Engine starter sputtering

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

HamDaddyBorksauce

Engine starter sputtering

Post by HamDaddyBorksauce »

Hello squad - I've been scouring these boards without any avail, hoping someone who had a similar experience could lend any suggestions.

Recently tried to start my scooter and the turnover was much weaker than usual. Taking a couple tries to start up is not out of the ordinary for my Blur. After a couple attempts the engine would not even attempt to turn over, leading me to troubleshoot the battery as per the service manual found on page 22 here:

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/file ... Manual.pdf

However, after testing the start motor it began to make a rapid clicking sound. Almost like spinning a wheel (think wheel of fortune) or putting a baseball card between your bike spokes. This is now the norm whenever I attempt to start the engine via the yellow start button. I have also been having incredible trouble getting the bike to start via the kickstart (hundreds of buddy kick start vids watched) so have been unable to take it into my local shop.

Any info would be greatly apprecaited!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

How often do you ride your Blur? What is the average distance of each trip? How old is the battery? Has the battery been tested under a load and not just a voltage check?

FWIW, the kickstarter in my Blur never really worked very well at starting the engine. I will probably remove the kickstart arm just to save a little bit of weight.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
HamDaddyBorksauce

During the summer i'm riding daily. I just decided to get myself a new battery which totally fixed the cranking problem, cranks just fine now. However now it just continues to crank without starting. It's been about 3 months since last start so I'm going to wait for a warming day...but I'm starting to think it could be an issue with the fuel pump as I've heard it's a notorious Blur issue.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Blur 150's don't have a fuel pump, fuel is gravity fed. Between the fuel tank and carb is a fuel filter and vacuum actuated fuel petcock. The petcock can sometimes get gummed up and not open, but as long as theres fuel in the carbs float bowl the engine should at least start. Check to make sure theres fuel in the float bowl and if there is then check the ignition system. Don't forget to check the kill switch on the handlebar.
HamDaddyBorksauce

Wonderful news! I'll give that a go later today. I believe the person I was speaking with that mentioned the fuel pump issue was under the impression I had the 220i but either way appreciate the info babble, I'll let you know how my investigation turns out.
HamDaddyBorksauce

Quick question, is this fuel filter/petcock exposed or will I need to expose the fuel tank as shown in 120? I assume the diagram on 119 is for the 220i. Also, you think i'll need to drain the tank before performing the cleaning?

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/file ... Manual.pdf

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The fuel filter is underneath the fuel tank while the petcock is mounted on the frame, left side. Remove the pet carrier and you should be able to see it. No need to drain the tank, just pinch off the rubber fuel line with a clamp. I use a small locking plier (Visegrip) to do the job, just make sure it's not set so tight that it damages the rubber line.

That thing labelled "fuel pump" in the diagram you referenced is actually the fuel petcock. That diagram is for the Blur 150. The fuel pump for the 220i is in the fuel tank itself.

From your description of the problem, it sounds to me like your battery is dead. You can try recharging it to see if that solves your problem. If this doesn't help then I suggest getting a new battery. You can always try jump starting the engine by using jumper cables to a car battery. Just make sure the car's engine isn't running.

And BTW, I've never been very successful at starting my Blur using the kick starter either. In the ten or so years I've had my Blur, kick starting only worked a couple of times. Tried so many times that the gears for the kick starter is now stripped. That's OK, I don't kick start my car either.
HamDaddyBorksauce

Gotcha, I'll take a look today and attempt to clean out the petcock. I have a Blur 150 so was just a little confused as you mentioned the 150 doesn't have a true 'fuel pump' as the diagram appears to indicate, but good to know that is what I'll be looking for.

Unfortunately, the issue came about as I initially thought I needed a new battery. So I just forked over for a fresh one to have that piece of mind this year, unfortunately after replacing the battery it turns over just fine but just doesnt seem to fire up.

The geniune shop in my area has given me the standard 'you need to clean the carb' pitch but that was fully replaced/cleaned a month before putting it in to storage so I remain hesitant to just bite on the sell and see if I can't figure it out myself.

I haven't had any success with the kick start as well and at this point will likely just opt for transporting it to the shop w/ a Uhaul if cleaning that fuel petcock doesnt do the trick.

Thanks for the help Babble, i'll keep this thread updated as I get to work.
HamDaddyBorksauce

So i was able to clear out all the fuel lines, and that was unfortunately not the issue. Problem was more than likely caused by it sitting for a couple months over the winter...had the carb cleaned out and got myself a fresh battery for the season and she's back to running like normal.

Thanks for the assistance babble