Most likely short?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RickWaza

Most likely short?

Post by RickWaza »

So, I started the blur, pulled my gloves on, pushed it back out of the car port, got on, looked down, and the bike was dead. No lights, no engine. Checked it out and the main 15 amp fuse was blown. I ordered another fuse, but it blew as soon as I put it in. Ignition was off. Any likely, easy to access candidates for a short that I can check before I tear the whole thing apart?

Scooter is about 4 years old. I just put a new battery in a couple months ago. A few weeks ago, the back light died on the speedometer. Don't know if there is any relation.

Thanks for the help.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Wish I had a wiring diagram for a Blur 220i...but, maybe something in this post might be of help: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic30451.html
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

Thanks. The service manual I downloaded has a wiring diagram, but the resolution is so poor that I can't make out half of it. It looks like the 15A fuse runs directly to the voltage regulator (in two places), the clock, antitheft, and a rectangle with chinese letters. The manual also says to check the resistance of the regulator but doesn't say what they should be. Is that a translation issue? Should it read "voltages"? What should the voltages out of the regulator be? It seems somewhat likely the regulator is the problem based on other posts, but they're $99 so I'd like to check it before I buy a new one.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not sure if the voltage regulator for a 220i is different than that in a 150, but regulators for mine are pretty cheap on eBay - usually less than $12. There are even NCY branded ones for between $13 - $17. Might be worth comparing the part number for your regulator with the 150 part number to see if they're the same. Even if they're not, you might find one that will work on eBay cheap. It would be a good way to see if it's the regulator that's the issue for not a lot of money. If it fixes the problem, use it until it dies then get the expensive one. If you're lucky, it'll last a good long time, because after all, there is NOT $99 worth of parts inside a regulator.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.