2009 Roughhouse 50 Oil Injection Question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do I need to increase the amount of oil being injected when increasing the amount of fuel and air into the bigger cylinder?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

Mandrake

2009 Roughhouse 50 Oil Injection Question

Post by Mandrake »

Hey all,

I decided to dive into the 'stage 2' kit for the Roughhouse 50 and I have a question about the amount of oil being injected. I'm fairly new to the game so I may be a bit slower than others on this subject.

I see that the oil isn't injected into the carb and mixing there. It seems to be injected into the manifold. (Correct me if I'm mistaken) I have scoured the internet and buddies of mine about this and they all talk about needing to use a bigger main jet in the carb, but never talk about upping the amount of oil in any way.

Should I/Do I have to increase the amount of oil being added to the new fuel mixture as well? Or will a full syth oil still be enough to lubricate everything enough that I'm not too lean?

Thanks for any information.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

The oil pump is a gear driven pump that runs off the engine crankshaft. It's a fixed rate dependent on engine RPM only. If you are increasing the volume of the cylinder, and thus the surface area that needs to be lubricated, you are going to want to increase the oil that is delivered in order to make up the difference. Since you can't do anything to adjust the output of the pump, the only way to guarantee that it's the correct oil/fuel ratio would be to premix. Some folks just add a splash of oil to the tank, and keep the stock pump in use, but that's nonspecific enough that I wouldn't trust it with any kind of serious tuning.
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Thank you for the response.

Is there no way to slightly modify that pump to allow more oil through? Just trying to think out loud.

If I do need to go to premix only do you or anyone else have a general idea on an optimal ratio? Or at least a good starting point. (I have pod filter, stock carb, performance exhaust, 70cc BBK)
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

I ended up taking out the oil reservoir and pump last night and ran with an 80:1 AMS Oil Saber premix. After about a 10 minute light ride I pulled the plug and it looked good. I think I'm good to go. The only thing I need to do know is get a little more bottom end for quickness, I think. I only have a 35 pilot/slow jet I may have to buy another. I may also mess with the weighted rollers. Thank you for the help!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Go to a 40 pilot jet, and you should be good.
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

I think I'd like to try that. Where could you suggest buying the appropriate jet from?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Plenty of places around, but here's one.

https://www.scooterworks.com/
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Just wanted to let you know I bought the 40 jet from ScooterWorks and everything is much better. Thank you!