I rode to work... I rode home... nothing happened

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmazza

I rode to work... I rode home... nothing happened

Post by jmazza »

In another thread BuddyRaton brought up that it's easy for (particularly new) riders to get a bit spooked after reading boards like this because no one ever posts "I rode to work... I rode home... nothing happened." Posts tend to be about troubles whether they be crashes, or mechanical issues.

Well all of that changes right here right now.

Today, I rode to a 7:30 dentist appointment and no one tried to run me off the road, tailgate me, or otherwise mess up my world. I parked in a full space at a meter and no one knocked my scooter over nor moved it. I then rode to work (all of 1 mile away) and had another few minutes of pure scooter joy.

I left work after a half day and on my ride home you won't believe what happened. It was really hot and I had a blast. Other drivers did what they were supposed to for the most part, and when they didn't, I was aware enough to anticipate their bad driving and keep myself safe. I even got waved at for no reason.

Then I took a ride to a friend's house to help him install some stereo equipment. I opted to not wear my armored jacket but I was OK! I did have a way cool Harley rider remind me that he could go MUCH faster than I could (ooooh... 55 in a 30!! WOOOO!!!) even though I kept up with him off the line for longer than I think he anticipated. He feels much better about his very expensive summer-only toy now because of my Buddy, which is great!

On the ride home things got really nuts as I decided to figure out a new route out of my friend's new neighborhood and by the powers of Buddy Magic I ended up on my street, pulling into my driveway with an ear-to-ear grin after not having had a single incident.

So today, I rode to work... I rode home... nothing happened. It's a great day to ride a Buddy!!

Who's with me? Post your crazy awesome stories here!
brape

Post by brape »

I got up, I road to school. Traffic was super slow today so I didn't even have to pull over and let some jerk in an suv go 55 in a 30. I pulled up to the motorcycle parking (they finally opened the garage with the motorcycle parking back up w00t) The campus cop stopped and talked to me about the same ole scooter stuff everyone asks. He reminded me to lock up, even tho thats what I was doing.

I got out of class and road home and gave the scooter a bath.

Yep nothing exciting here either :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

:rofl:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
butero

Post by butero »

Today I scooted to work for the first time. It is a 35-40 mile trip depending on the path I take. I enjoyed my ride to work for the first time in my 17 years of being employed. There were no problems, it wasn't hot, and it took no longer than it did if I'd taken my truck. My scooter sat in the lot all day and no one tried to steal it (though I did check on it every so often). I stopped for about $4.50 worth of gas and then scooted home on some of busiest, most frustrating side roads metro Atlanta has to offer. I had to sit in one spot for nearly 20 minutes waiting for a slow moving train, and I even got rained on a bit. I had an experience with a Harley man also, but it was more of an amused nod than a look how fast I can go (he was in heavy traffic also). Of course there were cars doing silly things but I was prepared for such silliness. All in all, my afternoon woes would have ordinarily seen me home in a poor mood, angry at the train, the heat, and the traffic. But, I scooted, so I arrived home with a big smile on my face. My only regret is waiting so long to buy one.
charltons

Post by charltons »

So far, all my rides have been like the ones just posted, with a few variations. I think it's a natural tendency to dwell on the horrific things that could happen.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

I can't really say how many miles I've logged. I think it is in the 100,000 range, given that I commuted 45-65 miles each way to a couple of different jobs on motorcycles. (I've also logged about 15,000 miles on various bicycles.)

There were many days when nothing happened. There were plenty when things did happen. Deer ran out in front of me, as well as cats and dogs. People cut me off. People pulled out of side streets in front of me, backed out of driveways and parking spots in front of me and turned in front of me. People have ridden my ass and passed me in my lane.

Oh yeah, Rhode Island's finest set up a roadblock for me once, in my more reckless days.

Most of the same things have happened to me on my bicycle (except for the roadblock).

I've already had a couple of incidents on the scooter, but they are so old-hat and predictable that I saw them coming long before I had to react.

I've had a couple single-vehicle (me) wrecks on the bicycle and they were both completely preventable and completely due to my carelessness. I dropped one motorcycle, once. I was pulling into my driveway, which is on a steep decline, and I locked the front brake on some wet leaves that I should have cleared from the driveway.

I always feel like I'm going to jinx myself, so I never come right out and say it, but maybe I've been brainwashed.

So, yeah, I got up more times than I can count, rode to work, rode to the beach, rode to friend's houses, rode just to ride, and nothing happened. Nothing in the way of accidents, that is.

With each mile, I get a little more careful, a little more skillful and a little more relaxed. I know there are people out there waiting for their first wreck, but not me.

I attribute a lot of it to the MSF course, but that's just me. I had been riding for a long time before I took the course and only took it as something fun to do with my wife, who wanted to get her motorcycle license. I was experienced and wreck-free before the class, but I learned a lot and felt even safer and more confident after.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

This is, by far, the funniest thread I've seen on many boards in a long time.

Today I rode to work. One slow guy in front of me delayed me a minute or so, so I missed the wave I get from the engineer on the freight train I usually pass.

I picked up my CSA food from John and had a chat with Hollywood, one of the security guards at school. He has a Rattler. He's awesome. Rode home...traffic a bit slow on one of the main streets because I left later than usual. Got the light at an intersection I never get the light. That made me smile.

Got home, parked. Two of the neighbors girls came over for a chat and to show me what they were eating for their snack. Sat on scoot. Didn't get cheese all over it.

Waited for b/f to get home on Vespa. Rode together to liquor store to get some cider and UFO. Yelled at two idiots in expensive Mercedes who were backing up and trying to turn around on a busy street. Obvious they didn't belong in the neighborhood and were a bit scared.

Had a nice chat with the owner of the liquor store. Trying to tell me America is better than Europe. Had some Team America fun.

Rode home. Parked scoots in garage. Good day.

Sleep and repeat.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

At lunch time my wife was busy and couldn't leave work to go eat with me. One of my techs called on the radio and said the Mexican joint was opening any minute.
OHHH, HUNGRY. ON THE WAY. SAVE ME A SEAT. TACOOOOOOOS!

Rode to the hole in the wall good mexican food place. Nothing happened, except I did smell some dog poop at one corner when I stopped for a light. Would have looked at the bottom of my boots but didn't want to fall down. Then I saw the dog still doing the deed! :bleh: Whew, thank goodness. :whew: Would have missed that scent of nature if in a cage. :lol:

Ate. Yum.

Rode back to work, different route. Nothing again. Oh well, maybe later.

Rode home. Yay, looks like rain again. Will this be "Hammered At The Back Of The Bayou, Chapter Four"? Might have to strip down in the garage again.

Yay! Didn't rain at the back of the bayou today! Made it home dry. Dang, nothing happened. Well, one thing did. There's some threads coming loose on the inside of the chin bar on my full face and the wind makes them tickle my chin. Can't decide whether to trim them or leave them be. :D

Gosh, tomorrow's a brand new day! :mrgreen:
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

I scooted to work for the second time today - am taking small steps since the MSF course isn't until July 18th. Still, totally stoked to scoot today.

Woke up early to leave time to get to work and stuff. For once, actually looked forward to getting to work! Scooted there with no incident. Passed, for the first time, 2 areas where man hole covers were open and I had to ride around. That was pretty exciting.

Had a small hiccup at the parking garage when the arm wouldn't raise and it all worked out b/c parking lady said it was because I don't weigh enough. I for real need to lose weight so I decided to take that as an exciting compliment. :oops: I wore an extra jacket today and in hindsight, I should have removed an underlayer as I was kinda hot and sweaty. Took off boots, put on heels, trotted to my cubicle...ahem...workstation...at the office.

Worked all day with my hair in a pony tail due to major helmet hair (see above note about wearing too many layers).

Ran out 15 minutes early b/c I couldn't wait to get back on scooter. Scooter was not moved, knocked over, stolen or messed with. Took off heels, put on boots/helmet/etc. and headed home. No issues with garage arm thingy - guess I ate enough lunch to make me heavier? :lol:

Rode home - had a smooth ride. Nobody cut me off at the intersection where people have cut me off before. Took one right turn a little too wide and thought "mental note...need to practice that" but nobody was on the road so I was safe. Parked scoot and locked up. Wished I had more errands to run so I didn't have to park but I couldn't make any up.

Really the worst that happened other than the too hot issue was that I forgot to go outside and cover the scoot and it just poured down rain 30 minutes ago. Oh well - trip was nice and smooth. Hooray!!!
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

I love this thread!!!

Today was pretty much like most days. I left home about 7am to scoot to work. It's about 5 miles each way. There is a lot of road construction in my area right now so it's fun trying to guess which route will be open today. 800 East is really bumpy because of all the work they've done and now they are getting ready to re-pave it so there are orange barrels everywhere. I'll be glad when it's smooth again.

After work it was about 92 degrees out. I put on my Scorpion EXO400 FF helmet, my Cortech mesh armored jacket and my Cortech armored glove and stayed plenty cool on the ride home. I also have a pair of Hi-Tec Altitude IV boots that I got recently at Sportsman's Warehouse. They are SO comfortable. I wear them all the time, including all day at work (software developer.)

I came home by the same route, but now they've scraped off the surface in preparation for the new asphalt. They left it with big rough grooves in the road that really made Redbud wobble as I drove over it. I just took it slow and easy and got through it ok. I passed a couple of girls on a scooter going the opposite direction and they looked like they were holding on for dear life! When I got almost home, there was a crew working right in the intersection where I turn and I had to go around them, but not a problem on my buddy.

All in all, it was another great day on my buddy. I may go out for a little evening ride when it cools down a little more. Maybe up the canyon or down to the lake. I LOVE MY BUDDY!!! :D
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
Chuck a Spaz

Post by Chuck a Spaz »

I rode to work... nothing happened
At work... nothing happened :lol:
I rode home... nothing happened
Christy

Post by Christy »

I hopped on my scooter this afternoon for a postal run...and a stop at hobby lobby.

I stopped for some ducks that were crossing the street before I even got out of my neighborhood, but my next stop was the post office. everyone saw me and no one tried to back out of their parking space while I was behind them.

Then I went to Hobby Lobby and decided to park on the sidewalk as it's legal here as long as there is plenty of space and i'm not riding on the sidewalk.

Then I came home and coming into the neighborhood I looked for more ducks but I couldn't find any so I came on to the house instead of riding around the park for a few minutes.

Got home happy, albeit very hot. my kind of day.
EPSP #76
sotied

Post by sotied »

Today was boring, so I'll give you YESTERDAY.

Woke up. Thought about Scootle whilst in the shower. Tried to think of things to do on her but knew I had to get some writing done in the morning.

Wrote for a while, did a few blog entries, a column for an online publication and two product reviews for MacNN.com.

Then I got the call - LUNCHIE LUNCHIE!

What did I want?

"I don't care," I practically shouted to my brother. "But I'll meet you at your house."

I had my opening.

Pulled on the jeans, put on the boots, grabbed my mesh jacket and Scootle's keys.

Would have jumped on the fire pole to the basement but I haven't had that installed yet. So I went around the side of the house to the basement door and went inside.

A sharp intake of air when I saw Scootle. She still takes my breath away with her sleek lines and innate beauty.

I walk around behind her (thinking she's like a horse I talk to her so she won't kick me). Then I mount her from the left, insert the key and unlock the bars. Flick on the run switch and press the starter.

She's still on the stand warming up when I pull on my helmet and gloves. Then I blast out of the basement like Batman.

I stop after 14 feet and put her on the side stand and shut her off. Basement key is on Scootle's ring so I can't lock the basement AND keep her running.

Door locked, I hop back on her and creep down the lawn to the street. No traffic coming, a cool breeze coming off the water. I speed toward my brother's house (six miles away maybe).

Traffic is light and the light breeze continues. I goose the bike on a straightaway and get her up to 60BPH. I feel instant response as I weave around manhole covers and other road divots. I grin inside my helmet.

About 80% of the way there I stop at my sister's house. They have a lawn cow that is usually posed in the side yard 'eating' grass. I move it every time I go by. They still don't know who's doing it and I grin even more!

Back on the scoot I go enjoy a roast beef and boursin with my brother, still giggling about the coastal roads that are windy and fun. And also about the cow antics.

Done with lunch I go fill up with gas (see photos of the Verizon Truck fill-up vs. my fill-up).

Then I do some more work and prepare to scoot into Boston for the Boston City Scoots Meet-up. YES, a scooter meet-up!

I blast into town, no issues, no close calls, no idiots.

We drink tea and coffee and talk scooters and the MSF course and the weather and future meet-ups. Then we get eight of us to do a group scoot of about three or four miles to the brand new Apple Store in downtown Boston.

We go inside to view happy iPods and iPhones and i this and i that. Then we shake hands and go our separate ways.

I mount up and scoot back to the south shore noticing that my lights are a little low on the pavement, but that just means I can take my time.

I get home and put Scootle in the basement and have dreams of scooting until morning.

(Today I didn't get quality time with Scootle other than adjusting the headlight - it WAS low.)

Tomorrow is more scooting. 9am breakfast across town. Some errands while I'm out. Then move the cow again later in the day and maybe do my writing at the beach with the laptop courtesy of Scootle who will transport me there.
Attachments
Scootle Tankful.jpg
Scootle Tankful.jpg (81.95 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Verizon Truck.jpg
Verizon Truck.jpg (75.15 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Love the cow!! :rofl:
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

For most of the 10,320 miles I've put on the Budd, it's been ride to work, wonder if riding during lunch would be obsessive, ride home, see if the wife needs something from the store so I can ride to the store, and sulk if I can't ride somewhere else.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

I rode 30 the long way around town today to help my friend break in and learn to ride her BRAND NEW BUDDY 150!!!!!

Nothing happened hehe
Scooting is ZEN....
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Woke up this morning, took the dogs outside for their morning romp, came back inside and checked on the robin nest outside -- my babies are fledging! -- then got myself ready for the day. Hopped on Bubbles for a quick ride to the neighborhood convenience store for a morning paper. (We get free papers at school during the academic year, but I opted not to have home delivery during the summer so I have an excuse EVERY DAY to scoot over for a paper.)

Scoot home to read the paper with a cup of hot tea. Then it's time to run a few errands. Roads were clear, temps approaching 90. Scoot to Ulta to see if they have blue nail polish that will work for Buddy touchups, but they are out of the right shade. Oh well, that gives me an excuse to ride to uber-mall to see if it's in stock there. Yeah! Essie "Barbados Blue" looks like it will work if I'm not completely OCD. Then a stop at Tar-Ghay to pick up some odds and ends.

Took the long way home "just because" I was enjoying the ride. Got waves from a couple of guys on Harleys -- but not from the young jerks on crotch-rockets. Scoots are cool enough for REAL motorcyclists, but not for the wannabes!

20+ miles just cruising around town. No road hazards, no ragin' cagers, and the heat wasn't completely unbearable.

No riding this afternoon, as I was doin' stuff around the house.

Tonight as I was setting out the cans for trash pickup tomorrow I notice the skies look a little sketchy, so I put Bubbles undercover. 10 minutes later:

I'll be glad when my kids finally get all their stuff moved out of my garage and into their own places, so I can put my vehicles where they belong! :cry:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Is that your TT hiding out back there?

I <3 my Roadster. :D
Huh? What just happened?
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Best thread ever.

I rode home in the rain again last night... and got really wet, but nothing happened.
It was a torrential downpour when I left work.So I waited in the parking lot for it to break. 10 minutes later it started to. It was drizzling when I donned my leather jacket and drove out of the parking lot. At my own pace, of course, which was slightly slower then traffic. Drove 2 lane roads when I could so traffic could pass me. When a car got to close behind me I would pull over or into a driveway to let them pass. That only happened twice and I think the cagers appreciated it. Put my foot down at one intersection and my grippy sneakers could feel slippery anti freeze or something on the road. But the Buddy never let me down. Even when I practiced a quick stop on my own street, I could not get the tires to slip.
ferfdom

Post by ferfdom »

TUESDAY -

Teacher on summer break... must make excuses to ride scooter, since work isn't on my schedule right now.

Woke up thinking I'd drive to my nephew's birthday dinner at 5:30, planned my route, decided what time to leave to get there on time and then checked the weather. THUNDERSTORM! New plan...

I NEED A HAIRCUT... PERFECT! Husband needs cash for trip to Cinci, okay - OH! And I promised my cousin's fiancé that I'd pick up some flowers for her!

Pulled on the jeans, kissed husband goodbye and hit the asphalt!
Drove to the ATM - Check - Nice curves and turns to lean into and no traffic at all.

Drove to Fantastic Sam's and parked right out front. No one pulled blindly into my parking spot, knocked over my Buddy or tried to move her... I even got my hair cut by Sam himself (who you usually need an appointment for - so VERY lucky indeed!)

Off to Kroger's (took the longest route I could think of short of going to a Kroger in another part of town) to get the flowers. The bike rack was full, but a beam of light miraculously appeared on another great parking spot. What a flawless day so far!

Strapped the flowers into my front basket and got back on the road to go home. A few minutes into my ride and I noticed the flowers coming loose. As I was taking a corner, out they popped! I did NOT run over them! Whew! I learned that it takes more than one bungee to strap in a bouquet of flowers and made it home without any other incidents...

Glad I got a great ride in during the morning because later that night it poured buckets... My husband even called me on the way to the birthday party to tell me he covered the Buddy for me before it rained!

Great ride and nothing really happened!
doggerham

Post by doggerham »

Tuesday, I made my second scoot to work. Unfortunately, i've had a lot of meetings the last few weeks that require freeway driving and nice hair and clothes!

Anyhow, I packed up my shoes, library books, lunch and purse and headed out. Stopped by the library to drop books through slot. Arrived at work. Debated merits of parking spot by the security booth. Good: right up front, by the security booth. Bad: Low spot that gathers water when it rains. Opted to park there anyway.

Went for a ride at lunch, stopping by library (now open) to pick up book, and stopped for sandwich. Back to work.

Left a little early, as the skies were threatening. Went home on the "busy" street, and no one accosted me or cut me off. Got home before the rain.

Then, had to get in the cage to get on the freeway to go to a 6:30 meeting. Boo!
mjmetts

Post by mjmetts »

Awesome thread... What a great idea to hear everyone's scooter experiences. I enjoyed reading them all.

Well I don't drive a Buddy, but I hope I'm welcome to this conversation.

Last night I took a less-traveled road to church. A dirt road. The Roughhouse actually handled surprisingly well even in the mud. Got nice and dirty so I look oh so hardcore. I live in the country so I rarely see cars when I'm traveling on the back roads. I was passed by two cars on the way.

Got to church and did some yard work with the teens. Let them ride the scooter around the parking lot afterward then off to a friend's house to hang out and spend the night. Really nice ride out to his place and borrowed his hose to give the scooter a bath, not before taking some pictures so I could show everyone how 1337 I am.

Woke up this morning and enjoyed a pleasant, 30 mile, 45 minute ride into work. Passed two motorcycles, one of them waved but we were all smiling wide to be out on the roads in a beautiful morning like this one.

Pulled into work energized and ready to go. Looking forward to lunch when I'll ride it again.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Nothing exciting on my 1##th ride to work: Just saw a dead skunk....correction....please add....smelled a dead skunk.

I tried to hold my breath until I was well past it. The icky smell kind of lingers in my helmet. :bleh:
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

Love it! Fabulous thread!

I scooted to work today without incident. I found de-ox gas right close to home, so hooray there. Had some slow people here and there, but mostly it was easy going. I went zipping by some yuppie in a Mercury Milan in the right lane [him, not me] only to have him immediately gun it to get out in front of me again. Stupid and insecure, but not dangerous, thankfully. Stopped by the grocery store for breakfast, and then back to the office. My only thought was that my commute needs to be LONGER.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

AxeYrCat wrote:Is that your TT hiding out back there?

I <3 my Roadster. :D
Why, yes. Yes it is! I love mine, too, but she's getting a little disgusted by the fact that I'm spending so much time with my new toy! :D
MPA

Post by MPA »

I rode in today and nothing happened. I shouldn't have ridden in as I set my alarm for a car ride in (15 min commute in a car vs 25-30 on the Rattler) but my boss is on vacation for another week and a half so I said screw showing up on time and took the scooter.

I got my helmet and backpack on and headed out and saw the storm clouds - we were due for scattered t-storms today. I questioned my decision and thought about going back to get the car but again said screw it and kept on. I also noticed the amount of bugs on the front from my little trip out the night of July 4th - holy crap - I need to wash this thing as I haven't washed it since I bought it in early May.

I got stuck behind a garbage truck on one of the side streets - he was hitting the trees and getting me wet, but it felt good lol.

I got stuck behind a pickup and a huge dump truck on what is one of my favorite sections. the dumptruck pulled off so we finally got to the speed limit (35mph w000000000000) as the dumptruck was doing maybe 25. I managed to go a diff way at a stop sign and ended in front of the pickup I was following. I opted to skip another fun section but I figured it'd be wet so I took the super crappy bumpy road past all of the big truck places. Thankfully i did as my gas gauge was down to 1 or 2 bars, and who knows how accurate that thing is anyway. Filled up at a station I wouldn;'t have passed if I gone the other way and headed into work.

Headed out at lunch for a sandwich, it was delish.

now I just can't wait to get out of here and head home :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Great stories everybody. Thrilling and enthralling and full of nothing happening! I love it!! Keep 'em coming!

I had another couple rides today where nothing happened except a light turned yellow right at that point where you decide "should I go for it or stop" and I chose to stop and made a very nice semi-hard stop without skidding.

It was sweet.

I also saw some strange three-wheeled bright yellow trike that was loud and cool. It wasn't an MP3, but it was two wheels in the front and one in the back.
mbrider

Post by mbrider »

Found a new way home from work yesterday and I didn't have any problems. Instead of riding through traffic and the well traveled roads, I took a back road home today. No stoplights, little traffic on a road that winds up a river valley. 10 miles of paradise. The speed limit is 50 mph and the buddy handles it well. Even got some lovin' (2 finger wave) from the Harley crowd coming the opposite direction. Coming home from work has never been so much fun!!!! :lol:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

So yesterday, I woke up got dressed ate a quick breakfast and hoped on my Buddy. I rode to work excited because I knew she was going into Ducati to get some sweet Upgrades! Nothing really happened, I probably got 8 out of 10 stop lights while they were green, so it was a super quick ride to work… and I DID NOT almost die. I got to work, and after an hour, left again to ride my buddy to Ducati Seattle. I work only .4 miles from there, so it was a super short, super fast, super safe ride where no one tried to kill me. I dropped off my buddy… its always so hard to leave her in the hands of someone else… I waited patiently at work, only calling them every hour to see if she was done yet… After work I walked the .4 miles back over to Ducati to pick her up… I was anxious to hear what she sounded like now with the near gear… as I walk into their garage the mech is riding her back in from the test ride… Man did it sound SAH-WWEEEETT!!! I gladly paid the kind gentlemen that worked on my buddy and walked out to get on my new beast. As I started her up Ducati Riders turned around to see what had just been unleashed… they all had looks of surprise when they realized it was a 125cc scooter. I rode home, with a HUGE grin on my face… and nothing happened. After sitting at home for about an hour… I couldn’t take it anymore, I had to get back out. So I send out a text message to all my scooter friends in Seattle, checking to see who was out, or who wanted to go for a ride. My friend Phillip calls me and says… “Vespa club meeting just let out… lets go for a ride!” So I head over to the place they were meeting at, and we go out on a 50 mile ride! We were mostly riding in formation, nice and safe. People waved our small group, 4 scooters, through intersections in front of them, and I saw tons of smiles along the sidewalks. On the return trip about 4 miles from home… my buddy stalled at a light… but then I hit the starter, and she started right back up… I think the clutch spring is broken, but she still is ridable! Even with transmission problems, my buddy is able to get me home, and get me to work safely! She is so incredible, my buddy can do anything, and the other drivers on the road, see us, and give us our space. Even tho she broke yesterday… we had a great day, and no one got injured or died!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
sunshinen

Re: I rode to work... I rode home... nothing happened

Post by sunshinen »

jmazza wrote: I opted to not wear my armored jacket but I was OK! I did have a way cool Harley rider remind me that he could go MUCH faster than I could (ooooh... 55 in a 30!! WOOOO!!!)
On my way to work yesterday, I pulled away from an unidentified 50cc scooter and climbed to 55 in a 35. WOOO!!! Because I can, and it is oh so WOOO!!! feeling to go zoooooom when the road is safe and open. And with the wind thru my mesh jacket, it does make me way cool, at least in temperature. :D

Oh, and like most days nothing happened, other than a very Woohoo ride and a chance to wave at another scooterist.
Last edited by sunshinen on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hackett

Post by hackett »

Monday, I rode to work despite the chance of rain. No problems to speak of, but I did have to ride home in the rain. Light sprinkling for the most part, but the last ten minutes turned into a deluge. It was fun, but I was soaked.

Tuesday it was still raining and my jacket was still wet, so I opted for the cage.

Today was mostly dry and the ride was pleasant. One !#$^@ in a Honda ran like hell to make sure she passed me when a two-lane shut down to one, but I saw her coming and rode accordingly.

And in fifteen minutes, I get to hop on and head back home. 8)
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Hmmm, Tuesday (like every weekday) I head to work--no issues, no problems. As usual. I park in the front lot. I talked with the security guy when I first started working there and he was worried that someone might pick up my scoot and steal it as there are no places to lock it up in the open parking lot! But every day I go back out and it's still there.

Off work, down Mingo to 51st (over the railroad tracks) and across 51st to Yale. Rubbernecked a cute girl at the park before turning into the left turn lane and waiting for the light to change. Light changes, and I zip left and then another left into the small parking lot by the duck pond at Lafortune park!

Put the jacket in the Prima bag on back (it won't be stolen in spite of there being no lock on the bag), change shirts and drop pants (hey, I wore running shorts underneath!) and lock the scoot to the crosswalk handrail bars at the edge of the parking lot. Pants and shirt under the seat, hat on head, and off on a swift 3 mile jaunt around the park!

Once done, it was too hot to put the jacket back on so I enjoyed the breeze while scooting up Yale to 31st and then left and right into the neighborhoods to home. Pug and Bulldog show much love at their master's arrival (which means dinner is next, of course)!

A good day to scoot! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
armacham

Post by armacham »

I rode 11 miles to a job interview and back, and then back again in the afternoon for 3 hours of training. Not a single incident for almost 50 miles of riding. My longest ride ever!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I was right, today really was a brand new day! I rode to work, nothing happened. No rain.
I rode home. No rain.
Wednesday is pool day. Did all that stuff and then my daughter reminded me that I had a dental appointment at 6:30. HOT DOG, I GET TO RIDE!
Rode to the dentist, VROOM.
Got another crown.
Rode home. VROOM!

Gosh, tomorrow is another brand new day and I'll get to ride again! Yoo Hooooo! Plus, I'm taking Friday off. VROOOOOOOOM!
sotied

Post by sotied »

What? Another day with nothing happening?

It's like a Monty Python skit. But it's true.

Got my new helmet yesterday, so I put my contact lenses in and grabbed the sunglasses from the car today.

Scooted all over running errands...

Apple Store to get a cable to connect to the LCD projector
Barnes & Noble to buy a Cycle Sport Magazine with info on the Tour de France
Panera Bread Company to sit outside and sip on a frozen lemonade and write a blog entry - http://tinyurl.com/5dslyu
Then I went to Home Depot and bought some lock stuff for Scootle - photos at http://bowlofcheese.tumblr.com/
Finally I zipped around town and back home to rest in the A/C

THEN - craziness of craziness - I went back out at around 6PM. Visited my nephew and showed him the orange motorcycle. Raced home to beat a thunderstorm and then I blogged about the Tour de France, watched TV and opened the package that came today - A BRAND NEW XENA DISC LOCK!

Hope tomorrow is the same. w00t!
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

today i got on modern buddy....read a post....and then refused to give a serious reply so i would not jinx my so far safe record

:)
i am glad you had a good day. i did too.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

sotied wrote:What? Another day with nothing happening?

Got my new helmet yesterday, so I put my contact lenses in and grabbed the sunglasses from the car today.

Panera Bread Company to sit outside and sip on a frozen lemonade and write a blog entry - http://tinyurl.com/5dslyu
Then I went to Home Depot and bought some lock stuff for Scootle - photos at http://bowlofcheese.tumblr.com/

THEN - craziness of craziness - I went back out at around 6PM. Visited my nephew and showed him the orange motorcycle. Raced home to beat a thunderstorm and then I blogged about the Tour de France, watched TV and opened the package that came today - A BRAND NEW XENA DISC LOCK!

Something great did happen today. Mark Cavendish won in a sprint finish in stage 5 of the TdF!! :clap: And did you see George work from the team cars back up to the front?! Dude is strong! Go Team Columbia AND Team Garmin/Chipotle! :clap:
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Every morning when I get on my scooter for my short commute to work, I think to myself, "Self, isn't this scooter awesome?" And then I say to my scooter, "Pinky Tuscadero, I love you so much. You're the best scooter, ever." And then nothing happens.

I wish she would talk back to me, the ingrate....
ModBud #442
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

polianarchy wrote:Every morning when I get on my scooter for my short commute to work, I think to myself, "Self, isn't this scooter awesome?" And then I say to my scooter, "Pinky Tuscadero, I love you so much. You're the best scooter, ever." And then nothing happens.

Do you scratch her behind the mirrors? That might do the trick!!
Xena

Post by Xena »

Mine likes her belly tickled :) It's just really hard to turn her over and do this often...
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

polianarchy wrote:
Careful what you wish for. Sometimes I wish my dog could talk, but then... I'm glad she can't.
"I'm thirsty, let's play! where's my basketball? ooo ooo how about the laser? Can we play with the laser? Laser! Laser! Laser!" (Laser is crack for my dog)
If the scooter could talk?
"Only 20 miles? Not far enough! Let's keep going! I don't care if we ARE home!!!
OUCH! That pothole hurt! Don't do that again!
I DON'T NEED GAS YET!!
Ew, there's another Buddy! Turn around turn around!!
Got a little chilly in the garage last night. How about a blanket?"

Beeping at you to wake you up in the morning???
"Let's go to work man!!!! GET UP!!!!! *BEEEEP*"

:D
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

I debated starting a new thread, but I think this fits here just fine.

The whole "two kinds of riders" thing is BS.

I sincerely do not want to offend anyone who has had an accident (I know someone who lost a leg), but I just have to say it.

People talk about the fatality rate among motorcycle riders being 6-8 times greater per mile traveled than passenger cars. What they always skip over is that alcohol is involved in a significantly higher percentage of motorcycle fatalities than auto fatalities.

They skip over the disproportionately high rate of speeding/racing in motorcycle fatalities.

They skip the fact that 45% of the fatalities are SINGLE vehicle crashes, not some cager hitting an unwitting cyclist.

They skip the fact that in 74% of the multi-vehicle crashes resulting in fatalities, the motorcycle struck the car, not vice-versa.

They ignore the fact that in 77% of multi-vehicle crashes resulting in fatalities, the motorcycle rider took NO EVASIVE ACTION.

The statistics for non-fatal accidents are harder to come by, but they almost certainly line up about the same.

I have not wrecked on a motorcycle and I don't expect that I will. If you are careful, alert and (sorry for sounding like a broken record) take the MSF course, statistically you should be fine.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

Oh yeah, last Friday, my wife and I rode our scooters all through town, scoping out the best place to see the fireworks.

We went down to the river and to a couple of parks. The sun was out, people were everywhere; it was a great time.

We rode all over town and nothing happened.

Except for the people who asked us the usual questions and the guy who walked up and gave me a high-five as I was sitting in the parking lot, waiting for traffic to start moving. I think that may have been because of the blue mohawk, but the scooter played a role.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

n00b4life wrote:I debated starting a new thread, but I think this fits here just fine.

This is great info but NOOOOO!!! This is the thread where I rode to work... I rode home... Nothing happened!!! (so thanks for putting some of that afterward!!!)
sotied

Post by sotied »

DennisD wrote:
sotied wrote:What? Another day with nothing happening?

Something great did happen today. Mark Cavendish won in a sprint finish in stage 5 of the TdF!! :clap: And did you see George work from the team cars back up to the front?! Dude is strong! Go Team Columbia AND Team Garmin/Chipotle! :clap:
Let's all agree not to give SPOILERS. Am blogging pretty much all the time about the Tour. Did it for 06 and 07 and now doing 2008.

Previous - http://www.tdf07.blogspot.com and current http://www.tdf08.com

Enjoy.

By the way - rode 2.5 hours each way on a 140-mile round trip to NH. Had to take back roads (but snuck onto the highway twice to make up some time).

Great ride. Got a callus from throttle.

:-)
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
bunny

My very FIRST post post-first-day-ride

Post by bunny »

I rode 13 miles from west of downtown FW on Belknap all the way up to Hurst. OMFG! It was AWESOME! :D I cannot stop smiling! I will post a new thread about the whole deal...it was really cool!

Anyhoo...I rode home - nothing happened. I even got Bonheur up to 55. Sort of scared me, so I slowed down. Speed limit is 35-40 anyways...took all my turns nice and graceful-like.

Got home, let skids sit on her with me. Not confident enough for a passenger.

Went to show SIL & BIL...SIL is getting an Italia 150 also, but her's won't be in till August...she likey my bikey! :D

Got dark and wanted to get going. MY VERY FIRST NIGHT RIDE! And NOTHING happened. Not a thing.

As boring as it was...it was fabulous!

I will post pics in the morning...for now, I must sleep perchance to dream of Les aventures de Bonheur!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

jmazza

Re: My very FIRST post post-first-day-ride

Post by jmazza »

bunny wrote:I rode 13 miles from west of downtown FW on Belknap all the way up to Hurst. OMFG! It was AWESOME! :D I cannot stop smiling! I will post a new thread about the whole deal...it was really cool!

Anyhoo...I rode home - nothing happened. I even got Bonheur up to 55. Sort of scared me, so I slowed down. Speed limit is 35-40 anyways...took all my turns nice and graceful-like.

Got home, let skids sit on her with me. Not confident enough for a passenger.

Went to show SIL & BIL...SIL is getting an Italia 150 also, but her's won't be in till August...she likey my bikey! :D

Got dark and wanted to get going. MY VERY FIRST NIGHT RIDE! And NOTHING happened. Not a thing.

As boring as it was...it was fabulous!

I will post pics in the morning...for now, I must sleep perchance to dream of Les aventures de Bonheur!
YAY BUNNY!!!
scootermama

I rode to work, I rode home nothing happened

Post by scootermama »

I LOVE this thread...it's so, well inspiring in the most normal kind of way. Kind of like watching a movie not made in America, that goes a long slowly, nothing seems to be happening, but it is lovely and a lot is taking place.

I had a slight feeling of dread today about riding, which I talked myself down from. Put on my new Corazzo 5.0 jacket that I picked up last night, admired the fit, got my things together for the work day. Uncovered my Buddy, Bellaviva and cooed over her, telling her how much I love her and how she is the Best Best Scooter in the world. We set off. Slight breeze, new jacket feels great, sun is shining. I take back roads as far as I can to a busy street I need to get onto to cross the Willamette River. Nothing happens. I take the bridge, going as fast as I like to go, which is still only 35 miles these days. Nothing happens. Take my turns nice and easy and smoothe, reminding myself "look where you want to go". It works so nothing happens. Get to work. Wait all day to ride home. Take a different bridge because the winds pick up around here in the afternoon. Cross the bridge. It's less windy. Nothing happens. Try new route home. Get home.

Nothing happened. It was glorious!
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Drove home yesterday. Stopped at the light by my house. Looked down at the speedo. 499.9. To celebrate 500 I did my first WOT acceleration. It was awesome!! And nothing happened.

Dare I say this one here? lol

Yesterday, just before night fall, my wife needed something from the store for her lunch. I hopped on the scooter wearing a T-Shirt and sandals and helmet. These are Chaco sandals, not flip flops. If you know Chaco I need say no more. Drove >.2 miles to the store. AND NOTHING HAPPENED. In practically no gear.

To be fair, the first time I ever wore shorts on BB and not something I will do often.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

7eregrine wrote:
Dare I say this one here? lol
Say it and say it proudly. I have done that a couple times too to go to a friend's house a couple streets away. I didn't even wear my helmet. I didn't like not wearing the helmet but the shorts/flip flops were alright.

Like you, it's not at all anything I'll be getting into the practice of doing.