MISC. REVIEWS: Crampbuster

Product reviews. Read-Only.

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

MISC. REVIEWS: Crampbuster

Post by Lostmycage »

This is aimed at being a review. I want some/any feedback or counter-points that anyone has to offer. That being said...

Today I picked up a Crampbuster [ www.crampbuster.com ] from a local gear shop. It set me back about $11 and change with taxes. To give complete credit, I never would have known about it had it not been for searching for "Saddlebags" (still looking for perfection) and running across Maryvu's post on the modded/customized Buddy used for comuting. Not much was said of this little gizmo, but I instantly picked up on it. Whilst myself and the mrs were looking for helmets and (of course) saddlebags I noticed this and grabbed it up.

One thing that I've noticed about the buddy is that after a while, the vibrations can really numb you. My hands started getting excessively "sleepy" from holding the same position for miles with constant vibration. The Crampbuster transfers all of the strain from a gripping motion to a "resting your palm"motion.

I made the mistake of using their included rubber band. On the stock Buddy right hand grip, the band + Crampbuster is overkill. It cancels out being able to adjust the "CB" on the fly. Once I got home (granted, even with the weirdness associated with the first ride with the CB, my hands were markedly more relaxed than normal) I took off their rubber band and reapplied the CB, it now slides in the decellerate direction but cinches down on the acceleration direction. This allows you to fine tune your "cruise control" position. In the short ammount of time that I've used it, I can almost not imagine not having it. It incredibly intuitive, dumbfoundingly simple and worth what I paid and more for how much it relaxes your throttle-hand. If you're looking for a low investment, high comfort improvement for your buddy ***especially if you're a commuter, cruiser, or anyone who maintains a constant speed for longer than a few minutes*** I highly suggest looking into this gadget.

One majorly important point I want to leave on is that the first few miles, you'll notice that you're not using your deceleration or engine-breaking as much if you don't keep a tab on your hand position. The thing that really caught me off-guard is that (when I first installed it at the dealer, rubber "grip" band and all) on the way home, reaching the front brake was awkward. This I entirely contribute towards the rubber "grip" band being installed under the Cramp-buster. This didn't allow it to slide in the decelleration rotation, the palm throttle-rest remained where it was the entire ride. Once I removed the grip-band, the Cramp-buster would rotate towards the decell, which allowed adjustment of the palm cruiser on the fly and made for a tremendously better ride.

PLEASE be careful the first time you ride with this device. It's well worth it as long as you're not testing silly. Also, unless you have aftermarket grips, I'd say try it out without the rubber band that's supplied. You'll find (most likely) that the ability to adjust the palm rest is a key feature to this simple and awesome device.

Above all else, ride comfortable and relaxed.

***edit*** with more rides and more circumstances posted below:
Upon further use of them (I got the wide, cause it was the only one I saw at the store) I tried commuting with and without them this week. Here's what it comes down to. If I use it, my hand doesn't go numb. If I don't use it, my hand goes numb, but I feel more comfortable with braking and coasting. With the Wide Crampbuster on, I had to be especially conscious about my hand position. I'll be honest: during stop and go, I found myself rotating it out of the way so that I have more immediate access to acceleration and (more importantly, the front brake).

The first few times I used it were more joy-rides. Long cruises with little stop and go. My morning commute (depending on what time I leave the house) can range from cruise to stop and go.

Here's what I'd like to see; a longer handle grips with shock absorbing aspects (Dr. Scholl gel or something?)to it to reduce the "sleepy wrist" effect. I think if the grips were longer, I'd be comfortable enough to use this all the time. In the mean time, I've relegated it to "cruise" type rides (off hours of the day and light traffic, where steady speeds are attainable).

I really think this product is ingenious, but I also want to highly stress that it should be tweaked and tested with each user's preferences. If anyone has a lead on extended vibration reduction grips, I'd love to hear from you, via PM or through the forums.
Last edited by Lostmycage on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

The Crampbuster was the first "mod" I put on my Buddy. I had only been riding for about 2 weeks, but had already noticed numbness in my fingers and thumb during my rides to work. Mentioned the problem during lunch at the Tulsa Quadrophenia Rally, and robonz (seated across the table) mentioned this handy little item -- and even offered to loan his to me for a tryout. Within 48 hours of the loan, I purchased a brand new one to return to Rob.

I recommend it, bunches.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It really should come standard :) I think that lays to rest the only qualm I have with my Buddy.

I really don't give a hoot about credit, I know I'm not the first one (or even second at this point) to try this thing, but it really should have high visibility to Buddy riders. It's something that's so ridiculously simple and easily overlooked, but it makes a night and day difference to the ride quality.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I have a 3 and half hour ride coming up.. this may be a good idea Thanks :)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

O wow! I thought I was the only one who got numb hands from riding. Looks like the crampbuster is a lot like the throttle rocker, but I thought those were only for people who do really long rides. Which size CB did you get?
ModBud #442
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Wow, you people really need to relax your grip! lol

Just the weight of my hand/arm and the friction of my gloves keeps the throttle exactly where I need it.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'd agree with schlagle, to some degree.

I have one that I bought for long trips, and it is nice for maybe 1+hour rides where you're not stopping and starting a lot. I carry it around in case I ever need it, but other than on a few long rides, I've never used it.

I bet loosening up your grip (and wearing good gloves, if you don't already) will really help, most people tend to white-knuckle the bars more than they realize. And your wrists will get stronger with time the more you ride. Watch your ergonomics, too, your seating position, where you keep your knees, etc, all affect how much weight you put on your wrists.

There are different sizes and variations on the Crampbuster, I have the medium one I think (it's about an inch wide) and it really gets in the way when you're in stop and go traffic. I'd think leaving it on there all the time wouldn't be a good idea, it could result in accidental acceleration or make a quick stop more difficult. Maybe a narrower one would be better, but like I said, I think you're maybe better off not using it for everyday city traffic riding.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

It's not a matter of relaxing. It's about the vibration, not the grip. I have very small hands, and the Buddy's stock grips are really thick. The numbness comes when I've either been riding without stopping for around 30 minutes or riding WOT for a spell. I wouldn't use a CB or throttle rocker for my daily commute, which is all inner city, but for cruising around the Philly burbs.
ModBud #442
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

wow polianarchy, it sounds like you're quite sensitive to the vibrations. And/or your bike may vibrate more than I realize.

I'm not trying to convince anyone _not_ to use a throttle lock. I used one for years on my Harley since it was built into the throttle. But that was only for long highway cruises. My point was more along the lines of what illnoise articulated... the proper riding "posture" helps a lot. And that before you go trying to buy some new fangled (sp?) gadget to solve your problem you should first look more closely at what you're actually doing. Remember, it's a skill. And skills take practice to master.

I agree that the 'burbs might be another good place for one and everyone should use their own judgment. Just be aware that it can possibly slow your response time.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

schlagle, I bet you're on to something there...I have "issues" with the cartilage in my joints, so it makes sense that I'd be extra sensitive to scooter vibrations. I never made the connection before now, hmm. And yes, I agree that riders should be conscious of their riding posture and hand/arm position.

I wasn't aware that throttle locks were "new fangled." I thought they'd been around awhile, but I was unclear on their usage.
ModBud #442
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

That's one nice thing about old Vespas, the throttle gets so sticky and the spring wears out after a while that you get free 'cruise control'.

BTW, should I put this in the "Reviews" section?

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

One of these days, I'll experience the unmitigated delights and horrors of vintage Vepsa ownership. Until then...yes, I think this should go into the reviews section.
ModBud #442
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

polianarchy wrote:schlagle, I bet you're on to something there...I have "issues" with the cartilage in my joints, so it makes sense that I'd be extra sensitive to scooter vibrations. I never made the connection before now, hmm. And yes, I agree that riders should be conscious of their riding posture and hand/arm position.

I wasn't aware that throttle locks were "new fangled." I thought they'd been around awhile, but I was unclear on their usage.
That's what I like about this board. There's so much to learn or just even new ways of looking at things. Everyone here has been great.

I was being silly when I called them "new fangled" :D

I wonder if bar weights would help you out. I've never tried them but they are supposed to reduce vibration.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

schlagle, too true! I <3 this board so much, because I learn something new here just about every day. :D

Funny you should mention bar weights...I was JUST talking to a friend about them after my disastrous long ride home from NYC. I think I'll try them out and see what's what. Thanks for your input!
ModBud #442