How great is your Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoneGirl

How great is your Buddy?

Post by BoneGirl »

I just hit the 28,000 mile mark in less than 2 years. Am I bragging? A little. But mostly I want to express how impressed I have been with this make and model of scooter.

The Buddy is easy maintenance, has great gas mileage, quick acceleration, excellent technical abilities, well made stock parts and an all around economic deal for transportation. There are many accessories and additions to make your Buddy unique. It's twist-n-go as well as wash-n-go. Weekend Rally coming up and you want your Buddy to sparkle? Hose 'er down and you're off! Scuff marks, tar, street grime got you down? Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does the trick and doesn't hurt the scooter body.

Now what about accessories, you ask?

The first generation of topcases left much to be desired as well as the racks you put them on. Me and my husband traded in a few racks; luckily, the racks were free of charge as they broke one by one.

But soon a better model of topcase and racks replaced the earlier ones and life is grand once again.

The first generation of short windshields were fairly useless as well...unless of course you couldn't get enough of the wind blasting your neck and making wind tunnel sounds as you cruised leisurely down the highways and byways of life.

But I have now seen the new designs of shorter windshields and will most likely try one this year (on someone else's bike before I purchase for myself).

I have had the tall windshield since my first winter and can't say enough about it. Many of you have heard me talk about it in other Forum threads. If it weren't for this particular windshield, I would most likely not ride once the temperatures dived below 45 degrees. I never have a problem with wind being a factor...ever!

There are all kinds of saddlebags that can be purchased at motorcycle dealers. You can open your seat cover, lay the straps across the opening, close the seat and go. I use a Cortech saddlebag and it is waterproof and huge. Between the under seat storage, topcase and saddlebags, I am good to go for at least a 4-day trip.

My biggest expense has been tires (you use a lot of tires when you ride this much!).

Biggest complaint: We were told at time of purchase any needed parts could be in the dealer's store within a couple days because they were coming from Chicago. That has never been the case. I have experienced an irritating amount of time waiting for stock parts like air filters and rollers to be in stock at Genuine and my local dealer. As many Buddy scooters as there are now in America, I find it hard to understand why these parts aren't readily available to dealers; large quantities stocked at both Genuine and the local dealer shelves. I just don't get it.

So I have to work around this problem and get parts where and when I can find them. But all in all, I wouldn't trade the Buddy for anything else.

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Wow.
:clap:
Angela

Post by Angela »

Congratulations. Pink buddys rule!
SpunkyFemme

Post by SpunkyFemme »

Wow !! That's a lotta miles! Congrats!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: How great is your Buddy?

Post by ScooterDave »

BoneGirl wrote:But all in all, I wouldn't trade the Buddy for anything else.
From a fellow pink Buddy rider, if you did not have your pink buddy, we would never have been able to hang out as much as we have so, it is a double win for you.

BTW. It was great riding with you & Lagerhead last night.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i remember a couple of months back, you hit the 20,000 mile mark. that was awesome. CONGRATS! im so jealous of you, im trying my best to ride around as much as i can, my commute in a day is only 10 miles or so :cry:
BoneGirl

Re: How great is your Buddy? (the low down on my 2006 125cc)

Post by BoneGirl »

BoneGirl wrote:I have experienced an irritating amount of time waiting for stock parts like air filters and rollers to be in stock at Genuine and my local dealer. As many Buddy scooters as there are now in America, I find it hard to understand why these parts aren't readily available to dealers; large quantities stocked at both Genuine and the local dealer shelves. I just don't get it.
As an example: here is Lagerhead's air filter today at 9,000 miles. We have been waiting over a month for air filters from our dealer and we are unable to get them directly from Genuine! What gives? :evil:
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

Here ya go, all the filters you need! http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/airfilters
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Bonegirl, you rule.
so tough, so pink
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Dean F wrote:Here ya go, all the filters you need! http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/airfilters
Thanks, Dean! Maybe I can find a K&N air filter that's washable. I'm checking with the site you listed. It's still a shame I can't just go to the dealer but whatever works. Sure appreciate the hookup! :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

That is awesome. 28000! Genuine should use you in a commercial.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rajron

Post by rajron »

Very hard core!
I have less than half those miles, and my scooter is almost as old as yours.
I better check my air filter.

Noticed your logo has changed a few times as well
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

rajron wrote: I better check my air filter.

Noticed your logo has changed a few times as well
The air filters seem to do pretty well for almost 9,000 miles but it's easy and smart to check. I finally got a new one this weekend and the difference in acceleration and speed is remarkable.

As far as avatar/logo changes: "Variety is the spice of life!"

I guess that's why I could never get a tattoo; there's no way I could look at the same thing day after day, year after year...well, you get my point.

Same with stickers on my bike. I have "Bonegirl" painted on it and plan to have a picture of a "bonegirl" painted on it when I go down to Deal's Gap again in a few weeks. That's as far as I can go with permanent. Everything else you see on my bike is a window/static cling. It rocks because I can change the look every month, every season or holiday! I love being able to "color" my bike depending on the occasion.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

Dean F wrote:Here ya go, all the filters you need! http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/airfilters
thanks for the link dean wow been lookin for a long time
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

You are very welcome! The price on the 100/90-10 Maxxis WW is also very reasonable at $44.95.
BoneGirl

white wall

Post by BoneGirl »

Dean F wrote:You are very welcome! The price on the 100/90-10 Maxxis WW is also very reasonable at $44.95.
I couldn't wait for a tubeless whitewall and was thrilled to death when Maxxis came out with it. The problem was I only got about 4,000 miles out of it. Bought a second set hoping I just got some bad tires but the same thing happened. As much as I love the look of the whitewall, it wasn't worth the money I spent for only 4,000 miles (which is only about 4 months for me. So I guess if you don't ride the scooter as much, they're sharp as heck to have on your ride!).
Ajax

Post by Ajax »

Hey Bonegirl, Glad to see all those miles on there. I've only had my buddy out a couple of times this year. I even missed WKRP. Hopefully the wife and I will get together for another group ride really soon. I've been too busy fishing lately. (too many hobbies) Shout at your Lockland neighbors the next time you want an impromptu group ride.

Jack
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Just want to congratulate you on your high mile achievement, and Thank You for the run down on your scooter and its parts/performance. You info is really valuable since no on has seem to have racked up so many miles. I'll be trying the Mr Clean stuff on my wife's Pink Buddy this weekend.
Keep on Keeping on.
Dibber
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats Bonegirl! I have not had problems getting an air filter at my dealer (POC)-that is a pretty basic thing. Maybe you should give them a call. Both our Buddys needed air filters in the 3000 's. We do all gritty, dusty city driving and they get pretty dirty. Nothing like Lagerheads though! :shock: How long are peoples tires going? I have almost 6000 on original tires.
louie

Post by louie »

peabody99 wrote:...: How long are peoples tires going? I have almost 6000 on original tires.
i got over 6000 on my back tire and could have probably gotten more. i've got 7500 on the front and still looks pretty healthy.
BoneGirl

Deal's Gap

Post by BoneGirl »

Well, I have 29, 360 miles and we're heading back down to Deal's Gap in the morning for 5 days. That should put me over 30,000 miles easily! Have I told you lately the Buddy rocks! Be safe out there. 3 folks around here have already gone down this spring: 1)Broken ankle, 2) broken leg and 3) broken shoulder blade and ribs. Ouch!!!
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

I finally get my Buddy today! Not the best timing considering it has been raining for the last 5 days. Can't postpone it though; I'm too anxious. Plus, the rain isn't going to let up for at least 10 more days. I just want to get her home so I can park her on the front porch and stare at her. I saw her for the first time yesterday. Dang, she's pretty. :D Can't wait to actually ride her!
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Congrat Lastyearsyou, on your new scoot. Yes they are beutiful. Don't be shy of riding in the rain, just be more careful and slower especially on the turns. I find the stock tires work very well in the rain and on wet roads.
www.twincitiesrider.com
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

I finally get my Buddy today!
Fantastic! Jeez, I feel like you've been waiting for this thing forever - congratulations! And I agree, so long as it's not a monsoon, go ahead and take it for a (careful) spin - riding in the rain can be fun.
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

It's like the skies cleared just so I could go pick her up! Oh my gosh, she is freaking awesome! The shop owner gave me a "crash-free crash course" and took me around the neighborhood making me practice turns, stops, & such. I made it home just in time. The rain to started as soon as I put her on her stand. I'm so happy and relieved. Oh! I can remove the (on order) under my avatar now! :D
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Lastyearsyou wrote:It's like the skies cleared just so I could go pick her up! Oh my gosh, she is freaking awesome! The shop owner gave me a "crash-free crash course" and took me around the neighborhood making me practice turns, stops, & such. I made it home just in time. The rain to started as soon as I put her on her stand. I'm so happy and relieved. Oh! I can remove the (on order) under my avatar now! :D
HURRAY! did your original dealer finally come through or did you go elsewhere? Maybe I missed the update. Congrats! Buddies are SOOOOOO much fun!
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

jijifer wrote:
Lastyearsyou wrote:It's like the skies cleared just so I could go pick her up! Oh my gosh, she is freaking awesome! The shop owner gave me a "crash-free crash course" and took me around the neighborhood making me practice turns, stops, & such. I made it home just in time. The rain to started as soon as I put her on her stand. I'm so happy and relieved. Oh! I can remove the (on order) under my avatar now! :D
HURRAY! did your original dealer finally come through or did you go elsewhere? Maybe I missed the update. Congrats! Buddies are SOOOOOO much fun!
awesome ride isnt it glad you got it
Lastyearsyou

Post by Lastyearsyou »

jijifer wrote:
The original dealer did come through. Not sure where the mix-up occurred exactly, but I let them know I was upset without burning the bridge, so to speak. I mean, I have to keep going back there for tune-ups and such so I had to be kind. I mentioned how much parking had cost me while waiting for the scoot and I asked if I could trade all my parking ticket & parking receipts for a tune-up he said, "it's possible," so we will see. ...And he said he could cut me deal on a Genuine top case. I finally got my scooter and that makes me happy enough to overlook the "troubles" I had.
BoneGirl

Sweet!

Post by BoneGirl »

Lastyearsyou wrote:I finally get my Buddy today! Not the best timing considering it has been raining for the last 5 days. Can't postpone it though; I'm too anxious. Plus, the rain isn't going to let up for at least 10 more days. I just want to get her home so I can park her on the front porch and stare at her. I saw her for the first time yesterday. Dang, she's pretty. :D Can't wait to actually ride her!
I know how you feel! After all these miles I look forward to every day I get to ride and get disappointed when I can't. Enjoy every moment but be safe as heck!
BoneGirl

new paintjob

Post by BoneGirl »

Just got back from Deal's Gap and decided I needed another paint job while there:

Here are the rest of the pictures I took. This place rocks! I had a mechanical failure and a little rain so now I only need 80 more miles to hit the 30,000 mile mark.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78266126@N ... 717010677/
kschulz

Re: new paintjob

Post by kschulz »

BoneGirl wrote:... so now I only need 80 more miles to hit the 30,000 mile mark.
Awesome! So...I assume we'll be stopping somewhere along our ride up to Germantown this weekend to get a pic of this momentous event? :)
Kurt
My computer once beat me at chess. But it was no match for me at kick boxing.
BoneGirl

Re: new paintjob

Post by BoneGirl »

kschulz wrote:
BoneGirl wrote:... so now I only need 80 more miles to hit the 30,000 mile mark.
Awesome! So...I assume we'll be stopping somewhere along our ride up to Germantown this weekend to get a pic of this momentous event? :)
Nope! Doing it today! The weather is beautiful and it's time to rock and roll! 30,000 miles after riding 31 months! Sweet!
BoneGirl

add another 2,000 miles

Post by BoneGirl »

Today I turned 32,000 miles in a 32 month riding time frame. My Pink Buddy's Anniversary is actually June 30th but I had to take 4 months off my riding due to injuries (NOT crash related!). Even at that, 32,000 miles since I bought the scooter 3 years ago is impressive. I just ride as often as I can. Sometimes I travel here and there and accumulate a lot of miles without really thinking about it. I just keep my fingers crossed and thank God I have a great mechanic at home (Thank You, Lagerhead!). He keeps the Buddy running like new and I really appreciate his maintenance skills.

donkin

Post by donkin »

Bonegirl,

Congrats! Great to meet you and your husband at the Gasoline Rally. Did you cross 32K on the way back home?

Safe travels.

Don
Member 2166
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

This is amazing BoneGirl. Have had to do any out-of-the-ordinary repairs or maintenance along the way? Or have you just stuck to the standard Genuine recommended maintenance schedule?

Also (I find this amazing), if you averaged 80mpg, which is probably quite a conservative estimate for a 125cc, it means that you used 400 gallons of gas during your 32,000 mile joy ride, which at an average price of $2.50/gal comes to... drum roll please...

$1000 in total fuel costs. Pretty freakin' amazing.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

comgrats i just rolled 10,000 on my 07 but i weigh about 340 so that must count for something lol. Image
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Cpmgrats Bonegirl. Very impressive considering you are in Ohio. Where is Mt. Healthy?
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

Congrats! Bonegirl... I am jealous.. You are true addictive scooter!
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

:clap: keep it going
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

7eregrine wrote:Cpmgrats Bonegirl. Very impressive considering you are in Ohio. Where is Mt. Healthy?
Mt. Healthy is in Cincinnati; about 5 miles north of Downtown Cincy.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I just received notice this was out. How exciting is this for me to see? Very! Hope you all can read my story and continue to enjoy the time you spend riding, tinkering and enjoying your Buddy scooters!

http://genuinescooters.com/press.html
SCOOT3R

Post by SCOOT3R »

BoneGirl wrote:I just received notice this was out. How exciting is this for me to see? Very! Hope you all can read my story and continue to enjoy the time you spend riding, tinkering and enjoying your Buddy scooters!

http://genuinescooters.com/press.html
Again, Congrats! NOW, you are a scooter star!!!! :wink:
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Go Girl Go! Congrats on the mileage, unbelievable. Genuine should be making commercial out of your ventures. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Did the short in the fuel gauge have anything to do with your scoot running or did the fuel gauge just stop working?? Just keep the rubber side down and keep on riding.
Dibber
www.twincitiesrider.com
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Dibber wrote:Did the short in the fuel gauge have anything to do with your scoot running or did the fuel gauge just stop working??
I was down at Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) and had noticed my fuel gauge was on empty (after having just re-fueled). The bike kept running, though, and as I was getting ready to stop at the top of the Dragon, I noticed I didn't hear the turn signal. I pulled over and had no engine and no anything! Have no idea how or why I got as far as I did. But it was perfect timing. The fuel gauge had shorted everything out. We replaced fuses only to have them blow so we disconnected the fuel gauge and everything else worked. Once we got home, Ben traded his fuel gauge for mine and Voila! everything worked again. So we managed to get a new fuel gauge for his Buddy from the local scooter shop. It was still connected to the control cluster. So now we're both good to go again.