My Windshield cut-down adventure

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterMonkey

My Windshield cut-down adventure

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Two days ago I got the large windshield for my scooter. I decided it was a bit(way, way) too big(& the small size way too small), so I would cut it down. Thx. to a link to a post on the Modern Vespa site I got some good directions on how to do it. http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic5052.html
So here's how it went.
Ok here's a preliminary pic of the cut down windshield. Yes it's a bit lopsided, but it's good enough to ride with right now. I'll take it off & sand it down to an even curve when I get some more time off from work.
It wasn't all that hard to do, & mind you I'm not exactly Mr. Handy with the tools. :nerd:
I followed the directions from the link on the Modern Vespa site. I suggest that anyone planning to do the same thing read the excellent directions posted.
Here's what I did:
Step 1: While sitting on Brutus in my normal riding position Sammy my GF marked out 25' w/ a tape measure. Then I slid a piece of paper up the inside of the w-shield until I found the point where I could just see the 25' mark over the paper...marked that point on the wshield w/ a sharpie.
Then using the point drawn on the wshield, drew the outline of the desired new curve on the wshield. Took a large piece of paper & traced that curve onto it.
Step 2: Removed the windshield(it's easy, 4 screws).
I covered the wshield w/ tape from the top to down past the drawn in outline of where I wanted to cut. As suggested in the Mod.Vespa post I used Blue Painter's Tape. This will reduce damage to the wshield by the cutting tool. Painter's Tape is good because it is easy to apply, & has a "Clean Release"(very little sticky residue).
Then using the outline on the paper I drew the desired cut on the Painter's Tape.
Step 3: I used a small roto-tool to cut it down. I was concerned that the roto-tool might melt the wshield so I was hesitant at first, but I cut it slowly,& allowed the blade to cool every couple minutes. So no melting issues. The roto-tool was IMO an excellent way to cut it. I got very little vibration,or other stresses on the windshield,& I got a quick, clean cut. I'm glad I wore safety glasses tho, as I broke several of the little disposable blades,& pieces went flying everywhere.
Step 4: Removed the Tape, & sanded it smooth.
Step 5: Mounted the windshield. Cleaned it off.
Step 6: Did a little Happy-Dance around Brutus,& his new no-longer-looming-huge windshield.
Hopped on Brutus,& Scooted around with a proud grin on my face :clap: :mrgreen:
Attachments
As you can see, the curve isn't quite even, but it's just a matter of a little sanding to get it near perfect.
As you can see, the curve isn't quite even, but it's just a matter of a little sanding to get it near perfect.
new windshield.jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 909 times
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

Very nice work. I think I might have a project for the winter...

Thanks for sharing.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Awesome work!!!! That's the height I want!

Where did that windshield come from?
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

That's the Buddy "Tall" windshield that's shown in the Genuine-Buddy brochures. Your local Scooter shop should be able to get one for you.
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

scootermonkey,
how high is the top of the windshield now in relation to your vision?
I know that you look over it but how much lower than your line of vision is it?
thanks.
Lee
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

It looks great! Nice job. :)
sunshinen

Re: My Windshield cut-down adventure

Post by sunshinen »

ScooterMonkey wrote:While sitting on Brutus in my normal riding position Sammy my GF marked out 25' w/ a tape measure. Then I slid a piece of paper up the inside of the w-shield until I found the point where I could just see the 25' mark over the paper...marked that point on the wshield w/ a sharpie.
Then using the point drawn on the wshield, drew the outline of the desired new curve on the wshield. Took a large piece of paper & traced that curve onto it.
With this measurement, does the wind hit your head or will it still go over it?
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

It hits my head, but not with the same force it did without the windshield.