctive. Anyone have thoughts?

unrelated: does anyone know of a replacement keihin air screw for the PB18/PB20 carbs? preferably one that can be finger tightened instead of the obnoxious D head that's required now
Thanks!
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

Be cautious about abraded wiring harness conductors in the steering column. The insulation can wear off the wires and then they short to ground against the metallic frame of the scooter.

Poke around and look for bare wires.

If the brakes were smoking that badly the bike probably wouldn't roll easily.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
pfhat

Post by pfhat »

Just did a quick experiment. Kick started her (I have a total dead battery), and let her run for a minute or two then throttled up around 1/5 or so. This is all with her on her stand.

sure enough, gray/white smoke starts coming out of the neck of the steering column between the front panel and the handlebar assembly. Didn't see it come from the front tire area at all and did a quick inspect undenearth. doesn't seem to be anything in the engine area. Didn't see anything inside the glove box either. So I guess I'll have to get under there and check those wires. Is there an easy way to access there?
pfhat

Post by pfhat »

well something is burning badly in that whitebox

Guff

Post by Guff »

same thing happened to my 4T

https://www.scooterwest.com/power-switc ... la-4t.html

That's the culprit
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

What exactly does that switch do? Or what function does it serve? I have one in mine but it's not in the print. Trying to figure out why it is there.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

What color wires are leading directly to it? Might be able to reference it on the wiring diagram.