Auto-bystarter Delayed Reaction?

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

G-Man

Auto-bystarter Delayed Reaction?

Post by G-Man »

Hi All,

I'm a big fan of the forum and have learned a lot. This is my first posting, however. Maybe you guys can let me know if my situation is typical, as I have not yet found a definitive answer anywhere. I could ask the dealer, but wanted to get a "neutral" answer first.

I have a 2015 Roughhouse. I've had it for a couple of months now and have always noticed that the enricher only seems to increase the idle after about 60-90 seconds after engine start.

To explain further, when the weather is colder, the idle is very low when first started. Then, after about 60-90 seconds, the idle increases noticeably (due to the enrichment I assume), then falls back to a low idle after about 1 minute. To my mind, I would think that it should idle faster from the very start, since the plunger should be fully retracted, correct? So it almost seems like the plunger is more closed when cold, then opens after about 90 seconds, which seems counter to how it is supposed to operate.

Anyway, I will at some point pull it from the carb, and check it out, but wanted to see if this is normal behavior for other Roughhouse or Buddy 50 owners.

Thanks.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Mine does that too. It doesn't stall so I'm not worried about it.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
KooK

Post by KooK »

Mine does that too. I just attribute that to it warming up, and when it smooths out, it is warmed up. Mine only has 250 miles, so it's not even broken in yet. But I would just call that normal?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Stitch wrote:Mine does that too. It doesn't stall so I'm not worried about it.
Thanks. That is good to know that I'm not the only one. Mine does stall out when the idle drops though. However, that may be because of the colder weather we were having in St. Louis. I did increase the idle screw since.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

KooK wrote:Mine does that too. I just attribute that to it warming up, and when it smooths out, it is warmed up. Mine only has 250 miles, so it's not even broken in yet. But I would just call that normal?
Thanks Kook. So you have a '15 also, it seems. You are in a better climate than me (I'm in St. Louis), but you notice that the idle only really kicks up from a cold start after 60-90 secs too?

Let me ask one more question, if you don't mind, given that we have the same model and year... When you get up to say 35 or 40 mph, and then you coast (i.e. close the throttle), do you hear a kind of "shoop, shoop, shoop" sound from the transmission? I'm assuming that it is the belt running against the variator/clutch pack, but I only really hear it at that speed.

Thanks in advance!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

G-Man wrote:
Thanks. That is good to know that I'm not the only one. Mine does stall out when the idle drops though. However, that may be because of the colder weather we were having in St. Louis. I did increase the idle screw since.
Lol, the shop I use knows me well enough to tune it for cold weather. I've only managed to get it out to ride in above freezing temps 2 times so far. I've probably put 30 miles of just snow on it so far.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Stitch wrote:
G-Man wrote:
Lol, the shop I use knows me well enough to tune it for cold weather. I've only managed to get it out to ride in above freezing temps 2 times so far. I've probably put 30 miles of just snow on it so far.
Wow. That's pretty hardcore. I guess you have the idle turned up fairly high? Does that make the enricher/auto choke spin the rear wheel like crazy when it kicks in, in sub-freezing temps? Just curious...
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

A little. I won't use the side stand.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

As far as "hardcore ", not really. Tires and cold weather gear. The roughhouse is a very capable little machine. It just begs to go do something stupid.
KooK

Post by KooK »

G-Man wrote:
KooK wrote:Mine does that too. I just attribute that to it warming up, and when it smooths out, it is warmed up. Mine only has 250 miles, so it's not even broken in yet. But I would just call that normal?
Thanks Kook. So you have a '15 also, it seems. You are in a better climate than me (I'm in St. Louis), but you notice that the idle only really kicks up from a cold start after 60-90 secs too?

Let me ask one more question, if you don't mind, given that we have the same model and year... When you get up to say 35 or 40 mph, and then you coast (i.e. close the throttle), do you hear a kind of "shoop, shoop, shoop" sound from the transmission? I'm assuming that it is the belt running against the variator/clutch pack, but I only really hear it at that speed.

Thanks in advance!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

KooK wrote:
G-Man wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Hi Kook, did you intend to reply? I think it got missed! :?

I'm anxious to know about the "shoop, shoop, shoop" belt noise, that seems loudest at about 35 mph when coasting.

@Stitch (or anyone else), feel free to chime in also about this belt noise, or lack thereof...
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I got nothing. I wear a full face helmet, so about all I can hear on mine is tires singing, a little 2 stroke spinning, and wind noise.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I'm gonna go terrorize some mountain roads tomorrow, I'll try the coasting thing and see if I can hear it. I don't coast much (my roughhouse is usually WOT or two fistfuls of brake), so it might not have occurred on mine yet.
KooK

Post by KooK »

whoops, well my tablet doesn't like this site.

but yes, I tried to listen for that on mine, i actually tried today going to work. i got nothing. my helmet is really loud, so i had to try a few times to hear something. so yours maybe just yours. mine sounds as normal as it should be. and i tried again today to hit a top speed. i hit indicated 41mph thats it. and I just rolled 300 miles going to work. so by the end of the month, ill be getting my oil changed.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I just passed 300 today. I pulled my helmet off and tried to recreate the noise while coasting down a hill. No luck. Mine doesn't do it.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hmm, well thanks guys, anyway for taking the time to try and re-create it. I have about 370 miles on mine and it has done it from day one. I think I will be making a trip to the dealer soon. :(

One other thing that i have noticed is that unless I have the rear brake adjusted all the way out, so that it hardly engages at all when I pull the brake lever, the rear brake shoe appears to catch/rub slightly at one point when spinning the wheel by hand, on the center stand. I wonder if that is part of the noise that I hear, but it really dos not sound like a brake scrubbing issue.
KooK

Post by KooK »

My brakes are rock solid and make no distinguishable noise.