No tail light or brake light Stella 150

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DocS

No tail light or brake light Stella 150

Post by DocS »

I just took delivery of a 2013 Stella 150. The seller didn't tell me the brakelight and tail light didn't work. I checked the bulbs, the wiring and the fuse behind the battery, they all look good to me. What am I missing? Thanks for any help!
Guff

Post by Guff »

Possibly the relay box that is under the horn cover. I just had mine changed out because it caught on fire. Also check to make sure the bulbs are making good contact to the light assembly. They assembly is kind of cheap.
mjrally

Post by mjrally »

Whats the condition of the battery? Charged? Dead?
tev

Re: No tail light or brake light Stella 150

Post by tev »

did you ever get your lights issue fixed?
i purchased a 2012 stella 4T two months ago. the tail and brake lights stopped working last week.
the headlight still does work.
do all the lights on the stella work off the battery ?
stella 4t & a p200e
tev

Post by tev »

okay, the headlamp does not require a battery to work. that was easy to figure out.
so.... (stella 150 4T) i need to figure out if the relay box, mentioned earlier, is the issue. how would that be checked for workability?
or could there be an issue with the battery not charging properly? is that the magneto that does that? or is there an alternator somewhere in this electrical system that i’ve failed to read about?

thanks for any help.

btw, i’ve previously owned two p200s and a Sprint 150 in another lifetime. so i’m not really a newbie with scooters, just electrical issues.
stella 4t & a p200e
2003stellaDave

Post by 2003stellaDave »

Electrical problems are hard to fix. First thing I would do is replace the bulbs with new ones. Check the contacts - where the bulb sits. Check the wiring at the back of the scooter to make sure everything is connected and in good condition.

Good luck.
Bismuthsheep

Post by Bismuthsheep »

Stick a voltmeter on the bulb socket to see if its getting power. Bulbs sometimes look just fine (no broken filament) but are still blown.
tev

Post by tev »

i finally found a friend with a multi-meter. problem solved. replaced a pinched/broken wire and a new battery.
thanks for all the support and help.
stella 4t & a p200e
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Everybody should own a multimeter. And with serviceable models selling as low as ten bucks, there's no reason anyone should have to "phone a friend".
tev

Post by tev »

eggsalad wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:40 am Everybody should own a multimeter. And with serviceable models selling as low as ten bucks, there's no reason anyone should have to "phone a friend".
i’ll agree that it’s smart to have access to one. until now i had no idea how to use one or what i’d need one for.
stella 4t & a p200e