Variator Fins Chipped off!?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alexrody1

Variator Fins Chipped off!?

Post by alexrody1 »

Hello All,

Just purchased a 2016 roughhouse sport and wanted to de-restrict the variator.

What i thought would be simple maintenance turned out to be a frustrating experience. When using pliers/wrench to hold the variator plate in place as i broke the variator nut loose, 2 of the fins crumbled under the pressure. Is there a way to get this plate off, down to the restriction spacer without balding every fin i have on the variator plate?
Do i really need an airgun to rip it off?
As far as i can tell, the fins are just for air movement, not a huge deal to replace right?

Thanks!
Stanza

Re: Variator Fins Chipped off!?

Post by Stanza »

You do need to use some kind of an impact, yes. Also, if you have broken fins off the variator plate, you now need to replace it, as it's now out of balance and will shake itself apart.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Also, are you de-restricting it because you know, and can see, the restrictor ring in between the front variator?
DannyST

Post by DannyST »

Curious about the de-restricting the roughhouse. Any update?
alexrody1

Post by alexrody1 »

I did use an impact drill (battery) to get the variator nut off, no need for pliers holding the variator plate in place, removed the restrictor ring and replaced plate, although I have not replaced the variator with the crumbled fins theres no "noticeable" change due to the offbalance, I would also recommend replacing it. Top end speed increased a few mph with this mod alone.